Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2020/2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

1 minute ago, Birds~69 said:

Actually I resent that! 

I occasionally watch snow on webcams from distant places when times are tough around here. And don't get me started about viewing a 1.5hr youtube video clip of a blizzard....they're great!

37F

I've spent hours watching Weather Channel videos on You Tube from the Superstorm, Blizzard of '96 (some can be found with Hurricane and that John Bolaris guy) and of course, many from 2009, 2010, and 2016. Good stuff when I need a snow fix. 

• Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I've spent hours watching Weather Channel videos on You Tube from the Superstorm, Blizzard of '96 (some can be found with Hurricane and that John Bolaris guy) and of course, many from 2009, 2010, and 2016. Good stuff when I need a snow fix. 

Same here...The Weather Channel use to be pretty damn good back in the day. (like MTV)....pretty much gone to shit now.

My weenie self was listening to an old KYW snow closings clip last week (before the storm) to bring back my youth of having a snow day...

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Same here...The Weather Channel use to be pretty damn good back in the day. (like MTV)....pretty much gone to shit now.

My weenie self was listening to KYW snow closings last week (before the storm) to bring back my youth of having a snow day...

Elliot Abrams was the go too!

used to listed to him and my noaa weather box for updates in the mid to late 80’s

for you younger peeps..there was a time where noaa had broadcasting on a radio updated each hour!

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Animal said:

Elliot Abrams was the go too!

used to listed to him and my noaa weather box for updates in the mid to late 80’s

for you younger peeps..there was a time where noaa had broadcasting on a radio updated each hour!

He was cream of the crop as far as KYW Mets (although the others were solid as well)....always pissed when I missed his updates~!

I date back from mid-upper 70s weather times...

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

I remember the NOAA weather cube (box) days. RadioShack sold them I believe. When snow was coming I'd hit that button about 15 minutes past the hour for the "current" conditions to see when Harrisburg, Reading, or Philly had a report of snow to see how close it was getting to the Lehigh Valley.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RedSky said:

My head will be in a jar like futurama by then will need somebody to walk me outside.

I thought you were already in a retirement community with Glenn? 

I would highly advise to pay extra for a bed by a window with a super highly illuminated snow light? It's well worth it in my opinion...

36F

• Weenie 1

I’m currently saving. Want to start my own painting company and work up in MA. Close to Worcester. 

Animal, no worries. I’ll bump this come the end of March but I truly think we’ll have above normal snow. 

it could be worst. You could be me and storm chase and miss out on 40” because you flipped a coin and it landed on tails. 

• Weenie 1

37 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I would highly advise to pay extra for a bed by a window with a super highly illuminated snow light? It's well worth it in my opinion...

36F

Unlucky 13 years now without a good snow light.

• Weenie 1

33 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Thrift shop + big ass white Xmas flood lamp from the 70s ($5) + hardware (nails/screws) ($1) + effort (a beer or 2).....= snow light.

Glenn would be proud....

36F

I use a floodlight that is installed just beneath the peak of our roof.  House faces due North/South, along with slope of roof, so my east facing bedroom window is underneath the light.  Also I have a nice outdoor light at ground level beside a sliding glass door that works well.  As long as the light is bright and close by, but not within direct view, you're good.  

Edit:  https://imgur.com/a/nNopVav

Why are my imgur posts not embedding, I swear they used to?  I don't have anymore on-site storage.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChasingFlakes said:

I use a floodlight that is installed just beneath the peak of our roof.  House faces due North/South, along with slope of roof, so my east facing bedroom window is underneath the light.  Also I have a nice outdoor light at ground level beside a sliding glass door that works well.  As long as the light is bright and close by, but not within direct view, you're good.  

Totally agree.

It's all about placement.

In my younger years, I had street lights which were just about perfect which was excellent as well.

36F...blob of stuff developing/approaching from the W.

bls.jpg

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, ChasingFlakes said:

Edit:  https://imgur.com/a/nNopVav

Why are my imgur posts not embedding, I swear they used to?  I don't have anymore on-site storage.  

My Ring floodlight cameras provide me 360° views around my entire home...

This one (facing NE) early Thursday am near the end of our recent snowstorm!

https://ring.com/share/7d6774a1-eea2-44be-bde6-8f102b95127e

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

Totally agree.

It's all about placement.

In my younger years, I had street lights which were just about perfect which was excellent as well.

36F...blob of stuff developing/approaching from the W.

Yup. And if you wanted to catch the first flurry or flurries of a storm, you made sure that something was (just) blocking the actual light. If not, the light was too bright to see those first flakes falling.

5 hours ago, Voyager said:

I remember the NOAA weather cube (box) days. RadioShack sold them I believe. When snow was coming I'd hit that button about 15 minutes past the hour for the "current" conditions to see when Harrisburg, Reading, or Philly had a report of snow to see how close it was getting to the Lehigh Valley.

I remember some of the mets!  Russ Jordan, Bob Kurl, Dan Hurley...loved when they would say "at 10:30pm...National Weather Service radar is showing a large, growing area of snow which extends from Central PA down into central VA..."

3 hours ago, Voyager said:

Yup. And if you wanted to catch the first flurry or flurries of a storm, you made sure that something was (just) blocking the actual light. If not, the light was too bright to see those first flakes falling.

Yep.

I had a morning (pre 5am) paper route between the age of 11-14. So when a storm started around that time it was a real treat. I would be riding my Huffy under street lights and when I noticed the first flakes begin to trickle down, I flipped out with excitement! Then the intensity increased...

35F/light rain

• Weenie 1

10 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

36F

Wow and I thought I was the only one. Above my workshop is my home office.  Great view of the backyard and farms etc.  I installed a stadium light at the crown of the roof. Always get comments through the summer how awesome it is for backyard games.  There is always a family member who outs me.  It's for watching the snow fall.