• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    corvairbob
    Newest Member
    corvairbob

September 2020 General Discussion

5 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

There's a shot that some of the smoke may make it down to the surface tomorrow in portions of the region, immediately following the frontal passage.

HRRR models the ground level smoke I think, but I don't remember where to find that.  Do you have the link?

16 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

There's a shot that some of the smoke may make it down to the surface tomorrow in portions of the region, immediately following the frontal passage.

Local weather office thinking the same possibility around here as well.

It has been fun telling various people how the milky white sky is from the fires out west.  Usually the initial reaction is disbelief so it will really be mind blowing if the smell can be detected.  I thought I smelled something a little while ago but it could've been and probably was a local source.

GEFS hinting at a warmup near the end of the month. We'll see if that comes to fruition.

Could be the last bit of widespread summer warmth. 

It's that time of year when we begin seeing wide diurnal swings.  For FWA, the normal summer differences of around 20° widens to around 25° before condensing again in late October. 

Should be about a 35° swing here tomorrow and the weekend also should see at least 30° differences. Shorts during the day and a hoodie at night.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, weatherbo said:

The thickest smoke that I've ever seen. 

20200915_150259.jpg

At Lake of The Clouds looking down the valley this afternoon. It was very thick then.

• Like 5

Sally putting on a last minute rally.  A hurricane crawling at 2 mph toward the coast and strengthening just about up to landfall sounds right for this year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hoosier said:

It has been fun telling various people how the milky white sky is from the fires out west.  Usually the initial reaction is disbelief so it will really be mind blowing if the smell can be detected.  I thought I smelled something a little while ago but it could've been and probably was a local source.

thought the same thing a couple days ago

This was back on Sunday as I was with a friend at a private airport just outside the city. 

Little better today but yesterday and Monday were just bad. 

2044482434_Smokyskies.thumb.jpg.f99c73d86c05ce83a92d4ada56ab23b4.jpg

Temp struggling a bit at ORD.  May be in danger of not making it to 80 (or if it does, it would be a squeaker).  Not really sure what the problem is.  I mean, smoke is a factor you have to consider as of late but yesterday managed to get to 79.  And the starting point this morning was warmer than yesterday.

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Temp struggling a bit at ORD.  May be in danger of not making it to 80 (or if it does, it would be a squeaker).  Not really sure what the problem is.  I mean, smoke is a factor you have to consider as of late but yesterday managed to get to 79.  And the starting point this morning was warmer than yesterday.

Even stranger, it is 4 degrees warmer at PWK.

13 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Cleared up well with the Canadian air moving through. And now the cool weather again with frost and freeze warnings up.

Same here. Nice to see blue sky again. Don’t think we have any frost potential but should drop into the upper 30s

47 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Topped out at 84.

Any idea why they were lagging so much this morning into early afternoon?  At first I was wondering if there was some localized pocket of clouds but visible satellite didn't have much other than some smoke.

0.04" at Indianapolis so far this month.  Next 7 days (at least) look dry and then we'll see what happens after that.

3 of the 10 driest Septembers at IND have happened in the past decade... 2010, 2017, 2019.

• Like 2