Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 29-Jan 2 potential storm event

Brian D

7 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Way way less sleet, but way more freezing rain accretion. Judging by storm motion, my area would follow that same general SW to NE line. So I assume somewhere to the NW of me got your epic sleet storm as well. 

The thing about it was the rate at which it fell.  I've experienced a 1" sleet storm before, but it took place over the course of many hours, not 30 or so minutes.  It was just gushing kind of like a severe hail storm but with ice pellets.  

EDIT:  DVN snow total 9.1".  Sleet is incorporated into the snow total so I'm guessing a decent amount of that is sleet.  

Be interesting to see where the confluence zone sets up between the 2 waves.  Couple models were pinstriping some decent snow just north of it yesterday morning.  My temps have been actually dropping as opposed to rising as forecasted.  Been at 32 most of the day now down to 29 and 0 precip thus far. Precip shield is well N/NW still.  Hey man, I can dream :P

31 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Multiple sites in northern IL are reporting freezing rain with temps above freezing.

I have noticed that before.  Not sure why it happens.  I wonder if it's more common when dews are a few degrees below freezing, which is the case right now.

Maybe they report it as freezing rain if the wet bulb temperature is below freezing.

34F and rain again here. Futility records in play 

42 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Multiple sites in northern IL are reporting freezing rain with temps above freezing.

I have noticed that before.  Not sure why it happens.  I wonder if it's more common when dews are a few degrees below freezing, which is the case right now.

That would make sense.  Not sure how cold for how long they were up there but hard surface temps would lag behind air temp increases also, especially if air temps were jumping up quickly.  We had some decent ice here about 3 years ago with the air temp around 27 over the dark hours rising to 35 by early morning when the precip hit.  Had a nice glaze over everything by noon with a temp, and the sun, of around 35-36 before it crashed.  It was weird because the glaze all thawed at once on a sunny afternoon and just started falling off the trees all at once.

53 minutes ago, McHenrySnow said:

I'm sure you'll manage another 8". 

If so, good for the Iowa peeps. Everyone cashes in eventually. Ours just might have been 2014. Hope you we're around for it.:lol:. And round 2 always was a period of ice to rain. On to mid January thereafter it seems.

3 minutes ago, McHenrySnow said:

As far as I'm concerned, the NAM was a slam dunk here. 

This winter along with several recent ones lack of cold air available is a problem. Foraging and rationing of cold air is no way to have a successful winter. NAM depictions of WAA ruling the day will be the gorilla in the corner 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

This winter along with several recent ones lack of cold air available is a problem. Foraging and rationing of cold air is no way to have a successful winter. NAM depictions of WAA ruling the day will be the gorilla in the corner 

And that's been the story of the past several winters. On the bright side about all the sleet we got, it melts much slower than snow. lol

• Like 2