Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 27 2020 late season snow event

wxeyeNH

42 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Stringing things out is definitely a problem, we need the rates for something special below 1000 ft. But the HRRR tends to be a little too warm in the boundary layer, so likely has trouble producing snow.

Yeah I think for even 1000ft you would want 0.5”< QPF in a 6-hr period to have a shot at high end advisory snows.... I think you’ll have to go to the 1500-2000ft+ mid-slope elevations to get like 0.05”/hr rates to work.  

But yeah for any shot under 1000ft someone better be putting at least 0.10” per hour through the tipper.

53 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Stringing things out is definitely a problem, we need the rates for something special below 1000 ft. But the HRRR tends to be a little too warm in the boundary layer, so likely has trouble producing snow.

Seems that warm push at 750 just got muted pretty good on 12z gfs. From Mitch to Monads ...WCB could have some nice elevation snows even in southern (CNE) elevated areas ...

• Like 1

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Seems that warm push at 750 just got muted pretty good on 12z gfs. From Mitch to Monads ...WCB could have some nice elevation snows even in southern elevated areas ...

Yeah I like bumping up numbers in the Monadnocks. I mean I should because I just updated the forecast to increase amounts there. 

The consistently dry layer lingering around the DGZ is problematic though, because that will hurt rates. I would like to see some hi-res guidance spitting out 1"/hr, but I'm really not seeing it. That's why I think elevation may have to drive things more.

18 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah I like bumping up numbers in the Monadnocks. I mean I should because I just updated the forecast to increase amounts there. 

The consistently dry layer lingering around the DGZ is problematic though, because that will hurt rates. I would like to see some hi-res guidance spitting out 1"/hr, but I'm really not seeing it. That's why I think elevation may have to drive things more.

OceanSt,  how come you didn't go with a WWA for Grafton County NH?  Lots of elevated areas.  Most of the population is on the east side of the county.  

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Matt and Danielle really cherish their privacy and time with their kids.  I was cleaning brush along our wall and in front of his driveway yesterday and could see through the woods they were in the yard.  I just hesitate to be too neighborly and walking up the driveway to say hi or to ask Matt what he thinks.

So he’s a family man now eh? :lol:   Hopefully a few inches for you. It’s definitely more strung out, unfortunately. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

OceanSt,  how come you didn't go with a WWA for Grafton County NH?  Lots of elevated areas.  Most of the population is on the east side of the county.  

Who said I'm done with headlines? ;)

It was the mid shift's call not mine, but sometimes we don't sample above certain elevations on purpose so as to not skew averages over a zone. Likewise having more CT River elevations can skew us away from impactful amounts of snow where people live.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Who said I'm done with headlines? ;)

It was the mid shift's call not mine, but sometimes we don't sample above certain elevations on purpose so as to not skew averages over a zone. Likewise having more CT River elevations can skew us away from impactful amounts of snow where people live.

That WCB is really going to town West of Albany 

Was surprised  to see some snow on cams around and over 2K SW of ALB already

i wonder how that will translate E / NE as far as holding together and rates 

lots of 33’s around 1800-2k on W U sites in middle of day out there 

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

That WCB is really going to town West of Albany 

Was surprised  to see some snow on cams around and over 2K SW of ALB already

i wonder how that will translate E / NE as far as holding together and rates 

lots of 33’s around 1800-2k on W U sites in middle of day out there 

You can see it pretty clearly on visible satellite, there's some slantwise instability in there that's probably increasing rates. 

I'm expecting the bulk of that to slide across my higher terrain areas, but I'm not sure my coast can get into it.

1 minute ago, MarkO said:

Balmy 53.9/27. Wife wants to head back to Lowell. I guess I'll be watching it from my webcam. :/

Your about the same as me.   52.3/28. 

This is the time I would be having the family argument .  Please can't we just stay till tomorrow?  Other half.  Let's get out of here before any bad weather!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ineedsnow said:

He raises hell in the house lol. We take him out as often as we can..  non weather related but might be moving to belchertown .. not the valley but not the hills . Hopefully  more snow though being a little higher :)

They definitely do a little better for snow.....won't be the same down here without you