Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Oct 29-30 snow threat

Typhoon Tip

25 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That scenario reminds me of Dec 9, 2005...not saying this is a redux...

It did cross my mind a couple hours ago honestly  haha

But, I don't know/think this is much of an analog - I'll have to take a look at the NCEP library and maybe study the UKMET and Euro - ..seeing as these have now acted like 'Johnny come lately's showing up and bullying the show away from the Para G ... 'Hey, look what we think!'  ... which was the first to hone this specisivity during a generally favorable 'super synoptic' era we've frankly had signaled since the end of September ( imho ..) .. 

But yeah, 2005 was a compact 45 unit v-max that was so extreme over a small area, the whole system ( also a fast mover...) really fit inside "meso-beta" scale - sort of a derecho sized cyclone with an excessive graphical zenith in power.  It folded the troposphere ... it's dated enough now that it may be worth it to discuss - that was extreme stratospheric entrainment event, with a huge surplus of very dry lower stratospheric air sucked into the gravity well along the back side of the wind max, and when that mixed with the saturated backside of the CCB and really created a huge downwelling wedge of gravitationally accelerating atmospheric weight...  See you later Cape Cod!   boom... 110 mph wind gusts I think?  

But ... the sun set was visible. the whole thing was 6 hours out here in interior eastern Mass, and we actually saw the sun set, with 12- 15" of new snow and people wandering around looking at the sky dazed and confused... 

4 minutes ago, Amped said:

It's the ULL forming a new system and Zeta getting ripped apart.   CMC and even the Ukmet show Zeta being ripped apart over the apps.    I think the Euro holds onto Zeta too long.   It's not going to cross the apps and still be a 988mb low. 

Its obviously undergoing baroclinic enhancement as a byproduct of extratropical transtion, so that seems feasible to me. Are we getting a cat 1 snowcane?

No.

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

As bad as the Euro and eps have been.. folks sure seem to be gravitating towards it. What happened to all the trashing it? 2 days ago it had this way south and sunny . Tread carefully . 

Definitely worth considering.  It’s made some huge jumps the past couple days.

2 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

I gravitate to the Ukie.  The fact the Euro is similar is immaterial

Could be it’s totally right. I mean it’s been wrong since last winter, so to suddenly revert back to it and dry hump it just seems strange. If it’s correct with a foot for the ski slopes and far NNE and mainly rains for all of SNE then we can say it’s back . Might be wise to at least incorporate FV3 and its ensembles since it had this first