Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2020

George BM

Just now, Fozz said:

Yes. I resent anyone who wants to abolish snow days just because we have remote learning.

I really hope most of the country learns to follow Jefferson county’s example.

Yeah but there’s a flip side to that coin. There are also snow days that are really not snow days. There are “it’s too cold days” and there are “the roads were bad at 6:30 am days”. Big snows, yeah go have a little fun. But we also don’t need 12-15 of them like we do out here sometimes.

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

Yeah but there’s a flip side to that coin. There are also snow days that are really not snow days. There are “it’s too cold days” and there are “the roads were bad at 6:30 am days”. Big snows, yeah go have a little fun. But we also don’t need 12-15 of them like we do out here sometimes.

I agree. Some of those faux snow days have gotten silly, but the real snowstorms are absolutely worthy of a nice day off. I think 2-4 per year would be sufficient.

17 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I know our SOP is going to be that if it’s so bad that the central admin is closed then there will be no virtual instruction. Otherwise there will be.

My county has “half day” Wednesdays. Gives teachers a chance to breathe a bit, so the kid only has class for 45 min in the morning and she’s done. Really couldn’t have planned a snow/sleet storm better with regards to the day it’s happening. She can get her school stuff done and then enjoy the snow in the afternoon 

2 minutes ago, MacChump said:

They did the same for Thursday at my kids’ schools, and gave the same rationale. Of course, we are likely getting *maybe*  4 inches of snow and then crazy sleet/rain so it’s sort of crazy but I’m cool with it. 

Here’s the relevant portion of the email we received today:

As for the snow days, we are blessed in Garnet Valley to have the hardware, software, and expertise to teach our students virtually. However, as parents and/or educators we also recognize that the first snow is a special occasion, especially when it falls during the holiday season. As a result, we are using one of the three snow days that are built into our calendar to provide our children a reprieve from the disruptions and restrictions that COVID has brought to their lives so that they can get away from the screens and enjoy some fun outside. I believe fun has been sorely missed by our kids, and we need to find a way to provide it–albeit with all of the appropriate health precautions. Additionally, with the amount of forecasted snow, we wanted to guard against power outages, network issues, etc.

As with every decision that we make during the pandemic, I’m sure that there will be those who adamantly oppose my decision, as there will be an equal number who support it. Nevertheless, understand that we remain committed to getting our students back in school for in person learning as quickly and safely as possible. We also remain committed to their social and emotional health, so although a snow day during virtual learning may sound counterintuitive, how much more can we possibly impose on our kids? One day over the nine months of this pandemic, we believe, is a worthwhile accommodation. Finally, we need to acknowledge that our school community also needs consistency, and we believe that our plan meets these factors as well as possible given the known and unknown challenges that currently exist. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacChump said:

Good luck. Went through this recently with our dog. He ate a towel. A really, really, really expensive towel. Hope yours is Ok. 

Oh man, that sounds terrible. Our puppy eats everything too, in fact he had gotten into one of the bathroom trash cans yesterday and puked it all up this afternoon. Damn dogs lol

59 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Sorry to hear that.  I've been through this with two dogs.  :(

Thank you! Still not sure what exactly happened, or why, but she checked out okay at the ER vet. She collapsed, or fainted, or something prior to dinner. Reminded me of a cow tipping over, only way I can describe it. Will have to follow up with our vet and keep an eye on her. Appreciate the warm thoughts. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Sleet is way better than rain. If a sleet fest happens, still better than anything that happened last winter. 

Ugh, I know. I hate sleet though. It’s crunchy and gross and you can’t make a snowman. lol

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

That is true - but you are near or live on a hill, maybe? A real sleet fest would make some pretty great sledding...

Not in our yard, too gentle of a slope. But good friends three houses up the road have a sweet one in their backyard, may show up there unannounced in the afternoon lol

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic