Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2020/2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Four thoughts--

1) I'm excited. Semantics aside, it's been TWO YEARS since we had an interesting winter weather setup in the Philly area of any kind. I don't care if we get 6", 16", 20"...I just want to see some white stuff falling out of the sky!

2) In the short term, the 12z NAM and other short-range guidance indicate a low-impact rain-snow for the Philly metro wrt Monday's system. The 12z GFS is similar, with a widespread 1"-2" projected, likely not going to stick though due to temps. Snow rate will not be sufficient to facilitate significant air cooling due to latent energy release of melting so seems unlikely to be one of the sneak storms that drops an inch or two that no one expected to see. MOS and other guidance suggest temps could top in the low 40s, that may be a high bet given the cloud cover (& limited evap cooling) so perhaps upper 30s makes more sense. It should be stated that were we to get a widespread trace to 1-2" of snow early this week, the increase in albedo could locally result in a marginal temperature decrease. In this context, that may matter (33 vs 32 degrees type of thing)--but, again, will depend on how that whole solution verifies. Tracing back, the models come to a snow conclusion based on freezing in the 850-700 mb level, with marginal above freezing temps below.  Similarly, the evolution and track of the first low and its impact on the dynamics it brings in behind it somewhat matter on whether we in fact are looking at a foot maker, or beyond into the GFS weenie-utopia land of 20+. 

3) The second storm right now is a semi-classic miller B type setup. When I look at Miller B's (and As for that matter)... I like to check out the NAO first.  The NAO is marginally negative right now and progged to become much more negative over the next few days. That both leads me to more "lingering" solutions, and to a more messy p-type analysis due to more northward progression of the low. This means the system won't end up busting out to sea--it could "bust" warm if it goes further north, but it ain't a non-event. This also applies to the first storm, and may be why the signal for that is getting a bit more amplified with time.

4) A fairly strong jet streak will enhance precip in the mid-week storm, and could lead to enhancement of banding through some extra forcing for ascent.Thus, if we did maintain the cold solution, we'd probably see a couple of mesoscale corridors setup where you'll see the real maximal snow amounts. This seems plausible regardless of the specific "where" the low eventually tracks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Moderately Unstable said:

Four thoughts--

1) I'm excited. Semantics aside, it's been TWO YEARS since we had an interesting winter weather setup in the Philly area of any kind. I don't care if we get 6", 16", 20"...I just want to see some white stuff falling out of the sky!

2) In the short term, the 12z NAM and other short-range guidance indicate a low-impact rain-snow for the Philly metro wrt Monday's system. The 12z GFS is similar, with a widespread 1"-2" projected, likely not going to stick though due to temps. Snow rate will not be sufficient to facilitate significant air cooling due to latent energy release of melting so seems unlikely to be one of the sneak storms that drops an inch or two that no one expected to see. MOS and other guidance suggest temps could top in the low 40s, that may be a high bet given the cloud cover (& limited evap cooling) so perhaps upper 30s makes more sense. It should be stated that were we to get a widespread trace to 1-2" of snow early this week, the increase in albedo could locally result in a marginal temperature decrease. In this context, that may matter (33 vs 32 degrees type of thing)--but, again, will depend on how that whole solution verifies. Tracing back, the models come to a snow conclusion based on freezing in the 850-700 mb level, with marginal above freezing temps below.  Similarly, the evolution and track of the first low and its impact on the dynamics it brings in behind it somewhat matter on whether we in fact are looking at a foot maker, or beyond into the GFS weenie-utopia land of 20+. 

3) The second storm right now is a semi-classic miller B type setup. When I look at Miller B's (and As for that matter)... I like to check out the NAO first.  The NAO is marginally negative right now and progged to become much more negative over the next few days. That both leads me to more "lingering" solutions, and to a more messy p-type analysis due to more northward progression of the low. This means the system won't end up busting out to sea--it could "bust" warm if it goes further north, but it ain't a non-event. This also applies to the first storm, and may be why the signal for that is getting a bit more amplified with time.

4) A fairly strong jet streak will enhance precip in the mid-week storm, and could lead to enhancement of banding through some extra forcing for ascent.Thus, if we did maintain the cold solution, we'd probably see a couple of mesoscale corridors setup where you'll see the real maximal snow amounts. This seems plausible regardless of the specific "where" the low eventually tracks. 

