Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Some deep, deep winter pics from the compound today. @Fozz, this blows 2009-2010 away. No competition. Best winter of all time for me.

Unknown-1.jpeg.994025b425fd23e08f2f85a1d579f970.jpeg

Awesome shots showing depth, but this one is what I talk about where no matter how deep it gets you can’t tell.  Need to dig a trench through the woods to get the scale, ha.

Deep winter in the North Country!

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Awesome shots showing depth, but this one is what I talk about where no matter how deep it gets you can’t tell.  Need to dig a trench through the woods to get the scale, ha.

I posted that one because of the huge number of animal tracks. It’s kinda hard to see in the pic, but it looks like a damn dance party down there behind the barn. Definitely looked like some coyote tracks in there. I saw a Canadian Lynx up here recently as well so I assume they are in the mix. Tons of scat and yellow snow around too. Must have been something exciting going on down there. Snow was up to mid-thigh there at a minimum (and I wasn’t walking on bare ground under there). There is a layer of ice and glacial snow that’s about 2- 4 inches or so under all that. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Not bad. And that’s probably leaning toward the meh side of climo up there. You never got a legit arctic airmass either. The kind where it’s -15F on your hill with 30mph winds.

Kinda hard to imagine where it goes from here. This is already an absurd amount of winter for me. It’s crazy how the snow just sticks around. I can see why the research stations in Antarctica need to be built on stilts otherwise the doorways would be buried over time. LOL

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Kinda hard to imagine where it goes from here. This is already an absurd amount of winter for me. It’s crazy how the snow just sticks around. I can see why the research stations in Antarctica need to be built on stilts otherwise the doorways would be buried over time. LOL

I'm waiting to see if you ever get to the point where you say "this is officially too much winter"

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That's the hard way.  The year up north when we had to quit maintaining boundary lines because the old evidence was buried was like that pic, but a stiff stick (straight sapling 1" thick was best) could be shoved down thru the crusts and give a much easier measurement.  That's how I got the 80" depth the day after that year's big March dump.

Phin - Lynx are moving south.  When I worked in the NW part of Maine (76-85), trappers caught only bobcats, now only lynx (which all but a very few have been released angered but otherwise unharmed.)  Those tuft-eared kitties are doing so well that the USFWS may petition to have their threatened status ended, at least for the MN/NNE populations.  (Opponents probably have a 200-paragrph lawsuit ready to go if that happens.  When the timber harvesting rules for the Northern long-eared bat were posted, the lawsuit came on the same day.  Only 161 paragraphs, though.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

One thing I hate about living where I do...I’m in that climate belt where it’s marginal to have traditional gutters. A little bit colder/snowier and you ditch the traditional gutters...you are well into that territory. Further south and you usually don’t have to worry because stuff melts frequently enough...but here is that annoying zone where every few winters, it turns into this weeks-long battle. 

That’s interesting - is that gutter/climate stuff really true?  I have to assume we’re in a pretty cold/snowy climate up here in the mountains of NVT, and lots of people have gutters.  I think I’ve had gutters on just about every house I’ve lived in up here in NVT.

My dad is a carpenter/contractor, and one thing I’ve known since I was a kid is that if you have icicles of any sort on your house, it’s bad news.  It means you’re losing heat and the issue should be addressed.  I remember complaining as a kid to my dad about how we never had any icicles on our houses, and I thought it was a bummer because they looked cool.  He’d chastise me of course, telling me the reality of the situation.

I will say, we’ve been in our current house for ~14 years, and through all these crazy winters, I’ve never seen an icicle on the house.  So obviously places can be built in a way to address the issue.  Maybe the gutters catch any liquid that comes off the roof?  The thing is, the snow on our roof never seems to melt anyway, it just sits there all winter and slowly disappears in the spring.  One winter, when the snow on the roof was really stacking up, I asked our builder if we should ever consider clearing snow from the roof.  He laughed and said “Nope, your place is built to code for your location; you’ll never have to worry about that.”  So, I never touch the snow on the roof.

Our builders for this house definitely know their stuff, and they built with gutters and we’ve had no issues of any sort.  I do of course clean out the gutters each fall to get rid of the leaves, but other than that, there hasn’t been anything else to address.

2 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

That’s interesting - is that gutter/climate stuff really true?  I have to assume we’re in a pretty cold/snowy climate up here in the mountains of NVT, and lots of people have gutters.  I think I’ve had gutters on just about every house I’ve lived in up here in NVT.

My dad is a carpenter/contractor, and one thing I’ve known since I was a kid is that if you have icicles of any sort on your house, it’s bad news.  It means you’re losing heat and the issue should be addressed.  I remember complaining as a kid to my dad about how we never had any icicles on our houses, and I thought it was a bummer because they looked cool.  He’d chastise me of course, telling me the reality of the situation.

I will say, we’ve been in our current house for ~14 years, and through all these crazy winters, I’ve never seen an icicle on the house.  So obviously places can be built in a way to address the issue.  Maybe the gutters catch any liquid that comes off the roof?  The thing is, the snow on our roof never seems to melt anyway, it just sits there all winter and slowly disappears in the spring.  One winter, when the snow on the roof was really stacking up, I asked our builder if we should ever consider clearing snow from the roof.  He laughed and said “Nope, your place is built to code for your location; you’ll never have to worry about that.”  So, I never touch the snow on the roof.

Our builders for this house definitely know their stuff, and they built with gutters and we’ve had no issues of any sort.  I do of course clean out the gutters each fall to get rid of the leaves, but other than that, there hasn’t been anything else to address.

You don’t have gutter heaters? Houses over here never have gutters. I haven’t seen any at least. 

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

You don’t have gutter heaters? Houses over here never have gutters. I haven’t seen any at least. 

No, definitely no gutter heaters; I’ve never even heard of them, and I’m sure my dad would have talked about them if he built them into any of our houses.  Our builder here never said anything about them, and I’ve been up there enough times to have a good familiarity with the setup of our gutters at this point.

I was just finishing up a ski tour this afternoon when I got a text alert that we’d been put under a Winter Storm Watch.  Obviously the BTV NWS is concerned enough by what they’re seeing in the modeling to put up a preliminary alert.  We’re not to the point yet that our point forecast lays out all the potential accumulation, but they do have a headline out that suggests 6 to 9 inches of snow are possible from Monday into Tuesday.  The latest BTV NWS alert and projected accumulations maps are below:

13FEB21A.jpg

13FEB21B.jpg

Just now, J.Spin said:

No, definitely no gutter heaters; I’ve never even heard of them, and I’m sure my dad would have talked about them if he built them into any of our houses.  Our builder here never said anything about them, and I’ve been up there enough times to have a good familiarity with the setup of our gutters at this point.

Weird. Seems like gutter technology and design is very different over the border here in NNH. LOL

I am no gutter expert, but the log home guys I have had out to the house all indicated I was within normal parameters without gutters for the kind of house I have. Perhaps the situation is different for a stick-built house.