• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec (Edit: Jan1/..2 ) multi-faceted ptype mess potential...

Typhoon Tip

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I'm only busting Phin's balls... if you love weather, the total cost is very low relatively speaking to everything else in life.  I don't subscribe to any service in the summer.

When you step up into the professional multi-license (so you can view on several computers at once in an office setting) it starts to get pricey. Some WFOs are being denied the funds to open up a subscription, so I consider us lucky to have a 4 license subscription at GYX. It's crazy though, if we didn't I would also be asking Ginx for screenshots of the EPS. 

Spent all our money on the radar page and have nothing left to bandwidth and model data. :bag:

I kid. Mostly.

• Haha 5

Just now, OceanStWx said:

When you step up into the professional multi-license (so you can view on several computers at once in an office setting) it starts to get pricey. Some WFOs are being denied the funds to open up a subscription, so I consider us lucky to have a 4 license subscription at GYX. It's crazy though, if we didn't I would also be asking Ginx for screenshots of the EPS. 

Spent all our money on the radar page and have nothing left to bandwidth and model data. :bag:

I kid. Mostly.

ECK used to ask lol

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, dryslot said:

Its been an outlier, The GFSv16 is replacing it in Feb so i'm going to start weighing it in more.

Technically it's in its test phase. If there are no hiccups between now and February it will replace v15. 

So far the evaluations have been favorable from each region and SPC/NHC/WPC. But you never know what kinds of problems could crop up, and it only takes one issue to fail the test.

10 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Technically it's in its test phase. If there are no hiccups between now and February it will replace v15. 

So far the evaluations have been favorable from each region and SPC/NHC/WPC. But you never know what kinds of problems could crop up, and it only takes one issue to fail the test.

I've noticed it runs a lot closer to the Euro than the old GFS in our winter storm threats....that's a big plus in my book.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I've noticed it runs a lot closer to the Euro than the old GFS in our winter storm threats....that's a big plus in my book.

I think the "worst" reviews" it's had so far have been from SPC and NHC. The NHC doesn't love the significant right of track bias but understands that it can correct for that so gave it a passing grade. Similar with SPC and the low CAPE bias (due to overmixing the boundary layer).

• Like 1

Just now, dryslot said:

Why wouldn't you use all the tools in the box? They get complacent on just using specific models?

Well to a lot of the NWS if it isn't in the AWIPS toolbox then it's not in the toolbox at all. But so much good data is available online now that I'm not sure how one does a forecast without the internet. In fact, if I'm long term now I don't really even use AWIPS beyond analyzing the current upper air pattern. Everything else I use is online (ensemble sensitivity, EPS/GEFS, ensemble situational awareness tool, CIPS, etc).

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Well to a lot of the NWS if it isn't in the AWIPS toolbox then it's not in the toolbox at all. But so much good data is available online now that I'm not sure how one does a forecast without the internet. In fact, if I'm long term now I don't really even use AWIPS beyond analyzing the current upper air pattern. Everything else I use is online (ensemble sensitivity, EPS/GEFS, ensemble situational awareness tool, CIPS, etc).

I remember several years back when Steve (Ginx) and i stopped into the WFO to see Eckster (i think you were off) that you had limited access to the the ECMWF even then.

Just now, dryslot said:

I remember several years back when Steve (Ginx) and i stopped into the WFO to see Eckster (i think you were off) that you had limited access to the the ECMWF even then.

We get the entire 12/00z ECMWF runs at 80 km. No 06/18z. 

So really even for ECMWF stuff the internet has better resolution, more runs, and similar available fields.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

We get the entire 12/00z ECMWF runs at 80 km. No 06/18z. 

So really even for ECMWF stuff the internet has better resolution, more runs, and similar available fields.

Ha, Yeah, That's what Mike had said at the time, We were actually doing an analysis of H5 on my phone because i subscribe to SV.