Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fear and loathing April, 2020 discussion, obs, and the occasional derailment

Typhoon Tip

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nice firehose on the NAM...too bad it wasn't 3 weeks earlier, lol.

Wouldn't shock me if locales like Blue Hill observatory ...or up along the slopes of the eastern ORH hills recoup a few hours of cat paws or even some mangled 'chutes during the first 6 or so hours of that (50-56 hours) in a NAM thermal handling. 

Actually all models indicate that interval as warm advection from the NE ... a bit counter-intuitive but that is actually not that atypical for a deeply core-wrapped west Atlantic cyclones that are pinned under a west based -NAO ridge in the spring.  This used to happen more frequently in the 1990s. 

So we get some pingers and white globule rain drops for a while, and then it's cold mist and light rain horror show for another 12 hours after that, and then we're done as the whole structure rotates SE and away...  And notice the 500 mb thickness tapestry matures some 6 to 10 dm prior to after that spoke pivots through? That's a warm front/symbolically

Saturday could be a fantastic day and probably starts the transition into an extended period of probably the best 850 mb thermal layout of the spring so far..though obviously nuances/sensible surface weather to be determined.  The Euro looked like it was attempting to paint a couple gems 7, ...10

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Still hanging around 30° under the clouds in Augusta.  Spring sun working on last evening's 2" of fluff but it's slow going so far.  Sun comes out for 30 minutes and it's gone.

Actually took about 60 minutes of partly cloudy.  Anything not in shade is gone.

And April install?  In 21 years I've yet to record a single cooling DD before May, though 4/28/09 was close (89/41 but desert dry and 4/29 was 58/34.)  Haven't had a minimum 60+ (where stickiness begins) prior to 5/26.

10 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Actually took about 60 minutes of partly cloudy.  Anything not in shade is gone.

And April install?  In 21 years I've yet to record a single cooling DD before May, though 4/28/09 was close (89/41 but desert dry and 4/29 was 58/34.)  Haven't had a minimum 60+ (where stickiness begins) prior to 5/26.

Earliest one here was 3/31/98 unless you want to count the 65.0F mean for CON on 1/1/1876. :lol:

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Thankfully there's enough NE flow that we've advected in dry air today. It's pretty nice for the E 1/2 of NE...albeit chilly.

Ohgh....no comparison! 

Compared to yesterday and the day before?     my god - 

I'll take 47 and full sun post the Equinox over that layering between rectal-plaque and Satan's colon walls weather we were given yesterday.  That  was our world-ending salvation...

Classic gaining sun-angle mid spring scenario where the MOS may nail it but the backyards bust 1 to 3 clicks warmer...  Love these faux-warm afternoons for the alternative they offer comparing the drab misery of yesterday's ilk.   

So it's 50 here at multiple home stations within a mile or two of mi casa.  And the wind is negligible ...so when you find a 'sun nook' it's really a stolen gem compared to what the overall week's appeal looked like at any modeling point before this day for this time period. 

Saturday then opens up spectacular ...could be a first top 10er day of the year. 

850's +2 C SE of a Rut-Con line... with PGF focusing a subtle d-slope look, and RH flooring/open sky .. it could snow Friday morning at least in the air, and have that be 66 F the next afternoon in that look...  I don't actually care as much suffering April shitz weather if it's going to modulate mercy the next day like that - fine!

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Thankfully there's enough NE flow that we've advected in dry air today. It's pretty nice for the E 1/2 of NE...albeit chilly.

Been absolutely beautiful out this way today.  Full sunshine since 11am or so?  

Temps in the 40s and dews in the 20s. Plenty warm enough with sunshine.

407D3DAE-485B-42CF-A9C6-6B10976DF451.thumb.jpeg.9252bee7d96b5bccac614dd7d453c390.jpeg

• Like 1

Yeah,  I noticed the 12Z Euro chance of giving me a bit of snow.  Let's see if 18Z takes it away

Here's a video of today's snow and the clearing adverting from the north.  One minute it's winter and then by midday it's gone

https://video.nest.com/clip/5322466be1a248e89b927e7596858d7b.mp4

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Yeah,  I noticed the 12Z Euro chance of giving me a bit of snow.  Let's see if 18Z takes it away

Here's a video of today's snow and the clearing adverting from the north.  One minute it's winter and then by midday it's gone

https://video.nest.com/clip/5322466be1a248e89b927e7596858d7b.mp4

That is amazing thanks for posting