Total Members
    Most Online
    Duke Of Lizards
    Newest Member
    Duke Of Lizards
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

2 hours ago, Powerball said:

BuT tHe ThE vIrUs WiLl JuSt DiSaPpEaR iN tHe HeAt!!!

Yeah, the virus disappearing in the heat might go down as one of the worst takes in history.  I think that belief subconsciously influenced the Southern states to open early too.  It also influenced the decision for the NBA to choose Florida as their bubble location.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Inverted_Trough said:

Yeah, the virus disappearing in the heat might go down as one of the worst takes in history.  I think that belief subconsciously influenced the Southern states to open early too.  It also influenced the decision for the NBA to choose Florida as their bubble location.

As bad as that take was, I'd say the recommendation to inject Lysol into your veins has it beat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Statewide masking order goes into effect in Indiana on Monday for people over 8 years old.  I am not sure where that particular number is coming from.  I know there is some data out there to suggest that kids over age 10 and especially over age 15 are better at spreading the virus than younger kids.

Looks to be same as Ohio's.   Exceptions for outdoors when distancing and medical conditions. 

14 hours ago, Stebo said:

I am perfectly fine, but I work in an environment where there are thousands of strangers coming through my work every day from all over the country. So I don't think it is remotely irrational to be cautious and careful. And to also wish for less people needlessly traveling rather than people saying **** it and going on vacation all over the country. As for dangerous, how can you not think it is somewhat dangerous with the thousands of cases and thousands of people dead. At what point do some of you get it, when it directly impacts your family? Is that what it will take for you to understand the danger?

I didn't say it wasn't dangerous, I said it wasn't THAT dangerous. Honestly though I've worked in manufacturing my whole life, and been in some places, especially steel mills, that make coronavirus look like a walk in the park. If I'm not afraid to go into a mine or a steel mill why would I be afraid to board a physically distant aircraft with an N95 mask on? Really though I'm not mad at you or your responses, but I do worry this thing has you in an actual state of intense phobia. You can live your life a little bit and be cautious while doing so. Maybe don't go to Greektown lol but somethings are okay.

On the positive side the lack of doing anything is going to help out the old bank account well!

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Statewide masking order goes into effect in Indiana on Monday for people over 8 years old.  I am not sure where that particular number is coming from.  I know there is some data out there to suggest that kids over age 10 and especially over age 15 are better at spreading the virus than younger kids.

This needs to be done at a national level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

They should exempt all elementary school age kids. My son is 9 years old and we were at Ikea for 45 mins this past weekend and he was about to pop. Right now the plan is that they'll wear them in the hallways and teachers have to wear them the entire time they're in the building.

I suggested they lower the AC temp a bit to help,  it was a bit warm in that store which I found to be stifling. 

3 hours ago, Powerball said:

As bad as that take was, I'd say the recommendation to inject Lysol into your veins has it beat. 

Yea, Trump has his rambling sessions.....

Sadly, no matter who you vote for this November -- you're going to get this type of president.

Biden sounds terrible if you actually watch a few of his recent interviews. Like, he makes Trump look polished.

• Weenie 1

Guest ovweather

Saw a post on FB from an anti-masker. This person, who is a dental surgeon, says masks are useless in stopping the spread of viruses. The only reason surgeons wear them in operating rooms is in case they sneeze or cough, so they don’t possibly infect open wounds. Wait, what? If masks are useless from stopping the spread of germs, then why bother even wearing them during surgery? People can contradict themselves so shamelessly it’s sad. No one ever said masks are 100% effective. But even if they are only 25% effective, that’s sure better than nothing during a pandemic.

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Ohio goes under a statewide order at 6pm today for 10 year olds and older. Obvious exceptions for medical conditions and eating and drinking.

4 hours ago, nwohweather said:

I didn't say it wasn't dangerous, I said it wasn't THAT dangerous. Honestly though I've worked in manufacturing my whole life, and been in some places, especially steel mills, that make coronavirus look like a walk in the park. If I'm not afraid to go into a mine or a steel mill why would I be afraid to board a physically distant aircraft with an N95 mask on? Really though I'm not mad at you or your responses, but I do worry this thing has you in an actual state of intense phobia. You can live your life a little bit and be cautious while doing so. Maybe don't go to Greektown lol but somethings are okay.

On the positive side the lack of doing anything is going to help out the old bank account well!

First off when you say something isn't that dangerous after killing nearly 150k people in the matter of 5 months the rest of what you're about to say is meaningless. You can think it isn't that big of a deal but it is. And your suggestion that I am in some state of phobia because I want people to be careful is just really a bad look on your part. It is very obvious by your posts that this is nothing and at this point nothing will change your mind on it. Me and others will look back on this in history and know we did the right thing by being cautious.

Also if you took the time to read my post I distinctly said that people weren't wearing masks even coming on or off a plane. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ovweather said:

Saw a post on FB from an anti-masker. This person, who is a dental surgeon, says masks are useless in stopping the spread of viruses. The only reason surgeons wear them in operating rooms is in case they sneeze or cough, so they don’t possibly infect open wounds. Wait, what? If masks are useless from stopping the spread of germs, then why bother even wearing them during surgery? People can contradict themselves so shamelessly it’s sad. No one ever said masks are 100% effective. But even if they are only 25% effective, that’s sure better than nothing during a pandemic.

