• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    seodirect
    Newest Member
    seodirect
July Banter 2020

George BM

I'm hearing from a friend who's a 12 month Carroll county public school's employee that its likely there original plan of in person schooling will be abandoned because of pressure and fear of being singled out as the possible "only " public school system in the area trying to do this . That they don't want a shadow cast on this county.  

Maybe they saw this crap lol.  You can't make this stuff up :lol:

PhotoPictureResizer_200720_192940882_crop_1385x729.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_200721_124244469_crop_1331x795.jpg

28 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I'm hearing from a friend who's a 12 month Carroll county public school's employee that its likely there original plan of in person schooling will be abandoned because of pressure and fear of being singled out as the possible "only " public school system in the area trying to do this . That they don't want a shadow cast on this county.  

Maybe they saw this crap lol.  You can't make this stuff up :lol:

with all due respect, its not crap. I know and am very good friends with three teachers in the BaltCo system who have expressed the same concerns. 

Schools have to do whats best for our kids.  Period.  Stop making it out to be some political game.  We trust our kids to them 3/4ths of the year.  I want them to keep my kid safe.  And if they feel they can't do that in a classroom setting then we make it work some other way.  

Humans have built amazing things.  We won't end our society because Johnny cant draw 2+2 on a chalkboard and give a book report that he barely read.

27 minutes ago, mappy said:

with all due respect, its not crap. I know and am very good friends with three teachers in the BaltCo system who have expressed the same concerns. 

You're entitled to your opinion.  

As far as Carroll county goes...

1.7% positivity rate 

118 out of 132 deaths are in Ltc and nursing facilities. 

1 person under age 19 has died in a state of 6 million. 

Mortality in Carroll county for 50 and under is insanely low  ( maybe .005- .01) .

Also 60% of  total Md cases are in only  3 counties of 23 counties  .

The path forward is obvious imo here in Carroll county especially. 

I'm not even going to mention the dozens of  negative consequences to just the children if they can't go to school. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

1.7% positivity rate 

Mortality in Carroll county for 50 and under is insanely low  ( maybe .005- .01) .

I'm not even going to mention the dozens of  negative consequences to just the children if they can't go to school. 

as are you, but you don't see me telling you your thoughts are crap. 

Never said your thoughts were crap...just the articles.  Wills and obituaries..really?

You dont see the daycare worker creating a will

You dont see the grocery cashier creating a will

You dont see the convenience store employee cleaning the toilets creating a will.

What about the plumber , electrician, Hvac worker coming into 100s of homes including me .

As far as kids...there's numerous studies out there showing extremely low risk. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Never said your thoughts were crap...just the articles.  Wills and obituaries..really?

You dont see the convenience store employee cleaning the toilets creating a will.

What about the plumber , electrician, Hvac worker coming into 100s of homes including me .

You have no idea who has or hasn't created a will, don't be quick to assume. Just because there isn't a news story on it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. And just because you are okay with the risk, doesn't mean others are. Perhaps you should talk to the numerous teachers we have here in our own subforum and whether they feel creating a will out of fear of a virus, is crap or not?

3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Teachers tend to be dramatic lol. I’m not gonna pretend I know what the correct move is. All decisions have consequences.  I personally think a hybrid method is best but I have nothing to back it up. 

3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

low risk of what? getting it? About how passing it on to teachers, staff, administrators. Who then pass it on to those at home. Just because kids don't get severely ill doesn't mean that those they come in contact with don't get sick. I want my kid in school as much as the next parent, but doing so safely needs to be done. 

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

Teachers tend to be dramatic lol. I’m not gonna pretend I know what the correct move is. All decisions have consequences.  I personally think a hybrid method is best but I have nothing to back it up. 

teachers are dramatic. got it. i'm sure our resident teachers here will appreciate that sentiment. 

• Like 1

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

For me, my concern is twofold:

1) How does in person education, especially for very young kids that don’t do masks & social distancing well, impact the older educators and adults at home where the risk is objectively higher.

2) How would online learning for another year ripple through the education trajectory of kids moving forward. This is an unprecedented disruption and a lot of kids and families as aren’t capable with online instruction. 

There really isn’t an easy answer here. My community is hoping to try a bit of a hybrid to balance those two concerns.

No there isn't an easy answer. And honestly, if people would just do their part (wear masks, stay socially distant) we would probably be in an overall better place that school can open safely even if its a hybrid version. But it sucks to see people have complete disregard for those who teach our children. As if their lives aren't worth a damn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

Its not even so much that kids can get it while at school but kids can't control the actions of their parents who could bring it home and unwittingly pass it to their kids.  And then THEY transmit it around the schools.

A lot of my teachers were older, so they would definitely be at risk. If they weren’t able to show up for some reason, I don’t know who’d replace them. We can’t just have some random person who’s teaching for the first time come in and teach AP Calc... not going to work. It might, but once you reach Related Rates, it will all go downhill.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

1.7% positivity rate 

I know this probably isn't even being considered, but outdoor classes would be a good solution.  This would especially make sense for rural districts that have more space.  You'd need to set up those big carnival tents and figure out bathrooms and stuff, and of course you'd have to deal with the kids and families complaining about the bugs/heat/cold/whatever, but IMO it's a much better solution than Zoom classes.  As a teacher I'd be excited to do it, all I'd need is some kind of portable white board.   In this region we could probably run it almost to Thanksgiving without major problems. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mappy said:

No there isn't an easy answer. And honestly, if people would just do their part (wear masks, stay socially distant) we would probably be in an overall better place that school can open safely even if its a hybrid version. But it sucks to see people have complete disregard for those who teach our children. As if their lives aren't worth a damn.

yep and it mainly boils down to we have rudimentary knowledge of the virus and what it does (which is growing on an exponential level damn near daily) and people are trying to Dunning-Kruger their way into opening things up because they're impatient. On top of that as you said, if wearing masked hadn't become politicized then again like you said would make opening schools less of a risk.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mappy said:

teachers are dramatic. got it. i'm sure our resident teachers here will appreciate that sentiment. 

