Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

5 minutes ago, alex said:

Interestingly, aside from all the jist , I think SNErs still root for snow for us more often than not. I remember when I lived in Mass, knowing that there was snow up North was always comforting in a way even when there was no snow in my back yard. Being a skier of course has a lot to do with that as well. 

I live in NY but still spend lots of time in New England (especially with Covid-19 WFH flexibility) as my family is still largely in the Boston area and Southern NH.

Growing up outside of Boston, I always liked having snow around as I liked sledding when I was little, skiing at the local hills midweek (winter 2010-11 had EVERYTHING in play at Blue Hills LOL), etc...

That said, I have almost no interest in it snowing in (downstate) NY for a few reasons 1) if it’s snowing in NYC, it’s probably suppressed for the ski areas 2) it becomes such a mess to deal with and is only pretty for like 2 hours after the storm and 3) after living in Texas for four years of undergrad and two years post grad, I’ve decided that it’s really nice to be able to only wear a light jacket in the winter. 

12 minutes ago, alex said:

Interestingly, aside from all the jist , I think SNErs still root for snow for us more often than not. I remember when I lived in Mass, knowing that there was snow up North was always comforting in a way even when there was no snow in my back yard. Being a skier of course has a lot to do with that as well. 

Right, skiers/ snowmobilers in SNE do. I really don't think the rest do. Most people are very IMBY centric, not saying they shouldn't be, just the way it is I think. Ginx and few others are the outliers.

21 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Right, skiers/ snowmobilers in SNE do. I really don't think the rest do. Most people are very IMBY centric, not saying they shouldn't be, just the way it is I think. Ginx and few others are the outliers.

That's the skier mountain lover in me. But I do love seeing people happy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Um there is this reason you average 150 and us under 65. Lol you are new here but we know our place and definitely know swfe climo.

Yeah it will likely take Phin a few winters to get relaxed with however events may play out and the NNE weather vibe.  He’s still in that Maryland mind set where everything is a snow/winter competition.  Like if a trackable forum event doesn’t work out, there are other ways to get a plowable snowfall.

4 minutes ago, Patriot21 said:

Have some snow coming down, just started.

Thanks for the update.  First flakes here were around 9:00 A.M., but it didn’t really start to pick up until about 10:00 A.M.  The snowfall has generally been light as expected, but perhaps near 0.5”/hr with this latest push of more intense echoes coming in on the radar:

28DEC20A.gif

19 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Thanks for the update.  First flakes here were around 9:00 A.M., but it didn’t really start to pick up until about 10:00 A.M.  The snowfall has generally been light as expected, but perhaps near 0.5”/hr with this latest push of more intense echoes coming in on the radar:

28DEC20A.gif

No problem, I'm not too scientific but I do enjoy giving updates when I can. It's actually snowing pretty good here 

• Like 1

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.02” L.E.

The snowfall tapered off after 11:00 – 11:30 A.M., and the radar shows that the bulk of the echoes have headed north of this area.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 25.0

Snow Density: 4.0% H2O

Temperature: 34.3 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

light dusting here.

I was shocked this morning as I had to go down to town first thing..  The snow cover was the opposite of normal.  The lower I went in elevation the more snow had survived the Christmas melt.  I guess cold air must have been trapped lower while we got the warmth.  It was an odd surprise to see a few inches of glacier in town while even our woods were scoured clean.

2 minutes ago, klw said:

light dusting here.

I was shocked this morning as I had to go down to town first thing..  The snow cover was the opposite of normal.  The lower I went in elevation the more snow had survived the Christmas melt.  I guess cold air must have been trapped lower while we got the warmth.  It was an odd surprise to see a few inches of glacier in town while even our woods were scoured clean.

Yep, same thing happened here. I was wiped out very quickly here whereas there was a little more snow left over down in the town (not much, mind you).