Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 4th-5th, 2020 Nor'easter

wdrag

47 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

If the 00z nam verified there would be alot of people jumping off bridges in New England. It won't though. 

its still on the table chances are this storm won't get going till it moves north and only hits eastern maine and points north and east from 18Z NAMref1km_ptype.conus.png

9 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

If you wanted some miraculous way for snow to make it to the coast, the GFS is how you'd do it. It's likely too warm at the surface like always. Wouldn't be significant but could be a quick 2-3" in the CCB it develops. 

plus the follow up storm for the 8th is still on the table and colder air will be available - like that HP in southern Canada with some blocking

gfs_ref_frzn_us_15.png

• Like 1

Good Friday morning everyone, Tough to stomach but my upgraded expectation from predawn yesterday (Thursday Dec 3), doesn't look like it will happen. Instead the base topic discussion from two days ago looks to be my own perception of accurate considerations for the NYC forum. 

GFS HRRR are closest holdouts for high impact, so I don't completely give up, but overall---modeling does not have the 06z/4 HRRR as a consensus solution in our NYC regional forum.  I'm monitoring the 12z and 18z HRRR for trends on precip shield and gusts (it should be further east if all the other 00z/06z operational modeling is reliable).  

HRRR tends to run slightly warm on its profiles.  It is the model that seems to have the comma head precip, furthest west tomorrow morning.  IF that remains the case through the 18z cycle today, then we're in better shape for a higher impact event for LI/CT. 

My 00z-06z/4 model based snow expectation ne PA/nw NJ is Trace -2"; Litchfield Hills in our area 1-4" of snow tomorrow morning. Gusts 45-55MPH e LI and NJ coasts Saturday morning-midday with this mornings D1-2WPC issuance qpf sufficing which says no NEW flooding risk for NJ. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JoshSnow said:

The latest euro run 6z has 1-2 inches for New York City itself I think Long Island may have an opportunity to get 3-4 if that depiction is right as the CCB gets cranking! It’s definitely chilly this morning a lot colder than I thought it would be!

I assume you're talking inches of rain not snow?    Eastern areas favored for sure for heaviest precip-sharp QPF cutoff on the Euro west of NYC

1607346000-IqcGBqKhB5g.png

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JoshSnow said:

The latest euro run 6z has 1-2 inches for New York City itself I think Long Island may have an opportunity to get 3-4 if that depiction is right as the CCB gets cranking! It’s definitely chilly this morning a lot colder than I thought it would be!

Image ? I am seeing no snow at all unless the models are too warm with the ccb.

10 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Image ? I am seeing no snow at all unless the models are too warm with the ccb.

The storm doesn't really mature until it's mostly past this area. The CCB develops late, just in time for it to wallop Central and Northern New England. Even the 06z GFS has jumped ship for our area and now has the more suppressed solution. Someone in New Hampshire is going to get well over a foot of snow.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The storm doesn't really mature until it's mostly past this area. The CCB develops late, just in time for it to wallop Central and Northern New England. Even the 06z GFS has jumped ship for our area and now has the more suppressed solution. Someone in New Hampshire is going to get well over a foot of snow.

Welcome to La Nina winters 

7 minutes ago, JoshSnow said:

Snow buddy snow

8F1CD3BB-DC04-4ABD-87EF-321AC4D20AA5.png

Dude come on

Even i know that's nothing

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Weenie 1

34 minutes ago, JoshSnow said:

The only way we get any snow is if the CCB really blossoms over our area and can bring some cold air down for a time. If it develops too late (which is likely) it’ll be a cold rain that we watch develop into a big snow event as it does get together for New England including possibly Boston. 

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The only way we get any snow is if the CCB really blossoms over our area and can bring some cold air down for a time. If it develops too late (which is likely) it’ll be a cold rain that we watch develop into a big snow event as it does get together for New England including possibly Boston. 

This storm could have been a good one for us if there was cold air already in place or if the storm bomb out near SNJ.

The low track and the strength is really good for  our area but the airmass sucks.

39 minutes ago, JoshSnow said:

40 minutes ago, JoshSnow said:

No not really

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoshSnow said:

I was just pointing out what the best model in the world depicted! I still think we can get some snow in New York and especially Long Island and western Connecticut as the low pulls out and it bombs out.

with temps in the 40's and the ground saturated by 2 inches of rain?  LOLZ

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sferic said:

So for tomorrow's storm no use looking at today's model runs for NW NJ and the Catskills; this is a New England special, no western nudging possible, right ?

I think It's pretty much a non event N and W. I'm a little north of 84 and we are looking like .50 liquid and very little if any frozen. It is what it is. 

14 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Maybe. Looking more and more like a late developer that slams eastern New England like a warmer version of Juno. CCB blows up and it snows like crazy right down to the coast in Mass. Just forms too late for us here and the beforehand airmass is awful. 

Would this be considered a Miller B?  Those are the ones most likely to have precip patterns like this.

2 hours ago, jm1220 said:

You guys think this is bad....look up Feb 1989 lol.  A busted forecast for 8 inches of snow, we got inches of virga instead.

4 hours ago, wdrag said:

Good Friday morning everyone, Tough to stomach but my upgraded expectation from predawn yesterday (Thursday Dec 3), doesn't look like it will happen. Instead the base topic discussion from two days ago looks to be my own perception of accurate considerations for the NYC forum. 

GFS HRRR are closest holdouts for high impact, so I don't completely give up, but overall---modeling does not have the 06z/4 HRRR as a consensus solution in our NYC regional forum.  I'm monitoring the 12z and 18z HRRR for trends on precip shield and gusts (it should be further east if all the other 00z/06z operational modeling is reliable).  

HRRR tends to run slightly warm on its profiles.  It is the model that seems to have the comma head precip, furthest west tomorrow morning.  IF that remains the case through the 18z cycle today, then we're in better shape for a higher impact event for LI/CT. 

My 00z-06z/4 model based snow expectation ne PA/nw NJ is Trace -2"; Litchfield Hills in our area 1-4" of snow tomorrow morning. Gusts 45-55MPH e LI and NJ coasts Saturday morning-midday with this mornings D1-2WPC issuance qpf sufficing which says no NEW flooding risk for NJ. 

I very much doubt we will see 1" of rain let alone 1" of snow.  You worked so hard Walt, it isn't your fault, the cut off was just too sharp with this and for some storms, you really can't pin down details until within 48 hours.