Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2020

George BM

17 minutes ago, 5-4-3DP said:

New member here but a long time lurker. Just wanted to say hello and I’ve learned a lot reading some real quality analysis by posters in here. This past storm and a few minutes of free time from the birth of our third son today spurred me to join. Hopefully we all get some more snow this year. 

Congrats and welcome!

44 minutes ago, 5-4-3DP said:

New member here but a long time lurker. Just wanted to say hello and I’ve learned a lot reading some real quality analysis by posters in here. This past storm and a few minutes of free time from the birth of our third son today spurred me to join. Hopefully we all get some more snow this year. 

Welcome! Congrats on the birth of your son

7 hours ago, HighStakes said:

I really don't understand why BWI is the official reporting station for Baltimore.  I get that you don't have as much as an UHI issue but the airport is over 10 miles south if the city. Are there any other major cities that use a location that far away and south no less. You wouldn't want to use the inner harbor for obvious reasons but say a park in North Baltimore and you would  get a truer representation especially in marginal events like yesterday's where every mile north you go means something. Aside from the airports NY uses Central Park.  If the distance was reversed and let's say they used some location 10 miles due north of downtown that would probably be the Timonium area. Then the average would jump to 24 or so. Then that may be a little to high. You wouldn't use a location that far north so why use one that far south. An area like Roland Park would be a perfect location. Are airports mandatory to be recording stations? I guess thing even out in the long run but it seems most people from the city area received more than 1.6.

Philadelphia International Airport is about 10 miles SSW of Center City.

7 hours ago, HighStakes said:

I really don't understand why BWI is the official reporting station for Baltimore.  I get that you don't have as much as an UHI issue but the airport is over 10 miles south if the city. Are there any other major cities that use a location that far away and south no less. You wouldn't want to use the inner harbor for obvious reasons but say a park in North Baltimore and you would  get a truer representation especially in marginal events like yesterday's where every mile north you go means something. Aside from the airports NY uses Central Park.  If the distance was reversed and let's say they used some location 10 miles due north of downtown that would probably be the Timonium area. Then the average would jump to 24 or so. Then that may be a little to high. You wouldn't use a location that far north so why use one that far south. An area like Roland Park would be a perfect location. Are airports mandatory to be recording stations? I guess thing even out in the long run but it seems most people from the city area received more than 1.6.

Philadelphia International Airport is about 10 miles SSW of Center City.

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

The problem is we probably care way more then whoever made the decision. 

I was lucky. Didn’t learn until I was 18 and everyone said how hard it would be and it took me about 3 runs to just figure it out. But I think it helped that I was in shape (then) from playing soccer at PSU plus I had played street hockey on roller blades growing up in NJ. A lot of the balance is somewhat similar. Just took a few runs to figure out the details. Now golf....I feel like someone invented that sport as a bad joke. 

PSU, Agree on the skating angle.  It helped me a lot with skiing too.  Been an avid roller skater and speed skater on quads and inlines for nearly 60 years.  Played hockey on quads in the 70's and 80s, but with inlines I've only used racing inlines with low cut boots and big wheels.   The balance, sliding/drifting and weight transfer on skates is definitely an asset to getting down the hill.  

My first time skiing was on a "massive" hill in Ohio with a 300 foot drop NW of Columbus.  The second time in my life was the next year in Switzerland summer skiing on the glacier in the shadow of the Matterhorn.  Relatively benign terrain for an expert, but terrifying for a second time beginner.  Went there with a Swiss foreign exchange student who stayed with my family for a year during HS in Ohio, and then again for a year during college.  She was bored to death on the glacier, but graciously helped me  survived.  (The Swiss are born with skis on their feet).  

Little did I know then in 81 that I'd be living in Germany just a few years later and make dozens of trips to Zermatt where I skied my arsh off.  Skiing just one day in Zermatt with more than 8000 feet of vertical is more skiing than an entire season of going every weekend to 7-Springs in PA (which I used to do when single).  Spent a lot of time at the Springs with a great group of telemark skiers.  Fond memories of many late nights in the Foggy Goggle.  

