• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2020/2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Ok, euro brings me back from the brink lol. I've been writing up an analysis (see below), but I'm taking a break now to go exercise, so this is incomplete. Also, I was mainly writing this for myself so it may be full of errors. On the off chance I say something helpful, posting below. 

///////////

Current Analysis (please take with giant grain of salt):

Setup:

Miller B type-ish cyclogenesis under a negative NAO, weak La Nina, PNA approximately neutral, may be trending slightly negative. A low currently over the eastern pacific ocean will traverse and be disrupted by the rockies, progressing into a trough over the southern and central US. Canadian high pressure builds over Quebec. Cold air damming occurs as cP air mass moves SE...Canadian high pushes and traps cold air against the apps. Trough/sw amplifies and move NE along the NE coast becoming a closed sfc low. Recent trends focus more on a developing low east of FL to phase with the low ejecting from the rockies which is more akin to miller A than B.

Vertical Velocity Position and causes: S of Philadelphia primarily...NAM disagrees and thinks omega is higher further N, reasoning: 700mb low position (eh), 850 mb position, jet streak (UL divergence), LL convergence.

Strength of WAA/CAA  f(wind S, wind Dir, T gradient)....solenoids: ##todo

Positioning of the low/rain-snow line: SE along a line between 20 miles SSE of Philadelphia to 5 NNW of Philadelphia depending on model run specifics. All runs indicate sfc temps sub freezing due to either precip rate or myriad other factors. 

Precip components:

Overrunning Y/N--> Yes

Central Y/N--->Yes

Wrap-Around Y/N---> Unclear. Dry slot vs deformation banding.

Model comparison: (to finish)

GFS--> 12z Sun run weaker. At 06z Thurs, has the low up by 6mb vs previous run, and slower. Compared to runs over the past day, the 06z run low position appears to be an outlier, most of the runs keep the storm closer to the coast, and differ with strength and direction from there. The decrease in QPF seen in the 12z run (and thus, total potential snow) appears to be a function of less 6 hr QPF forecast at 00z Thursday vs earlier runs, which is itself due to the low being further south of the Philly metro at that timestamp. Despite these changes, the rain/snow line has been quite consistent since the 00z run. 00z, 06z, and 12z, all depict a virtually identical rain/snow line at 00z Thurs. This is not as true at 06z Thurs--earlier runs, including 00z Sun, had heavy snow reach further into NJ due to extreme dynamical cooling and FGEN effects, however, the 12z and 06z run are in fair agreement with a rain/snow line towards coastal NJ and DE.  

ECMWF-->Has the best positioning right now of the 700mb low in terms of maximal snow potential. 06z Euro brings storm further north than 00z, poss ptype implications.

UKMET--> 00z run splits the difference in terms of southeast ridging between the 12z GFS solution and the 06z ECMWF solution with respect to possible temps during the storm's projected peak (around 21z Wed-09z Thurs). 12z run warmer, lowers snowfall totals in PHL from 13 to 8 or sig less (to finish).

NAM--> Brings the low further north and closer to DE at 84 hours vs other models due to positioning the Canadian high further NE. Has the closest SFC low approach to Philly of any current or recent model run across models. As a result, projects much more of a mix than other models--the 12z run would bring a mostly freezing rain type event to the Philly metro, with up to 0.5" of freezing rain forecast to potentially fall by 00z Thurs. Pulling up a sounding, this is due to WAA between 850 and 700mb. In fact, the NAM actually suggests that the surface temps will be colder than other models suggest--but is so aggressive with the mid-level conveyor belt WAA that it makes much of the event FZRA. I agree with earlier analysis suggesting the NAM is too amplified. 

EPS vs GEFS--> EPS slightly closer to coast. 

Edit: NAM time stamp.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Again, not saying we will continue to see the slp tick farther N before moving East BUT you need only look at the most recent example on our doorstep for tomorrow. That system was progged well to the South just 36 hours or so ago then began ticking N and amping more each run. Now this should help the system for Wednesday, but it needs to be watched as this is the 3rd system this month already to come farther N. Not my final call at all, just saying it shouldn't come as a shock to anyone if we continue seeing the trend. The saving grace for Wednesday is CAD....confluence, a 50/50, and some blocking up top. 

• Like 3

WXSIM much more enthused about tomorrow's initial event than my NWS point and click is.....WXSIM sees a mix of rain and snow becoming all snow and briefly heavy after 230pm with 2" to maybe 3" accumulating. It has "backed off" a bit on the Wed event starting around 2pm with 19.4" of snow accumulating....

