Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday, May 15, 2020 Severe Weather Potential

weatherwiz

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Do you really think we see dewpoints in the 63-65F range? There is model support for it but I am struggling to find any evidence that happens. I can see 61-62 happening. 

Also, I see some on social media going sounding happy and this is something I've noticed and not sure if there is some type of issue with generating soundings but some of the soundings (SHARPpy) people are tossing around have rather high lapse rates and dewpoints and thus throwing out some big CAPE values.

I could see those dews.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

HRRR going wild with SUPs south of the warm front and seemingly weak trigger. That looks strange to me?

The HRRR would be borderline localized tornado outbreak but yeah that looks strange to me as well. It does develop some pretty high CAPE with not much of a cap so perhaps that's the reason? But I just don't see enough support (trigger) for that scenario. 

The HRRR also seems to have a bias with WF supercells 

29 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

The HRRR would be borderline localized tornado outbreak but yeah that looks strange to me as well. It does develop some pretty high CAPE with not much of a cap so perhaps that's the reason? But I just don't see enough support (trigger) for that scenario.

Was thinking similar, overdone.

Random obs, it also put dewpoints 65-70 around Springfield/Hippy Valley. 

38 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

No EML in this particular set up I presume?

No EML. Lapse rates will be ehhh. 

16 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Was thinking similar, overdone.

Random obs, it also put dewpoints 65-70 around Springfield/Hippy Valley. 

yeah those dews aren't happening lol

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Sort of advecting in from the OV? That might be what I was overlooking...source region 

OV/MAtl

Those mid 50s dews start advecting into SNE by sunrise just aloft at 925. Anyone still dealing with residual cooler sfc air should have that mix out pretty quickly. Then we pool it up a bit more as the day goes on.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

OV/MAtl

Those mid 50s dews start advecting into SNE by sunrise just aloft at 925. Anyone still dealing with residual cooler sfc air should have that mix out pretty quickly. Then we pool it up a bit more as the day goes on.

Gotcha. 

Well if we can get dews around 65 that will at least help boost instability given lapse rates won't be too great. 

Mm... lived in this region of the country too long...  If the wind is veered anything more than 190 (~) than anywhere east of I-91 (N-S) over eastern Mass looking at an incredible severe day of gentle elevated sheet lightning ...maybe even a "die line" as far west as the CT River Valley.

• Like 1