• Member Statistics

    16,055
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    LostInSomers
    Newest Member
    LostInSomers
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
WxUSAF

2020 Fall Foliage

Recommended Posts

Sugar maples and some red maples have a bit of color around me.  Sycamores are doing their typical turn brownish yellow and fall off.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very green here with all the rain over the last couple months.

This time last year there were a bunch of leaves coming down prematurely because of stress due to the dry conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JakkelWx said:

Colors should be very vibrant this year with the wet summer, coming fast and early.

That would be refreshing, last few years we have been in the midst of mini droughts at this time of year making everything crispy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am noticing some color in maples and dogwoods in my inside-the-beltway neighborhood this week. Poplars are still deep green but they're going to start to tinge yellow in a few weeks. The changes seem a bit early this year, not that I mind!

Here's a photo of a dogwood on the NW side of my house that's mostly under a canopy of poplars.

 

rsz_pxl_20200922_152709912portrait-01cover.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We finished a backpacking trip in Dolly Sods yesterday, then settled in last night in Davis/Thomas. Stopped in to Stumptown Ales in the evening for some carry out but didn’t see JonJon.  There’s a lot of nice color up this way. The first couple of photos are from the Sods.

image.jpeg.b796fff38b5979e2960cb788456dfec3.jpeg

image.jpeg.976ccbf92492e11ada62c2e559784cca.jpeg

After a good nights sleep in the motel, a couple of us got up early this morning to stretch our legs and walked out to the Blackwater Falls. The first pic is this morning, and the second one from last July. Easy to see how dry it has been up this way.

image.jpeg.a5f89de9fa3a35f8c1704119375a524a.jpeg

image.jpeg.139f97b9e1efce8e2a09e1a04627e8ed.jpeg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Notice something different with oaks.

We have five pin oaks on our land and two of them are exhibiting the same exact thing.

Just a splash of bright orange color like someone spilled paint on a bunch of leaves in one spot.  I've found this on two of them that I see regularly.  I will have to check out the others to see if they are doing this.  Usually they turn evenly and hold their leaves well into December.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2020 at 10:53 AM, nw baltimore wx said:

We finished a backpacking trip in Dolly Sods yesterday, then settled in last night in Davis/Thomas. Stopped in to Stumptown Ales in the evening for some carry out but didn’t see JonJon.  There’s a lot of nice color up this way. The first couple of photos are from the Sods.

image.jpeg.b796fff38b5979e2960cb788456dfec3.jpeg

image.jpeg.976ccbf92492e11ada62c2e559784cca.jpeg

After a good nights sleep in the motel, a couple of us got up early this morning to stretch our legs and walked out to the Blackwater Falls. The first pic is this morning, and the second one from last July. Easy to see how dry it has been up this way.

image.jpeg.a5f89de9fa3a35f8c1704119375a524a.jpeg

image.jpeg.139f97b9e1efce8e2a09e1a04627e8ed.jpeg

That's awesome, @nw baltimore wx!  I bet in a couple of weeks that area will look amazing as the color really comes out!!  You can definitely see the hints of it starting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

That's awesome, @nw baltimore wx!  I bet in a couple of weeks that area will look amazing as the color really comes out!!  You can definitely see the hints of it starting.

Peak will be gone up there in two weeks. This upcoming weekend is likely to be the one closest to peak. Was up there last weekend and the color was already pronounced.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Peak will be gone up there in two weeks. This upcoming weekend is likely to be the one closest to peak. Was up there last weekend and the color was already pronounced.

Yeah, its pretty much peak looking colors here now.  The nice rain we are getting today should hopefully extend the colors for a while and not have them drop and fall as quickly as they may have as dry as it has been.  This coming weekend should be really good colors still.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Peak will be gone up there in two weeks. This upcoming weekend is likely to be the one closest to peak. Was up there last weekend and the color was already pronounced.

Yeah, I guess that would be true for up in that area.  Closer in to the DC area, it's kind of just getting a little bit of color...so couple of weeks in this area is probably what I was thinking of.  It's been pretty dry too, of late (though should get some good rain tonight), hopefully that won't inhibit things too much to where the leaves just shrivel and fall off, LOL!  The maples have started, I guess they tend to be the first ones to show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Leaves in Winchester are probably two to perhaps three weeks earlier than normal. I guess the cold snap jump started them.

The end of this week’s cool, clear nights will likely move them along too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure colors here are early, think they’re on a normal pace. Just think we forgot what that is after two insanely torchy falls in a row.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

I’m not sure colors here are early, think they’re on a normal pace. Just think we forgot what that is after two insanely torchy falls in a row.

Agreed. This is how I remember it and it's not even that early... October starts tomorrow. The upper elevations in Shenandoah are now starting to show some color based on my hike last Saturday but the understory is still very green with all the rain we've had recently.

This was taken at about 3,000ft: 

http://imgur.com/a/6yx3gep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I’d guess Garrett is 7-14 days from peak which makes sense given Canaan at/near peak now. Dry fall has helped to bring out some good colors. 

Perfect timing for my trip to deep creek next weekend!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent the day in/near canaan. Should hit peak likely during the week. Lots of trees already full color, so if there's any wind this week, poof....away they go. the higher ridges just east of davis are at peak by my estimation. 

Blackwater....above the canyon is close to peak. The canyon would prob be around peak next weekend?? 

Areas south of canaan or west over towards hambleton/Kendricks along the dry fork still have a ways to go. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Spent the day in/near canaan. Should hit peak likely during the week. Lots of trees already full color, so if there's any wind this week, poof....away they go. the higher ridges just east of davis are at peak by my estimation. 

Blackwater....above the canyon is close to peak. The canyon would prob be around peak next weekend?? 

Areas south of canaan or west over towards hambleton/Kendricks along the dry fork still have a ways to go. 

Oh and temps in colder spots were at 26 approaching town this morning w some of the heaviest frost I've ever seen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.