You need to post here more often. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There will be a couple more of these 18z type runs - details to be ironed out....when the EPS is honking I am buying at least a significant snowstorm (over 6") for many from the I95 corridor N and W....keep in mind major 10" + storms are very rare in this area. I will be posting top 10 shortly for Western Chester County PA shortly

Lots of good discussion right now on this whole setup in the Mid Atlantic forum. But, yeah, I mean look run-to-run is going to look different, that's the game (makes it fun)! EPS 18z looked solid, made 18z gfs look like an outlier. 18z gefs was reasonable as well. Still plenty of time--we're nearing the place where the op models and their ensembles converge enough to switch over to the op (though just to throw it out there--there's never a *bad* time to use an ensemble...averaging perturbations does well to ameliorate the woes of chaos theory at hour 100 and also at hour 10). Going to be a solid storm for the Philly region regardless, this is more a question imho of weenie solution MECS vs a more standard SECS. I want my MECS (unfortunately I don't think HECS is in the cards here using the statistical 1:10 year standard, but hey, I'll keep hoping).

Suggest poss creating a dedicated topic if the 00z runs continue to indicate or trend for major storm (really seems warranted regardless now).

19 minutes ago, Moderately Unstable said:

Lots of good discussion right now on this whole setup in the Mid Atlantic forum. But, yeah, I mean look run-to-run is going to look different, that's the game (makes it fun)! EPS 18z looked solid, made 18z gfs look like an outlier. 18z gefs was reasonable as well. Still plenty of time--we're nearing the place where the op models and their ensembles converge enough to switch over to the op (though just to throw it out there--there's never a *bad* time to use an ensemble...averaging perturbations does well to ameliorate the woes of chaos theory at hour 100 and also at hour 10). Going to be a solid storm for the Philly region regardless, this is more a question imho of weenie solution MECS vs a more standard SECS. I want my MECS (unfortunately I don't think HECS is in the cards here using the statistical 1:10 year standard, but hey, I'll keep hoping).

Suggest poss creating a dedicated topic if the 00z runs continue to indicate or trend for major storm (really seems warranted regardless now).

That’s kinda been the dagger in the storm, no one wants to start it and be the one that killed the threat Lol. 

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, LVblizzard said:

Don't sleep on Monday. It's looking like there will be a stripe of some pretty solid amounts somewhere between I-80 and the M-D line.

Agree, especially if we look at the latest 0z NAM suite. Both the 12k and 3k drop a solid couple inches across Berks and the Lehigh Valley.

I just cannot understand why Mt.  Holly is gun shy about Mondays snow event. The NAM has been consistent now for days on showing at least 5 " in for the LV but tonights forecast says  less than 1/2 inch.  Evap cooling will overtake and they keep ignoring this possibility. I have seen it so many times in the LV in this situation. The ground temps are still cool as demonstrated by the ground by the dense fog advisory tonight?  The model indicates at least an advisory level event for days now.  Honestly, if Mondays event drops 4 in like I am expecting plus another 16+ in on Wednesday. it should set the record for the most snow in December for the LV. What a Christmas gift

Additionally, the Wednesday snow event could be some major snow drifting issues that we have not seen here in nearly a decade or longer.  It could be a storm to remember for sure. Nobody has brought that up along with a good chance of thundersnow has the low bombs out.

image.png.d37c063002ace9f473f0131997304826.png

6 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

I just cannot understand why Mt.  Holly is gun shy about Mondays snow event. The NAM has been consistent now for days on showing at least 5 " in for the LV but tonights forecast says  less than 1/2 inch.  Evap cooling will overtake and they keep ignoring this possibility. I have seen it so many times in the LV in this situation. The ground temps are still cool as demonstrated by the ground by the dense fog advisory tonight?  The model indicates at least an advisory level event for days now.  Honestly, if Mondays event drops 4 in like I am expecting plus another 16+ in on Wednesday. it should set the record for the most snow in December for the LV. What a Christmas gift

Additionally, the Wednesday snow event could be some major snow drifting issues that we have not seen here in nearly a decade or longer.  It could be a storm to remember for sure. Nobody has brought that up along with a good chance of thundersnow has the low bombs out.

image.png.d37c063002ace9f473f0131997304826.png

I think they're going with 1-2" now....still probably too low. (Berks/Lehigh)

Winds 40+mph will make this a fun event. Always enjoy high winds/drifting with heavy snow...