I am a bit of a drama queen. B)

We are back in session here, running well below capacity. Not your typical school. The "kids" are at least early 20s. We have folks come here from all over. At least one dude here is from Texas, and a few from California. :yikes:

Quite a few staff and adjunct instructors here I know are high risk, should they get infected. The COVID policy is pretty solid, but there are things I don't like.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, biodhokie said:

Correct, and it mainly boils down to we have rudimentary knowledge of the virus and what it does (which is growing on an exponential level damn near daily) and people are trying to Dunning-Kruger their way into opening things up because they're impatient. On top of that as you said, if wearing masked hadn't become politicized then again like you said would make opening schools less of a risk.

I wholeheartedly agree that not every place is the same. Some counties are in much much better places than others. And any school decision should be county based, hell even district based (as an example, in my area cases are SUPER LOW (less than 20 in my zip code) while areas near the city are much much higher.) Will it be safer in Hereford Zone schools than say Catonsville? Maybe... but it only takes one person to be sick and it spreads. We know damn well kids, especially younger kids, cannot and will not do all the things they need to do keep their germs to themselves. But we also cannot just generalize the decision based on that. Its a tough situation all around and I for one am glad I am not in the position to have to make that decision. 

FWIW: we went with a hybrid school year for our kid in the survey that was sent by BaltCo. We want our kid in school. Virtual learning sucks, and she was only finishing first grade. I can only imagine the trials parents went through for older kids. And I feel for those parents and kids alike. Its a sucky ass situation all around, with no right (or easy) answer. 

I just wish people had more empathy for others even if they themselves are not directly impacted by the decisions being made.

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

I am a bit of a drama queen. B)

We are back in session here, running well below capacity. Not your typical school. The "kids" are at least early 20s. We have folks come here from all over. At least one dude here is from Texas, and a few from California. :yikes:

Quite a few staff and adjunct instructors here I know are high risk, should they get infected. The COVID policy is pretty solid, but there are things I don't like.

I dont think there can be a perfect system in place that can ensure kids, teachers, staff alike don't get sick, or spread it. It's impossible. Everyone has a level of risk they are okay with, and we all need to be respectful to that without calling our teachers dramatic or saying creating a will is crap. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm simply saying for Carroll county the metrics look really good and  the  option should be given  for families and teachers who want to be back In person 100% to be able to choose that ...and there are many who do ...as well as the 100% online option for those families and teachers who are fearful of returning to face to face . I mentioned the other day the teachers that don't want to return in person can teach the online courses . Seems rational to me .  Many daycares have been open and many private schools are choosing to have in person . Simply my opinion.  Not looking for war here .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mappy said:

I dont think there can be a perfect system in place that can ensure kids, teachers, staff alike don't get sick, or spread it. It's impossible. Everyone has a level of risk they are okay with, and we all need to be respectful to that without calling our teachers dramatic or saying creating a will is crap. 

I just finished converting a course to online format. That may be the only one, as our courses have major lab components, and/or physical assessments. Students really need to be here to complete the courses we offer. We will see how this goes. Cant account for everything, and ofc there is human nature, and nature of this virus. It could always go badly, as it has in several places on a larger scale when people don't comply with the simple, painless, and proven methods for minimizing spread.

Just now, CAPE said:

I just finished converting a course to online format. That may be the only one, as our courses have major lab components, and/or physical assessments. Students really need to be here to complete the courses we offer. We will see how this goes. Cant account for everything, and ofc there is human nature, and nature of this virus. It could always go badly, as it has in several places on a larger scale when people don't comply with the simple, painless, and proven methods for minimizing spread.

What do you teach, if I may ask?

6 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I'm simply saying for Carroll county the metrics look really good and  the  option should be given  for families and teachers who want to be back In person 100% to be able to choose that ...and there are many who do ...as well as the 100% online option for those families and teachers who are fearful of returning to face to face . I mentioned the other day the teachers that don't want to return in person can teach the online courses . Seems rational to me .  Many daycares have been open and many private schools are choosing to have in person . Simply my opinion.  Not looking for war here .

And what you say is perfectly rational and within reason, and makes sense based on how well carroll county is doing. but please dont diminish teachers who are genuinely concerned for their well being by saying their actions are crap. it doesn't look good. 

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Yup, I understand. We are lucky that our kid is going into second grade. Being her home-school teacher isn't hard. Its a juggling act between work and her, but its not tough to keep her on track and making sure she's learning the things she needs too. I'm hopeful that BaltCo will handle any virtual learning in the fall better than they did in the spring, because it was terrible. 

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

What do you teach, if I may ask?

Engineering courses. I get to teach the fun stuff- industrial automation and networking.

Our students all work on big ships- merchant marines and US Navy predominately- and a few other commercial customers from the maritime industry.

• Like 2

Just now, CAPE said:

Engineering courses. I get to teach the fun stuff- industrial automation and networking.

Our students all work on big ships- merchant marines and US Navy predominately- and a few other commercial customers from the maritime industry.

That does seem fun.  Teaching at that level seems like a different universe than teaching high school. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.