Ahhh, the good ole days...  

39 minutes ago, RDM said:

PSU, Agree on the skating angle.  It helped me a lot with skiing too.  Been an avid roller skater and speed skater on quads and inlines for nearly 60 years.  Played hockey on quads in the 70's and 80s, but with inlines I've only used racing inlines with low cut boots and big wheels.   The balance, sliding/drifting and weight transfer on skates is definitely an asset to getting down the hill.  

My first time skiing was on a "massive" hill in Ohio with a 300 foot drop NW of Columbus.  The second time in my life was the next year in Switzerland summer skiing on the glacier in the shadow of the Matterhorn.  Relatively benign terrain for an expert, but terrifying for a second time beginner.  Went there with a Swiss foreign exchange student who stayed with my family for a year during HS in Ohio, and then again for a year during college.  She was bored to death on the glacier, but graciously helped me  survived.  (The Swiss are born with skis on their feet).  

Little did I know then in 81 that I'd be living in Germany just a few years later and make dozens of trips to Zermatt where I skied my arsh off.  Skiing just one day in Zermatt with more than 8000 feet of vertical is more skiing than an entire season of going every weekend to 7-Springs in PA (which I used to do when single).  Spent a lot of time at the Springs with a great group of telemark skiers.  Fond memories of many late nights in the Foggy Goggle.  

Ahhh, the good ole days...  

Sounds a little like Revelstoke.  They have about 6000 ft of vertical. Bombing down that really burns by the last 1000 feet. 

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

You will get yours this year. The pattern looks at least decent. The last 2 years you really had no chance. 

I agree. I don’t think we get skunked that bad this year, but it does burn a little to see folks not far away get off to a flying start.

50 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I know. You made it abundantly clear in the main thread. :lol: 

I think I saw you posting about your little ones playing in what did fall though. Hopefully you’re able to get something soon. I was in the park today and there were kids playing and it just felt nice to see some semblance of normalcy for them. 

I had to drop my relative misery in there for all to see. :lol:

Yeah...the kids did have fun in what fell. I always have to remind myself that kids just revel in what’s in front of them - they don’t care about models or correlation coefficient or any of that. Just pure, unadulterated fun.

It really is great when you see kids enjoying themselves right now. We’re lucky in that we have a “pod” of families with kids around the same age as ours who have been playing together for months now, and (knock on wood) we’ve been OK to this point. But there’s just something so special about kids playing in the snow...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Sounds a little like Revelstoke.  They have about 6000 ft of vertical. Bombing down that really burns by the last 1000 feet. 

Wasn't sure what or where Revelstoke is.  (looked it up)  It used to be Jackson Hole and Whistler Blackcomb vied for the greatest vertical in N. America at around 4000' of vertical.  But that info is dated and I see Revelstoke has a little over 5000' of vertical.  Cool.  

Only place west of Ohio I've skied was Squaw Valley.  It was disappointing after the Alps.  The snow was great quality.  It was the terrain that was a let down.  And the rules...  don't do this, don't do that, can't ski there or the Ski Patrol will punch your ticket and/or arrest you.  It was crazy.  In the Alps you can ski anyplace you want, but are held responsible if you muck up and/or get injured off-piste.  If you've never skied the Alps before, highly recommend it.  

Just now, RDM said:

Wasn't sure what or where Revelstoke is.  (looked it up)  It used to be Jackson Hole and Whistler Blackcomb vied for the greatest vertical in N. America at around 4000' of vertical.  But that info is dated and I see Revelstoke has a little over 5000' of vertical.  Cool.  

