Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2020

George BM

12 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

That’s the one thing that’s funny about me looking at all these condos in ski towns: I hate skiing. I probably just need better lessons, but I can’t turn or stop to save my life. I’ve got good balance and can go down the hills themselves but the only way I can stop is wiping out.

I blame my bad knees. Lame excuse for a young guy but swimming took a lot out of them.

You’re probably trying to turn and stop in too short of a distance. One thing that took me a while to learn is that you can’t make right angle turns. Trying to ski almost perpendicular to the slope wears you out and it’s very difficult to turn moving slowly. Point those skis downhill and just simply “swish “ the back off your skis back and forth constantly. You won’t build any speed that way and will feel safe. Same thing with stopping. Turn slightly one way then come back to the other side. Give yourself plenty of room to do this. Start stopping 30 yards before you have to. Once your speed is slow enough just kick the backs of your skis around and skid to a stop. I could show you better than I’m probably explaining it. But one thing is certain you won’t enjoy skiing until you point those skies down the mountain.

I really don't understand why BWI is the official reporting station for Baltimore.  I get that you don't have as much as an UHI issue but the airport is over 10 miles south if the city. Are there any other major cities that use a location that far away and south no less. You wouldn't want to use the inner harbor for obvious reasons but say a park in North Baltimore and you would  get a truer representation especially in marginal events like yesterday's where every mile north you go means something. Aside from the airports NY uses Central Park.  If the distance was reversed and let's say they used some location 10 miles due north of downtown that would probably be the Timonium area. Then the average would jump to 24 or so. Then that may be a little to high. You wouldn't use a location that far north so why use one that far south. An area like Roland Park would be a perfect location. Are airports mandatory to be recording stations? I guess thing even out in the long run but it seems most people from the city area received more than 1.6.

12 hours ago, nj2va said:

I bought skis two winters ago and we have Wisp season passes. I’ve gotten a bit better but I still suck at skiing. I also don’t enjoy it all that much..it’s just that I feel like I should like it. :lol:

Skiing is a tough sport.  It's cold, very expensive, and takes a lot of practice and significant investment of time and resources ($) to get proficient enough to even begin to enjoy it.  I was not fortunate enough nor financially enabled to start early - first time I skied was as a senior in high school and it was an ugly experience.  Tried it again after college when I had the time and a little more resources, but never took any lessons.  Just did it.  Then my first assignment in Europe in the late 80's I dove in full bore.  Skied all over the Alps, and then Japan and New Zealand later on and have some great memories.

Started on alpine skis in the 80's (the "normal" skis).  A lot of people get turned off to skiing from the onset by the clanky, bulky and extremely uncomfortable plastic alpine boots which can be a challenge to fit properly and even more difficult to walk in.  I transitioned to telemark skis and leather boots in the late 80's and have never gone back to alpine gear since.  Telemark is also known as free heel skin since the binding only latches onto the front of the boot.  You see folks doing downhill bending down on one knee on ever corner.  The gear is much lighter, has the option to use leather boots, which are actually comfortable to walk in and can accept ice crampons if you are hiking up steep terrain in the mountains.  Likewise, you can put skins on the bottom of the telemark skis and climb uphill to go off-piste to get to fresh powder - meaning, you can ski anyplace there is a hill and don't need a lift.  

Just a thought as an alternative means to enjoying the skiing experience, with ski gear that is far more comfortable too.  

50 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

I was just reminiscing about the awesome December 2009 storm.  11 years ago today was our office holiday party and I was checking the model runs between having drinks and fun.  I remember a post by one of the Moderators saying "welp, it's just about time for the Euro to pinch on off in the punch bowl" and another guy (Ian maybe?) said "If this goes bad I will intentionally roll my car on I-70"

The Euro run was great and we had no stress leading up to that incredible storm.  I cannot believe it's been 11 years! 

Ha, this time that year I was going insane trying to talk the hotel into letting wedding guests come up a night early and get the same rate for their rooms as they paid for Saturday. Was calling vendors to see if they could come up Friday night instead of Saturday, calling friends, family, etc. not sure I got a lick of work done that day. :lol: 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

That’s the one thing that’s funny about me looking at all these condos in ski towns: I hate skiing. I probably just need better lessons, but I can’t turn or stop to save my life. I’ve got good balance and can go down the hills themselves but the only way I can stop is wiping out.