Definitely getting excited here in the LV! Looking like at lock of at least 12”+; however, I am a little wary of mixing with sleet should enough warm air filter in aloft if those trends N occur. The strength of the confluence/1038-mb high is a saving grace for this event. The position of the coastal low will ultimately decide the fate of you guys to the south, so keep the faith. As is typical of all of these systems, once we get a good sampling of this system once it makes it to the west coast (12z Monday), we should have a good handling of its position.

9 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

WXSIM much more enthused about tomorrow's initial event than my NWS point and click is.....WXSIM sees a mix of rain and snow becoming all snow and briefly heavy after 230pm with 2" to maybe 3" accumulating. It has "backed off" a bit on the Wed event starting around 2pm with 19.4" of snow accumulating....

Double check to make sure it's actually accumulating (if it is, that is indeed interesting). For example, tomorrow, the NAM says 2-3" of snow could fall (snow accumulation graphic), but precisely 0 of that will accumulate (change in snow depth graphic). Also, remember that unless otherwise noted, rain:snow ratios are 1:10...since temps here are so close to freezing, ratios won't be 1:10, they'll be 1:7, 1:8...which is why Kuchara totals are lower than the non-kuch totals. Machine learning models are great, sometimes they don't pick up on big changes quick enough. 

7 minutes ago, Moderately Unstable said:

Double check to make sure it's actually accumulating. For example, tomorrow, the NAM says 2-3" of snow could fall, but precisely 0 of that will accumulate. Also, remember that unless otherwise noted, rain:snow ratios are 1:10...since temps here are so close to freezing, ratios won't be 1:10, they'll be 1:7, 1:8...which is why Kuchara totals are lower than the non-kuch totals. 

True. Maybe some on grass tops, sloppy and pointless. Always thought the WXSIM algorithm was screwed up....always on the high end. Doesn't take many factors into account... 

So I got one of the snow blowers working. I had to kludge together a linkage for engaging the auger, which then immediately broke. The only thing I could find last minute was a lawnmower throttle cable, but the actual lever is made of the cheapest plastic known to man and almost immediately shattered under load. Oh well. Ordered some correct replacement parts, and with any luck they'll be here on Tuesday... We shall see. But I was really happy to get it running after sitting neglected for who know how long. It's a 1996 Craftsman, FWIW.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

^^agreed. It is nice to look at. The bulk of the guidance is not on the GFS amounts train, though I don't think it's out to lunch per se. I think a lot of the gfs's progging relates to thinking super heavy precip rates will overcome all else. For Philly CC, my gut instinct at this point for a first call is, 5-8 if we see a snow-mix/rain-snow, 8-12 if mostly snow, 12-16 if phl stays mostly snow, and everything aligns just right.  I'm a bit concerned about the dry slot timing on the backend. That's screwed the region in the past and is showing more of an issue in recent runs. Thus if I had to choose a single range, I'd go 8-12, with the (*) that more is possible. 

• Weenie 1

20 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

You're in SJ, no shit.

I live like right across the way from Philly, which was in the 18" range days ago when the weenie fest was full blown. As literally always, looks like rain now which works for me. This was an easy one to get right since it literally goes down this way every single time lol

Went outside last night around 1am and immediately saw 2 shooting stars as I was closing the door.  Thought it would be cloudy, but it had cleared up above me for 15 minutes and I sat and saw about 8-10 meteors in that time.  Really good rates, better than the perseids in August, although those tend to have cooler trails and more fireballs than the gemenids. 

17 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

12z NAM stopped the trend and came in colder....so thats refreshing for anyone who put stock in the NAM at range last day or so.

Eta: upon farther inspection actually took a sizeable move to the rgem wrt track and intensity

Yeah definitely buckdd the NW trend and way less amped. Mix line touches 95(still frozen) but sinks back down. It isn't the rgem but it's actually more in line what I'm thinking. Warning level event 6-10" for 95 with a period of sleet. 10-15" with lolli's in the 20s N and W of 95 toward Lehigh Valley. Sharp cut off south of 95 though(sorry s. Jersey).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Yeah definitely buckdd the NW trend and way less amped. Mix line touches 95(still frozen) but sinks back down. It isn't the rgem but it's actually more in line what I'm thinking. Warning level event 6-10" for 95 with a period of sleet. 10-15" with lolli's in the 20s N and W of 95 toward Lehigh Valley. Sharp cut off south of 95 though(sorry s. Jersey).

Agreed. Just good to see that trend stop and even reverse. Maybe windshield wiper effect or maybe going to continue. Up next....rgem.