Total Members
    Most Online
    Irish
    Newest Member
    Irish
forkyfork

remnants of zeta and potential first flakes for some areas

15 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Wonderful morning. 1.4" new with ongoing light snow - more just up the hill from me, where roads turned slushy. I had my doubts early this morning when temps were holding steady in the upper 30, but the models handled the CAA and dynamic cooling well

2 minutes ago, Snowlover11 said:

:thumbsdown:.  what a s***y morning.  cold as hell and raining.  37 and rain, while 20-30 miles north is getting dumped on.:weenie: winter ova.

Our forum in a nutshell the past 3+ years

• Haha 3
  • Weenie 2

It's still snowing but the flakes are small and the visibility is back up to about 1/2 mile, further if looking south than north. Temp seems to have stabilized at 33/34. .5" on grass and elevated surfaces, what had started to accumulate at the edge of the street has already melted back.

• Thanks 1

Good morning again,  

Wantage NJ at this elevation of 740'MSL went back too mostly rain around 930A.  I noticed 2.4" at High Point NJ and have added a few LSR mapped reports.  Mostly 1-3" NYS, and generally 1/2" ne PA and nw NJ, so far.

Looks like NYC may escape recording snow today? 

I've also been in touch with mets at NCEP and they tend to agree:  GFSv16 (parallel) evaluation that its overall synoptic performance in the medium range is superior to v15, and part of that improvement is due to being somewhat less progressive.  Also they are aware of the NAM's generally superior performance on CAA rain to snow transition. 

This may be my last post for this event (final at this location in Wantage NJ 0.03"), until tonight or tomorrows wrap. 

Even if the prelim outlook by both our forum long rangers and NWS is for a generally mild winter supporting below normal snowfall, we can hope for an Atypical winter, expanding the higher than normal snowfall portion of the sample size.  Have a good one. 

Screen_Shot_2020-10-30_at_10_35.52_AM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, romba said:

Our forum in a nutshell the past 3+ years

We should just have a sub-forum for each poster, so no-one has to be rudely exposed to another person's weather.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Seeing more flakes here-mangled but trying to mix in more. 

Comes and goes. There are times is mainly snow, then back to rain. Good to see

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

We should just have a sub-forum for each poster, so no-one has to be rudely exposed to another person's weather.

And a sub-sub for all declarations that a season is officially over before it has actually begun.

• Like 3

Looks like 2.10" total on my weather station, haven't checked the stratus yet.  I didn't see any frozen precip.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

in the "good ole days" before the internet, Poughkeepsie might as well as have been Greenland.  If it didn't snow here, as far as I knew, snow didn't exist lol.  Never knew what was going on in New England either.

1 hour ago, doncat said:

Well the original two storm and heavier precip totals idea worked out well.

I would have guessed the second storm would not have affected NYC Metro area due to the principle of the conservation of energy.  However, at times, the atmosphere "does what it wants".

Just a few wet flakes were struggling to work in here in Garwood, if you imagined really hard.

It’s been so wet I don’t know where this event starts and ends.

10/28 - 0.22”

10/29 - 1.29”

10/39 - 0.38”

Good riddance.

9 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

SNE got a nice surprise with round 2. 

We know. :axe:

I counted my T for the day which is what I hoped for. The warm LI Sound was the problem for most of us. Also just takes a lot of dynamics to get snow down to the NYC area this time of year and those may have been north of us with the best banding as well. 

8 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

We know. :axe:

I counted my T for the day which is what I hoped for. The warm LI Sound was the problem for most of us. Also just takes a lot of dynamics to get snow down to the NYC area this time of year and those may have been north of us with the best banding as well. 

**** it let them have it for now, we’ll get ours soon. We just missed hopefully we don’t miss again 

this was one of the wettest storms in October that had some sleet or snow with it...

October snowfalls in NYC with measurable precip...

1876.....0.5".......0.36"

1925.....0.8".......0.15"

1926.......T..........0.91"

1944.......T..........0.01"

1952.....0.5".......0.07"

1960.......T..........0.14"

1962.......T..........0.65"...dusting in parts of the city...

1972.......T..........0.63"...dusting in parts of the city...

1979.......T..........1.31"...dusting in parts of the city...

2000.......T..........0.01"

2002.......T..........0.03"...dusting in parts of the city...

2011.....2.9".......2.01"...

1926, 1979 and 2011 had juicy storms...1962 and 1972 were moderate storms...