I blame my bad knees. Lame excuse for a young guy but swimming took a lot out of them.

You probably aren’t balancing your weight properly or transferring weight between skis on turns.  Without proper weight distribution the mechanics become difficult. Your weight should be centered on the balls of your feet when aimed downhill. Most beginners lean back as a defensive reflex and end up riding the tails and that’s bad because most of your control comes from the front of the ski. As you turn always distribute your weight to the downhill ski. When I’m teaching people I often lift one ski up and ski entirely on one ski at a time to make the point.  Once you master the weight distribution the rest comes easier. To stop you execute a turn only sharper. But right as you would begin to turn uphill instead you lean into the slope and dig your edge into the snow. The first few times you will likely spin out a bit. That’s ok. At some point the “feel” just clicks and you’re good to go. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 40westwx said:

This will go down as the worst winter storm ever for me... I say this with a heavy heart.. earlier today my son took our Great Dane out to play in the snow... as he was galloping through the snow he collapsed and suddenly died.. he was extremely healthy.. it makes no sense.. I had to put him in the car in the front yard and take him to the vet to get him cremated.. 

It happened in front of all the neighbors... I feel like this isnt real or something...

Wow so sorry for your loss. 

I used to live near your 'hood off Old Columbia Pike near old town Ellicott City b4 we moved out to Washington County 14 years ago. I barely recognize the area anymore.

New member here but a long time lurker. Just wanted to say hello and I’ve learned a lot reading some real quality analysis by posters in here. This past storm and a few minutes of free time from the birth of our third son today spurred me to join. Hopefully we all get some more snow this year. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, HighStakes said:

I really don't understand why BWI is the official reporting station for Baltimore.  I get that you don't have as much as an UHI issue but the airport is over 10 miles south if the city. Are there any other major cities that use a location that far away and south no less. You wouldn't want to use the inner harbor for obvious reasons but say a park in North Baltimore and you would  get a truer representation especially in marginal events like yesterday's where every mile north you go means something. Aside from the airports NY uses Central Park.  If the distance was reversed and let's say they used some location 10 miles due north of downtown that would probably be the Timonium area. Then the average would jump to 24 or so. Then that may be a little to high. You wouldn't use a location that far north so why use one that far south. An area like Roland Park would be a perfect location. Are airports mandatory to be recording stations? I guess thing even out in the long run but it seems most people from the city area received more than 1.6.

The problem is we probably care way more then whoever made the decision. 

5 hours ago, RDM said:

Skiing is a tough sport.  It's cold, very expensive, and takes a lot of practice and significant investment of time and resources ($) to get proficient enough to even begin to enjoy it.  I was not fortunate enough nor financially enabled to start early - first time I skied was as a senior in high school and it was an ugly experience.  Tried it again after college when I had the time and a little more resources, but never took any lessons.  Just did it.  Then my first assignment in Europe in the late 80's I dove in full bore.  Skied all over the Alps, and then Japan and New Zealand later on and have some great memories.

Started on alpine skis in the 80's (the "normal" skis).  A lot of people get turned off to skiing from the onset by the clanky, bulky and extremely uncomfortable plastic alpine boots which can be a challenge to fit properly and even more difficult to walk in.  I transitioned to telemark skis and leather boots in the late 80's and have never gone back to alpine gear since.  Telemark is also known as free heel skin since the binding only latches onto the front of the boot.  You see folks doing downhill bending down on one knee on ever corner.  The gear is much lighter, has the option to use leather boots, which are actually comfortable to walk in and can accept ice crampons if you are hiking up steep terrain in the mountains.  Likewise, you can put skins on the bottom of the telemark skis and climb uphill to go off-piste to get to fresh powder - meaning, you can ski anyplace there is a hill and don't need a lift.  

Just a thought as an alternative means to enjoying the skiing experience, with ski gear that is far more comfortable too.  

I was lucky. Didn’t learn until I was 18 and everyone said how hard it would be and it took me about 3 runs to just figure it out. But I think it helped that I was in shape (then) from playing soccer at PSU plus I had played street hockey on roller blades growing up in NJ. A lot of the balance is somewhat similar. Just took a few runs to figure out the details. Now golf....I feel like someone invented that sport as a bad joke. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic