Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 4th-5th, 2020 Nor'easter

wdrag

18 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

The storm that January 2016 most reminded me of was the first snowstorm I ever experienced on Long Island...a storm that is commonly referred to as February 1983!

That one was also supposed to stay to our south and also occurred in a very strong el nino.

I'll always take a Nino for our area any winter over this crap Nina, endless gushing Pacific air repeating pattern we seem to be stuck in. Hopefully some kind of tropical reshuffle can happen one of these days to make that happen. Seems that even when storms suppress during stronger Ninos that one or more eventually get us. 09-10 was a moderate Nino that turned out well here in the end despite some heartbreaks. 97-98 was overwhelmingly warm for anyone, 82-83 had the monster Feb event and 15-16 had Jonas. When I lived in TX at the time it was also a very stormy regime overall with multiple tornadoes close to me (what winter lacked, severe and incredible rain made up for-heaviest rain I've ever seen and I was here on LI for some good ones) which I'm sure that Nino had something to do with. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

ehhh the two worst busts of all time!

But I feel like the Jan 2008 Heavy Snow Warning bust doesn't get mentioned enough either.  I think that was the last HWS we had?

Or that Valentines Day 2006 sleet storm.... what a horrible mess that was.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

The storm that January 2016 most reminded me of was the first snowstorm I ever experienced on Long Island...a storm that is commonly referred to as February 1983!

That one was also supposed to stay to our south and also occurred in a very strong el nino.

SREF FTW

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

Many on here might be too young to remember March 2001. Models weren't as good as they are now and forecast two days out was for several feet of snow. Ended up with a few inches of mostly slop.

But nothing compares to the January 2015 blizzard. Calls for 2-3 feet the day before the storm hit. 

Forecast:

January 25–28, 2015 Winter Storm/Blizzard - STORM2K

Reality:

Past Events 2015

Forecasted 2-3 feet here for March 2001

Got 5 inches

Got 10 inches from 2015

15 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

ehhh the two worst busts of all time!

But I feel like the Jan 2008 Heavy Snow Warning bust doesn't get mentioned enough either.  I think that was the last HWS we had?

I pulled an all nighter all week for that storm. 6-12 inches forecasted here with a heavy snow warning.

Temps stayed in the 40s the whole time. The storm didn't bomb out until it reached SNE.

Got 0 inches 

36 minutes ago, TriPol said:

Or that Valentines Day 2006 sleet storm.... what a horrible mess that was.

Vday 2007 sleet storm

19 degrees with sleet here 

4 inches of sleet

25 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Forecasted 2-3 feet here

Got 5 inches

I pulled an all nighter all week for that storm. 6-12 inches forecasted here with a heavy snow warning.

Temps stayed in the 40s the whole time. The storm didn't bomb out until it reached SNE.

Got 0 inches 

Vday 2007 sleet storm

4 inches of sleet

You really got 5" from 1/2015 in Sheepshead Bay? Even Central Park had 9"? There were a couple of 15" measurements around Long Beach and pics I saw supported it to me. Again I was living in TX then. 

Otherwise, sucky part about our climate. Appreciate the wins like 1/2016 or the retro-bombs like 12/30/00 or 2/25/10. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

You really got 5" from 1/2015 in Sheepshead Bay? There were a couple of 15" measurements around Long Beach and pics I saw supported it to me. Again I was living in TX then. 

Otherwise, sucky part about our climate. Appreciate the wins like 1/2016 or the retro-bombs like 12/30/00 or 2/25/10. 

He was talking about 2001 and also 2015

I edited my post 

15 minutes ago, Intensewind002 said:

I didn't realize how bad January 2015 was for a lot of my fellow nyc metro weenies until I first started browsing weather forums a few years ago...... It might be my 3rd favorite storm after Jan 2016 and Feb 2013 :ph34r:

Euro and Nam has 2 feet + for NYC a day before the storm was supposed to hit. Upton also put out an afd saying " Dangerous life threatening  blizzard is on the way "

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Euro and Nam has 2 feet + for NYC a day before the storm was supposed to hit. Upton also put out an afd saying " Dangerous life threatening  blizzard is on the way "

Yeah I guess everyone has that one storm that busted that they despise, for me personally it's probably march 2017,  if i remember correctly okx predicted 18" a day or 2 before the storm for western long island and we got 2-3" before it changed to rain. Of course that wasn't as bad of a bust as Jan 2015 though

