Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May Discussion

weatherwiz

7 hours ago, dendrite said:

I need the blue sky. It seems to limit the black flies to only 80% unbearable versus 100% unbearable. Once we get that thin alto or cirrostratus with a little warmth it's like they come out with an even more voracious appetite. Give me skeeters over those other little annoying buggers any day.

They have been brutal the last 7 days.

17 hours ago, dendrite said:

I need the blue sky. It seems to limit the black flies to only 80% unbearable versus 100% unbearable. Once we get that thin alto or cirrostratus with a little warmth it's like they come out with an even more voracious appetite. Give me skeeters over those other little annoying buggers any day.

speak for yourself, the deer flies are what bother me the most, at least around here.....they hurt, bug spray don't work, and they're constantly pinging your head. They also are around longer than black flies. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

speak for yourself, the deer flies are what bother me the most, at least around here.....they hurt, bug spray don't work, and they're constantly pinging your head. They also are around longer than black flies. 

I hate them all

prob in this order or least to most

black flies

mosquitos

deer flies.      The bug rackets are the best invention ever

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Dragon flies love those deer/horse flies, Always a welcomed sight when they arrive.

Way back when I was at forestry summer camp near Princeton, Maine, we were building a timber bridge for a logging road and the black flies were taking full advantage of all the fresh meat - about 25 of us at the site.  Mid-afternoon a large squadron of dragonflies arrived and 10 minutes later, not a black fly in sight.

With one exception, I've found black flies don't like hot and sunny wx - temp gets much over 80 and they abandon the field to the deerflies.  (Those latter beasts are impervious to heat, not surprising as they come from the underworld.)  The exception was June of 1996 in northern Maine, temp low 90s, and even 500' from shore in a canoe I was getting pounded - maybe too little airspace over land for that huge population.  A friend with a bug-netted hat was having trouble seeing clearly due to so many hungry flies crawling on the netting.

Thru Sunday the flies were out but not yet biting - any day now.  However, the black fly season here is about 2 weeks, maybe a third as long as where I lived in Fort Kent.  But as already posted, the deerflies are on patrol from early June thru mid September.

Nice to have upper 60s yesterday rather than the low 50s with a 2" dousing that was being forecast 3 days earlier.  Yesterday's 68/38 was 1° AN, a modest departure but my first AN day since May 3 and only the 3rd since April 14.  Hasn't been hugely BN - 4/15 thru 5/17 averaged -5 and only 4 days in that period reached double digits BN.  Looks to be some serious AN late week.

• Like 1