The bolded is scary.

Just saw figures from medical authorities that over 200,000 Americans could be killed by the virus by the time we reach November if things continue at present rate.  That is one third the number of those killed from four years of the American Civil War.   Wear a mask and socially distance yourself.  Part of America's problem is our rugged sense of freedom and individualism. But unlimited freedom is anarchy.  That's why we have laws requiring seat belts, traffic laws, insurance requirements, etc.  The public good of the community takes precedence over individual freedom in some situations.  This has been our historical precedent.  And I am very worried about those who are suspicious of scientific findings.  Yes, conclusions may change as new data warrant.  But there is a sound scientific method and peer review in science of which I am deeply appreciative.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Just saw figures from medical authorities that over 200,000 Americans could be killed by the virus by the time we reach November if things continue at present rate.  That is one third the number of those killed from four years of the American Civil War.   Wear a mask and socially distance yourself.  Part of America's problem is our rugged sense of freedom and individualism. But unlimited freedom is anarchy.  That's why we have laws requiring seat belts, traffic laws, insurance requirements, etc.  The public good of the community takes precedence over individual freedom in some situations.  This has been our historical precedent.  And I am very worried about those who are suspicious of scientific findings.  Yes, conclusions may change as new data warrant.  But there is a sound scientific method and peer review in science of which I am deeply appreciative.

Good post.  

Just wear a damn mask.  Anything that can help lessen spread of this virus.  There is room for debate about the exact effectiveness of face coverings and which ones work the best, but I'd be shocked if it turned out that they didn't help at all with covid.

There is a better argument for not having a covid vaccine be mandatory (you can't take it off or undo it like a mask and there are actually some side effects with vaccines) but I suppose that is an argument for another time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Good post.  

Just wear a damn mask.  Anything that can help lessen spread of this virus.  There is room for debate about the exact effectiveness of face coverings and which ones work the best, but I'd be shocked if it turned out that they didn't help at all with covid.

There is a better argument for not having a covid vaccine be mandatory (you can't take it off or undo it like a mask and there are actually some side effects with vaccines) but I suppose that is an argument for another time.

There can be a debate on the effectiveness, but at the end of the day the effectiveness is much greater than 0% and that is the part that matters.

• Like 3

Well it got me and it's definitely not done with me.  I'll be brief but just wanted to share a frontline experience.  I began not feeling well the around the first-second week of May.  Mainly persistent headaches and joint pain.  I believe I posted before I've had chronic Lyme disease for over 12 years and have had a few flare ups in that time.  I figured that's what it was.  I didn't have a fever, no trouble breathing, none of the common symptoms of Covid.  After 2 more days it got worse, especially the headaches.  I called my physician, who is an LLMD, and he ordered both a Lyme test and a Covid test.  He didnt think it was Covid either because I wasn't showing typical Covid symptoms.  Scheduled the tests the next day, had them, got a quick Covid diagnostic while at the lab, no fever, oxygen levels fine, lungs clear, then went back home.

48 hours later I was in an ambulance because the ol'lady couldn't wake me up.  All I remember is laying down on the couch with an ice pack on my head and 2 dogs on top of me and then waking up in ICU feeling like a marionette with all the tubes and wires hooked to me.  I was told I was out for about 36 hours.  I got the quick test at the hospital and was positive.  I guess my other test came back positive 3 days later, Lyme test negative..

Once again to keep it brief, I thought if I got this thing it would hit me in the chest because I've been an on and off smoker for 40 some years.  The virus didn't hit me there.  It hit me in my blood and in my brain.  The encephalitis in my brain got bad enough I was put into an induced coma and intubated for 17 days to try and reduce the severe swelling.  I had to have 3 blood transfusions during that time because the virus was really screwing with my red blood cells causing them to basically work opposite of the way they are supposed to work.  I consciously never knew it but I guess I was on the edge.  Subconsciously, and I'm serious, I lived an entire lifetime in another dimension with vivid memories of my life, decades of my life,completely different from my life, that, well, weren't real?  The hardest part was the loneliness after I woke up.  Those stories about you're in there all by yourself, they're not kidding.  It was almost 2 weeks after I woke up before I got moved out of ICU and the Covid ward before I could see anyone besides nurses and Dr's dressed up in biohazard space suits.

Anyway, I was in the hospital for almost 2 months, I got out on the 10th.  I'm just now starting to get semi right, so I'm told lol.  There's no medical evidence of brain damage, I still have what little scruples I had before this.  I told her nothing can keep me away from hurricane season, guess I arrived just in time :arrrg:

I may be an extreme case but at least I'm alive.  145k and counting aren't.  Better perspective, 140k since April 1st.  Please don't take this lightly.  Please think about your loved ones, your friends, your neighbor, your fellow citizens.  Please think about Gertrude who already has one foot in the grave, let her put the other foot in, it's her right.  Nobody deserves to get sick, go through what I have or to die like my friend did back when this started over stupid selfish pride.  

