• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    georgefernandis
    Newest Member
    georgefernandis

September 2020 General Discussion

2 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

That's a real hard freeze for this time of year for sure. Mid 30's here this a.m.. Mid to upper 50's this aftrn. Trees turning in town quicker than normal, so inland should be firing up good this week. By the lake, we're about 10-14 days later in color(warmer) and 10-14 days later in spring budding(colder) because of the water temps. Should be a nice drive up Hwy #2. I like to hit the Beaver river Rd off Hwy 15. It takes you up into Finland. That road has a stop for a walking trail that goes up on a ridge. During sunset on a clear day, the maples on the ridge across the valley look like their on fire. Awesome view. Been years tho since I've been up that way. Beaver river rd hits the Hefflefinger, and you go right for finland or left takes you north a ways until you hit Hwy #1 south of Isabella. Take #1 north until you hit #2 then go south back to TH. It's a long drive. Plenty of scenery and even a moose or 2.

Well up here in De Pere it has been a pretty chill September so far. Did not get the rain that Madison got up here last week, only 1-2" or so. The forecast looks pretty chilly the next few days, I have got frost advisories as close as Marinette and Shawano counties so that's nice. I expect that where I am in De Pere is a holdout for frost in the area. It's all urban and while we are low we are also only 7 miles or so from the lake. Up north though they might get into the 20's in the regular cold spots up by Rhinelander and Wausau. It'll be very interesting to see the little weather quirks of the area when I am around here.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Freeze in the forecast tonight.  Have already had two frosts.  Leaves are turning quickly... I expect peak here is about a week away and so far the colors are vibrant this year.

I think its going to be a vibrant fall for most of Michigan. colors starting here and this weeks weather is going to be PERFECT 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

It always amazes me how places in northern MN radiate, even if they're not in a valley or other drainage location. 

All that's needed is dry air and not being in a UHI setting - imagine that.  

The winds were fairly light at INL last night, but by no means calm.  And, obviously, no snow cover.  But it still dropped from 50F at 6 PM, to 32F at 10 PM.

• Thanks 1

119669685_3310013109075508_6902215923972938396_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=e3f864&_nc_ohc=OSjECt1WqXkAX8cGXhk&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=0c713ef70684ab69769fb77456a851a3&oe=5F8A9291

For a few in the upper Great Lakes, the Fall color season is just beginning. We are awaitng the start down here in Findlay and Northwest Ohio. This Fall color picture is from November 2017 in Findlay along the Blanchard River.

• Like 2

Obviously long way out and might not happen but there have been occasional hints on guidance that what will eventually become tropical system Beta could get sucked into the region around next weekend.  Since it looks to be a TX/LA storm, that automatically increases the odds for eventual movement into the region, but still need a favorable enough synoptic pattern in place at that time to prevent too sharp of a recurve.

• Like 1

Low of 28 this morning here with mid 50's at the moment. Might hit 60 today.

Duluth is no longer issuing frost/freeze warnings because growing season is over up this way. Actually it's been over for a few days. :)

Frost advisory up to my east.  

Winds are currently off the lake around here, but should swing e/se later on tonight, putting the lake influence more on WI/IL.  Not a typical cold spot here by any means but I think we'll get into the upper 30s.  Don't think it will get colder than that here but who knows, maybe I'll be surprised.

Frost advisories up all over the province for tonight. Forecast low of 37F at the airport but many of the burbs, including my area, could get down to 33-35F. 

Looking back through history, it would seem this cold is far from unusual. In fact, sub-freezing lows in September were common pre 1985 at the airport. There have been no sub-freezing lows at YYZ since 1993. Don't know if it's because of UHI or climate change or a combination of both. 

No frost advisory here, but think there's a good shot for at least some scattered frost.  We'll be on the west edge of the high pressure, and that's usually a great spot to be for maximum cooling as things go dead calm.  NAM 3km has us hitting 34, which looks quite plausible.  

Like Hoosier mentioned, it sure is nice to see blue skies again with little to no smoke overhead.  

6 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

No frost advisory here, but think there's a good shot for at least some scattered frost.  We'll be on the west edge of the high pressure, and that's usually a great spot to be for maximum cooling as things go dead calm.  NAM 3km has us hitting 34, which looks quite plausible.  

Like Hoosier mentioned, it sure is nice to see blue skies again with little to no smoke overhead.  

It shall return

trc1_int_f44.thumb.png.677f0fc8eb47ce1a90e7aae94ba9e239.png

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, MIstorm97 said:

Thinking of heading up north next weekend for fall colors. Loving these crisp sunny days and cool nights.

I'm in St Helen and was in Grayling yesterday, colors have only just started up here. Maybe ~10% of trees

Record lows set at Detroit (38F) and Flint (30F). it appears that all outlying/rural areas either had a freeze or were close to it with heavy frost. The DTX NWS office in White Lake got down to 27! very impressive for it technically still being summer. We had some rooftop frost here but not on the ground. 

Made it down to 38 here last night. ORD only bottomed out at 46.

Coldest in N IL was 34 at FEP and 37 at ARR/RPJ.