The March 7, 2018 nor'easter (the first of that month's trio) is an underrated bust for NYC proper, IMO. WSW upgraded to 8-12" for the City the morning of the event, short range models going bonkers, the first wave of snow comes in like a wall... and then the tap just shuts off around noon. IIRC the storm got tucked a little closer to the coast than expected and the CCB tracked west across the city and set up over NNJ, resulting in on-and-off light to borderline moderate snow for the rest of the day. This radar shot from 1:30 that afternoon is pretty representative of most of the event, note the subsidence over the city from the NNJ band and the developing bands over the ocean that would briefly increase snowfall rates before merging with the main band:

us_radarus-en-087-0_2018_03_07_477_KOKX_357_192202.thumb.png.76b172ad88eb04aefe1089303c9d87bd.png

The low rates we got for most of the afternoon just couldn't overcome the marginal boundary temps, which hovered around 34 as soon as the dynamic cooling from the CCB ended. The mini garden in front of my building in Chelsea ended up with 1.5-2" of slush but when I left my office in Midtown you would never have known it had been snowing most of the day. Meanwhile NNJ and the LHV got crushed.

Definitely the worst bust since I moved here in 2017, at least. Behold the suck:

snow.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Forecasted 2-3 feet here for March 2001

Got 5 inches

Got 10 inches from 2015

Got 0 inches 

Vday 2007 sleet storm

4 inches of sleet

and a month later another sleet storm on St Paddy's Day!

2 hours ago, jm1220 said:

You really got 5" from 1/2015 in Sheepshead Bay? Even Central Park had 9"? There were a couple of 15" measurements around Long Beach and pics I saw supported it to me. Again I was living in TX then. 

if we had been alive in March 1888 we would've been dancing in the streets lol

Wantage NJ as of 610A 0.36" so far. Dramatic changes should unfold next 8 hours. Follow local NWS forecasts, statements and your own interp of the models.

I am going with the NAM3K and EC.  However, realize the HRRRX is not as robust as yesterday.  Now we're in HRRR territory (inside 18 hours, so I'll use the operational HRRR to temper my expectations).  GGEM and RGEM are not changing over to snow nearly as fast.  So what follows, may be a little on the high side. Please USE NWS as official guidance. 

I'll add some data as time allows later this morning and afternoon and look forward to all your posts.  

mPING will be useful. 

Banding is developing now and this is going to be a swat for for portions of ne CT and eastern-central MA with thunder by midday and then afternoon bands of 1-2"/hr for a couple of hours-wet snow glop high terrain with valleys much less than elevations (6 or 7 to 1 ratios?). The wind gusts of 45-55 MPH late this afternoon and evening there will, in my non science opinion,  make for a major power outages in the high terrain.  This is based on my anticipation of minimum 4" of wet snow on trees  -wires - road signs  combined with increasing wind gusts this afternoon knocking down limbs etc. Note: I could see some ASOS's in the 4+" axis being muted-jammed accumulating wet snow.   

Anticipating mixing with snow extreme ne PA,  NW NJ and Orange County NY northward, 7A-9A with possibly an inch or so high terrain above 1000 feet, trace valleys. NW CT and w MA should mix and change to wet snow around 10A-Noon, central MA and ne CT around Noon-2P and Boston itself may be delayed til 7-9P. 

Follow local forecasts for amounts in CT-MA...but i can see 5-10" Worcester Hills and 4" parts of the Litchfield and Hartford Counties in CT terrain above 1000 feet with ending there not til mid afternoon, ORH some time evening and Boston sometime after midnight.  (EC has 15-18" from what I can see but this may not take into account melting, compacting and snow ratios)

E LI and se CT I think will see isolated damaging wind gusts near 60 MPH while NYC isolated around 45 MPH this afternoon and 35-45 MPH ridges ne PA, se NYS and NNJ.

Central NJ coast may see a brief burst of 45-50 MPH around 9 or 10 AM??  that I'm least certain of.  610A/5

Added 3 graphics produced by the NWS this morning in their interoffice collaboration. Please use as a basis. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 6.14.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 6.16.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 6.17.53 AM.png

Seems to me...band in far e e PA at 734A I think will be one back band and then a new one will evolve e CT/Central MA midday as the low aloft forms and then drift ne with the closed low this evening to Boston.  Am a little nervous about  3"/hr... ratios are so wet. There could be some barking dogs 9A-3PM in CT/LI as I think thunder is soon.  Note : 42 kt gust at Ocean City MD Weather flow station and 37 knots at Dewey Beach DE past hour.  Coming together fast.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1