Only place west of Ohio I've skied was Squaw Valley.  It was disappointing after the Alps.  The snow was great quality.  It was the terrain that was a let down.  And the rules...  don't do this, don't do that, can't ski there or the Ski Patrol will punch your ticket and/or arrest you.  It was crazy.  In the Alps you can ski anyplace you want, but are held responsible if you muck up and/or get injured off-piste.  If you've never skied the Alps before, highly recommend it.  

Their lift served vert is about 5600 I think...but its about 6000 if you start from the hike to terrain at the sub peak.  I especially like the north bowl drop into the alpine off piste terrain on the back side though.  Only about 3000 vert to that I think but its the best terrain.  The front side is mostly really long cruisers that are good to bomb down at the end of the day.  When were you skiing at Squaw?  I've not been there...but most resorts out west have an open policy with natural terrain now.  I know that was not so when I first started getting into skiing in the 90s...but has changed since.   Not sure how "liberal" you want it to be though...they do typically have "access gates" to the "out of bounds" terrain with warnings and disclaimers.  Jackson asks that you use a transponder if venturing into the avalanche terrain...but I don't think they will do anything if you dont...you just might not make it if something goes wrong.   I have skiied extensively "out of bounds" at Utah, Jackson Hole, Revelstoke and Aspen/Snowmass and never had an issue.  The other new thing is opening up natural terrain "in bounds".  Vail opened blue sky which is a whole mountain of mostly natural terrain to play with.   Revelstoke's whole north side has huge areas of natural terrain in bounds.  You don't really have to go out of bounds to get the out of  bounds experience anymore.  

I want to ski Europe someday...just has never worked out.  

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Their lift served vert is about 5600 I think...but its about 6000 if you start from the hike to terrain at the sub peak.  I especially like the north bowl drop into the alpine off piste terrain on the back side though.  Only about 3000 vert to that I think but its the best terrain.  The front side is mostly really long cruisers that are good to bomb down at the end of the day.  When were you skiing at Squaw?  I've not been there...but most resorts out west have an open policy with natural terrain now.  I know that was not so when I first started getting into skiing in the 90s...but has changed since.   Not sure how "liberal" you want it to be though...they do typically have "access gates" to the "out of bounds" terrain with warnings and disclaimers.  Jackson asks that you use a transponder if venturing into the avalanche terrain...but I don't think they will do anything if you dont...you just might not make it if something goes wrong.   I have skiied extensively "out of bounds" at Utah, Jackson Hole, Revelstoke and Aspen/Snowmass and never had an issue.  The other new thing is opening up natural terrain "in bounds".  Vail opened blue sky which is a whole mountain of mostly natural terrain to play with.   Revelstoke's whole north side has huge areas of natural terrain in bounds.  You don't really have to go out of bounds to get the out of  bounds experience anymore.  

I want to ski Europe someday...just has never worked out.  

I skied Squaw in early 92 - Feb I think.  Great to hear they've relaxed policies and opened things up out west.  The liability situation back then was out of control.  Skiing is an inherently risky endeavor and it's incumbent upon all participants to take the necessary precautions.  

Used to love going out of bounds - with beacon, shovel and probe poles of course.  FYI - the Japanese thought it was crazy to go under the rope.  There's a rope there so that means ya gotta stay on the trail side of it (intentional sarcasm there).  The trails get so crowded in Japan it's incredible to just watch the draconian motion in play, which mere feet on the other side of the rope is amazing powder most avid skiers would die for.  Overall, Japan has absolutely some of the best snow I've ever encountered.  Hiked up and skied down Mt. Fuji with 2 snow-boarders in 97.  That was an unforgettable experience I'll likely never be able to do again.  Was a crystal clear day with unlimited visibility.    

There's some great back-country routes in the Alps and a lot of ski-touring if you're into that.  It's a great way to get off the beaten path.  Most of the Europeans use randonee equipment and the hut routes can get crowded in late Spring.  Also a lot of glaciers, which pose hazards of multiple forms.  

