Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2020/2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

24 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Oh, I'm fairly comfortable with small engine repair. I just haven't had the time yet, what with all the other new house stuff that's been needing doing. I told my wife that if it does end up dumping on us, that's when I'll try to get one of them working. :)

If they are the older Briggs engines you'll get one working w/a little TLC...

Foggy/45F

Terrible time to have messed up my back!  I don't even know what I did, but definitely gonna need to borrow a blower from the neighbor if those clown maps verify.  I remember trying to shovel the 28 inches from the 2016 storm and immediately giving up.

I've been waiting for a deep enough storm to snowboard the steep valley betwern Mt. Misery and Mt. Joy in Valley Forge again and it looks like I might be out of commission for it!  Last time it was possible without hitting rocks was March 2017 with like 8 inches of sleet.  Monday's base building event would make it even better.  Not sure why the links aren't embedding.

https://imgur.com/a/De9sgVJ

https://imgur.com/a/hbsIXm4

Definitely actively rooting against this and for good reason. Flying out Wednesday to Florida so I don't want this flight messed up. I also have my boat covered up and I've never had snow on that or on my gazebo and am extremely concerned about this much snow on both when I'm not there. Fortunately events that look this perfect five days out do not usually pan out but I have my eyes on this one.

3 minutes ago, hurricane1091 said:

Definitely actively rooting against this and for good reason. Flying out Wednesday to Florida so I don't want this flight messed up. I also have my boat covered up and I've never had snow on that or on my gazebo and am extremely concerned about this much snow on both when I'm not there. Fortunately events that look this perfect five days out do not usually pan out but I have my eyes on this one.

Sad to say you won't get much pity here as most (99%) want a bone crushing blizzard...

Still some fog/47F

• Like 2

Just now, Birds~69 said:

Sad to say you won't get much pity here as most (99%) want a bone crushing blizzard...

Still some fog/47F

It's nice being on the right side of this one for a change at least so I'm pretty happy lol. How many times have you gotten your hopes out 5 days out just to be dissapointed? So it's nice for me knowing I actually won't be dissapointed when this inevitably starts falling apart Sunday night or Monday.

• Weenie 2

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

GFS not holding back. Looks like heavy snow shifted even into NJ. 18"+ Philly N and W...

18.jpg

Wow I remember this type of setup when I was a kid.  Would drive up to north eastern NJ for holiday visits and the place was buried and street parking not possible.  Been a long time coming......

Lets hope

3 minutes ago, RedSky said:

In the old days a storm centered on the coast like this  this would rain in Philly and all it's burbs. Something changed can't complain lol.

I remember it well. Once KYW said it's changed to sleet/rain in Philly I knew I was doomed within an hour....then the window pings started.

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, penndotguy said:

Well I have to say, I think we’re all a little apprehensive after the last few years. I’m caustically optimistic and I refuse to even go near my shed. Is this a Classic Miller A setup? 

Its actually a miller B but it develops far enough south that we should avoid the classic "screw zone". Honestly there just isn't a lot to pick at negative right now. Very cautiously optimistic but this seems like a text book warning level event for most of the area at minimum. Remember the big ones are usually modeled well in advance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Its actually a miller B but it develops far enough south that we should avoid the classic "screw zone". Honestly there just isn't a lot to pick at negative right now. Very cautiously optimistic but this seems like a text book warning level event for most of the area at minimum. Remember the big ones are usually modeled well in advance.

Ocean temps are above normal but I don't think that will affect us?

Yeah, this has been straight and steady from the get go and many runs....

2 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Ocean temps are above normal but I don't think that will affect us?

Yeah, this has been straight and steady from the get go and many runs....

Yeah coastal areas will probably see rain but that was always the case. There may be a sneaky warm layer we will have to look out for as we get closer if the tucked into the coast members verify.. warm ocean temps may lead to some sleet but I don't know that for sure. Just based more on experience around here. Lows tucked into the coast typically have mixing issues further nw than progged. However we have a high in just about the perfect place. I'm pretty giddy tbh. My expectations are set at warning level(6") and it's looking great for at least that for 95 n and w.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Euro ens are hinting tucked system and mixing well inland....warm nose. Hoping thats just noise but make me a bit apprehensive to pull the trigger for SE PA even nearby burbs.

Mixing still means frozen. I don't think rain will be an issue with that high in place. Some sleet though? Definitely something we will need to watch.

5 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Mixing still means frozen. I don't think rain will be an issue with that high in place. Some sleet though? Definitely something we will need to watch.

All the big ones mix, so there's that. One run not a huge concern. Didnt care for it showing up on the ens means tho. May be cause for concern if the trend continues. Probably just a blip/noise tho.

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Euro ens are hinting tucked system and mixing well inland....warm nose. Hoping thats just noise but make me a bit apprehensive to pull the trigger for SE PA even nearby burbs.

Just noise..if the op does not show what you like, zero in on the ensembles.

weenie handbook chapter 7. How to find snow on any model run

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1