Where a damn mask, it's the least you can do.

(maybe I'm not right that took me 3 hours lol)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 6

Jack, I'm glad to see that you are recovering. I was really concerned when you quit posting, I just knew something was terribly wrong.  What a horrible nightmare for you. Your story should be told to every anti-masker. As you said, you really don't deserve what happened to you. Prayers for a full recovery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Well it got me and it's definitely not done with me.  I'll be brief but just wanted to share a frontline experience.  I began not feeling well the around the first-second week of May.  Mainly persistent headaches and joint pain.  I believe I posted before I've had chronic Lyme disease for over 12 years and have had a few flare ups in that time.  I figured that's what it was.  I didn't have a fever, no trouble breathing, none of the common symptoms of Covid.  After 2 more days it got worse, especially the headaches.  I called my physician, who is an LLMD, and he ordered both a Lyme test and a Covid test.  He didnt think it was Covid either because I wasn't showing typical Covid symptoms.  Scheduled the tests the next day, had them, got a quick Covid diagnostic while at the lab, no fever, oxygen levels fine, lungs clear, then went back home.

48 hours later I was in an ambulance because the ol'lady couldn't wake me up.  All I remember is laying down on the couch with an ice pack on my head and 2 dogs on top of me and then waking up in ICU feeling like a marionette with all the tubes and wires hooked to me.  I was told I was out for about 36 hours.  I got the quick test at the hospital and was positive.  I guess my other test came back positive 3 days later, Lyme test negative..

Once again to keep it brief, I thought if I got this thing it would hit me in the chest because I've been an on and off smoker for 40 some years.  The virus didn't hit me there.  It hit me in my blood and in my brain.  The encephalitis in my brain got bad enough I was put into an induced coma and intubated for 17 days to try and reduce the severe swelling.  I had to have 3 blood transfusions during that time because the virus was really screwing with my red blood cells causing them to basically work opposite of the way they are supposed to work.  I consciously never knew it but I guess I was on the edge.  Subconsciously, and I'm serious, I lived an entire lifetime in another dimension with vivid memories of my life, decades of my life,completely different from my life, that, well, weren't real?  The hardest part was the loneliness after I woke up.  Those stories about you're in there all by yourself, they're not kidding.  It was almost 2 weeks after I woke up before I got moved out of ICU and the Covid ward before I could see anyone besides nurses and Dr's dressed up in biohazard space suits.

Anyway, I was in the hospital for almost 2 months, I got out on the 10th.  I'm just now starting to get semi right, so I'm told lol.  There's no medical evidence of brain damage, I still have what little scruples I had before this.  I told her nothing can keep me away from hurricane season, guess I arrived just in time :arrrg:

I may be an extreme case but at least I'm alive.  145k and counting aren't.  Better perspective, 140k since April 1st.  Please don't take this lightly.  Please think about your loved ones, your friends, your neighbor, your fellow citizens.  Please think about Gertrude who already has one foot in the grave, let her put the other foot in, it's her right.  Nobody deserves to get sick, go through what I have or to die like my friend did back when this started over stupid selfish pride.  

Wow - thanks for sharing that.  I am glad you recovered and are okay.

Any idea where you think you contracted it from?

• Like 2

Take care.

Thank you for sharing that. It is impactful to me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Damn man.  Thanks for sharing your account.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

did the virus get taft?

Had the same thought.  I mean, he was living in Florida and they are going through a rough time.

Though the story said he was surrounded by family members, which could suggest another cause since people who die of covid usually die without family physically present.  Unless they were on a video chat or something...

Bars/clubs in Indianapolis are closing and restaurants are going back down to 50%.  I think it is only Indy/Marion county so far and not across the state.  

We have not trended very well in July, though fortunately the hospital situation is not currently on the brink as is the case in other states.

Screenshot_20200724-155606.thumb.png.19bd31564f6076baa7fbace29fc03e80.png

11 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Jack I am glad to hear you are recovering and this should be a reminder to people that it can hit close to home.

• Like 2

National covid hospitalization levels are at the level they were at back in April.  Does not mean we will see a death rate like we had back then (due to a higher proportion of younger people being hospitalized as well as having more knowledge about how to treat now) but unfortunately we are probably just going to rip off 1000+ deaths a day for the foreseeable future, except on the weekend/lag days.

Well, my girlfriend’s results came in positive earlier tonight. She’s a nurse and gets tested every week on Tuesday.

I've been with her every night and intimately as you can imagine.

Currently, I’m showing no symptoms. She threw up today. We drank wine and sangria last night. 

Will continue a log here. 

- So far, it’s been a week. I’m ok, and she’s ok so far. 

- I always had a fair view about this situation. But had and still have no problems wearing a mask and being careful wherever I go. I know now 6 people who had it. ...2 of those were fighting it off for a week or 2. ...The rest barely noticeable if any. (My girlfriend being the 6th so far. Me the 7th but I don’t know yet)

- I didn’t get tested yet. I just hope I didn’t spread it to others if I have it. Especially my parents. But I’ve been with my girlfriend intimately these past couple days obviously. I should have it. Don’t know yet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1