Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

Time to start focusing on the smaller details as the large synoptic features are there.  Where is there subsidence/dryslot issues.  Where will there be enhanced snow areas, fronto and mid-level banding.  Also, time to hand the baton off to the OP runs.

@STILL N OF PIKE and I love obsessing over that haha Miss messenger for that.

• Like 4

I think what is leading to the large amount of QPF and moisture is the development of the strong warm front that every model run produces coming northward off the Carolina Coast.  There is a large temperature gradient on the north side of the front from 925mb to 850mb of almost 10C+ within a fifty mile distance.  That front never passes Nantucket on a majority of the models.  I could definitely see QPF amounts increase throughout the next 36 hours.  HI-Resolution models like the 3km NAM and the ARW 2 both show the onset of snow beginning much earlier tomorrow with the OES bands in the northeast winds as 850mb temps cool to nearly -10C.

Even if the larger bands move inland, this seems like a storm that will keep producing snow bands from the south or southeast, someone will receive the pivot point for this system and where that monster death band/deformation band sits and pivots will determine the final snow jackpot location.  My bet right now, is that the zones of highest amounts are elevated locations just in from the coast in CT, NE RI, SE Interior MA and the Cape.  From Provincetown to Hyannis.  That corridor on the Cape should see amazing amounts.  my top five includes 17" from NEMO and 24 inches from the Feb 25th, 1999 storm.

42 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Also impressiver are the temps from like 800 on down. There is actually low level CAPE. Might be a decent OE signal too in typical spots. The cstl front is hellacious. Could be near 32 at BOS and 18 in BED for a time. Will collapse SE near dawn Thursday.

I told you this like 4 days ago, and you told me I was wrong. Its been clear as day for a while....watch, MHT and you will clean up, and I'll get like 8" of sand.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

IBM lol. Is that the deep thunder thighs model?

You look golden.

I don't like the mesoscale features for this one here....banding signal through NH, and an OES CJ signal se...writing is on the wall, as the atmosphere has every reason to set up subby in this region.

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I told you this like 4 days ago, and you told me I was wrong. Its been clear as day for a while....watch, MHT and you will clean up, and I'll get like 8" of sand.

I never said otherwise, or maybe I misunderstood. I don't mean a pure CJ..just a little contribution. Either way, that is low level stuff and nothing to do with any subby issues. You look good in the mid levels.

10 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Ray for some reason nobody ever says you will be in subby zone . lol I haven’t seen it posted in a storm. Always mid levels look good. They like you better as a happy poster ? Lol Even when banding is better to your NW. now for this storm maybe banding does look good , we shall see what euro does at 12z 

Usually if Interior Se mass to around S shore does well with hellacious low level forcing  there is a ugly sub zone from N side Boston to 495 

My eyes will be looking at the 700mb heights.  Need to watch where that subsidence zone is.  You can see the differences in the models in where they place the snow bands.  NAM I fell is too far N.  The GFS is still too far S.  The Ukie/RGEM/GGEM/Euro(lesser extent) are sort of in the middle.  They bring that subsidence zone over the 495 belt W and N of BOS.  Hopefully they are wrong and we see a more widespread precip shield with minimal breaks.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I never said otherwise, or maybe I misunderstood. I don't mean a pure CJ..just a little contribution. Either way, that is low level stuff and nothing to do with any subby issues. You look good in the mid levels.

I remember I said that there is some OES contribution, and you said its not that type of storm and something about the low position. Anyway, I am going to agree to disagree on OES having nothing to do with where subsidence sets up...unless a mid level deformation band sets up write over me to negate it, but that looks like it could be north and west.

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Ray for some reason nobody ever says you will be in subby zone . lol I haven’t seen it posted in a storm. 

Usually if Interior Se mass to around S shore does well there is a ugly sub zone from N side Boston to 495 

Exactly. I'm not trying to be a dick to Scott, but I feel like sometimes these mesoscale nuances are pretty predictable in hindsight...people overlook it or underestimate the importance.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Exactly. I'm not trying to be a dick to Scott, but I feel like sometimes these mesoscale nuances are pretty predictable in hindsight, but people over look it or underestimate the importance.

I believe a part is They don’t want to hear negativity in a snow storm . Look at Bob’s post . He knows his stuff and like you said looks NW of you . Could shift a tad .

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I believe a part is They don’t want to hear negativity in a snow storm . Look at Bob’s post . He knows his stuff and like you said looks NW of you . Could shift a tad .

Yes.....related to what I said. Its the elephant in the room....if you avoid it, he ends up sitting on your face.

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

His fear of subby is due to like arctic airmasses keeping the best forcing to his south. It's way too early too get cute with banding right now. My opinion is that overall I think he is in a decent spot. I'm thinking of the recent trends showing a better mid level look. It's way to early to talk about subby zones. We have no idea...hell the 12z HRRR tries to sleet here near 12z Thursday lol.

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

My eyes will be looking at the 700mb heights.  Need to watch where that subsidence zone is.  You can see the differences in the models in where they place the snow bands.  NAM I fell is too far N.  The GFS is still too far S.  The Ukie/RGEM/GGEM/Euro(lesser extent) are sort of in the middle.  They bring that subsidence zone over the 495 belt W and N of BOS.  Hopefully they are wrong and we see a more widespread precip shield with minimal breaks.

I doubt they're wrong. I think we see a pretty uniform precip shield S of the Pike but not so pretty on either side of the fronto band north of the Pike. 

6 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Thank you for acknowledging the subsidence elephant.

I missed this post.

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

His fear of subby is due to like arctic airmasses keeping the best forcing to his south. It's way too early too get cute with banding right now. My opinion is that overall I think he is in a decent spot. I'm thinking of the recent trends showing a better mid level look. It's way to early to talk about subby zones. We have no idea...hell the 12z HRRR tries to sleet here near 12z Thursday lol.

No it isn't. My fear of subby if mid level deformation to my NW working in concert with low level forcing to my se (owed to low level fronto (OES)) to pin relative subby hole in this region....and its not too early. Its been clear for days. OES signal to my se...and now a mid level signal to my NW....do the math....its okay, I won't get mad,...you can say it lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1