Sadly, I've not skied for several years.  Still have all the gear, but my conditioning is currently non-existent and hitting the slopes would be ugly.  The last 10 years have taken a toll with too much work etc, but it's better than the alternative.  

In general, the Alps are more stark in elevation contrast compared to out west (a very general comparison).  In the Rockies, where I've traveled a lot, when you go down in the valley bottoms you're still at 6k feet ASL or more.  In the Alps, the bottom of the valleys are maybe 2-3k feet ASL, depending on where you are.

On the down side, Skiing in the Alps can be crowded (although nowhere near as crowded as Japan).  Especially during Spring break and everyone who skis takes a week in the Spring time to go skiing (normally in March or April).  Sometimes the backups on the autobahn can be 100+ km long and legendary.  Likewise, the lines to get on lifts can be very aggressive by US standards.  It's akin to herding cows and the bull with the sharpest horns gets ahead.  You have to get used to having everyone ski on top of your skis.  They say you only ski on the bottoms, so don't worry about the tops.  

If you do ever get the inclination to try out the Alps, let me know.  Happy to provide some ideas on where to go and which places are over-rated, like St. Moritz (pass - it's just a money sink).  Not sure how many resorts I skied in Germany, France, Switzerland, Italy and Austria, too many to count.  Of them all, the Austrians are the most laid back and the French are bastards in ski lines.  But, Val d,Isere has over 220 lifts and is worth the trek.  Skied a week there 2 times and never took all the lifts.  An absolute must-see is Zermatt.  The first time you see the Matterhorn will be an unforgettable experience.    

16 minutes ago, mappy said:

yeah that sounds disgusting. we actually had scrapple with our breakfast for dinner last night. 

It seems very odd, but it's a local play on the traditional oyster stout, which does involve oyster(shells at least) in the mash. It reminds be of that type of stout, but it seems to develop an unpleasant off flavor if its not consumed within a few months. Not one of those 'better with age' beers.

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

It seems very odd, but it's a local play on the traditional oyster stout, which does involve oyster(shells at least) in the mash. It reminds be of that type of stout, but it seems to develop an unpleasant off flavor if its not consumed within a few months. Not one of those 'better with age' beers.

I get the desire to create unique beers/drinks with different things added but some stuff just doesn't seem worth it.  Seafood, scrapple, peanut butter, etc.  I'm sure they will try to make a mayonnaise flavored or lima bean flavored one at some point

Just now, H2O said:

I get the desire to create unique beers/drinks with different things added but some stuff just doesn't seem worth it.  Seafood, scrapple, peanut butter, etc.  I'm sure they will try to make a mayonnaise flavored or lima bean flavored one at some point

Yeah its an art. Adding a subtle layer of flavor that jives with the other layers and the beer style isn't always easy. That RAR breakfast stout I drank last night was like eating  a thick slab of salty, hickory smoked bacon. Not subtle. Way too heavy on the breakfast.

21 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I'm not a big beer fan to begin with, but even oyster stout sounds gross to me. scrapple beer sounds awful lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yeah its an art. Adding a subtle layer of flavor that jives with the other layers and the beer style isn't always easy. That RAR breakfast stout I drank last night was like eating  a thick slab of salty, hickory smoked bacon. Not subtle. Way too heavy on the breakfast.

Back in the 90s a buddy and I got into the home craft brewing.  We once tried to make an ale with pine notes in it based on a recipe.  It used legit pine tree extract.  Was supposed to smooth out and get subtle after a month or so after bottling.  The hell it did.  Tasted like pine sol with bubbles.  He liked it for some reason.  i mopped floors with it.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

We had one in 2016. 40 inches is ridiculous. And As much as I love snow I am actually glad that I will most likely never see that again in my life. 

Deepest I've had and had to dig out of was 33 inches in '96. That was fun, it MIGHT get a bit frustrating if it happened 2-3 times a year. Otherwise my arms are still out and open ready to catch lol.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic