• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

I lost my biological grandmother at 32 years of age in Pittsburgh in Oct. 1918 to that flu pandemic.  As I mentioned pages earlier in this thread John Barry's book  "The Great Influenza" is a sobering read with many parallels to what is happening today politically wrt how the disease is being handled or mishandled by authorities.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I may have missed it if there was a discussion about weather influences on the West coast, but highs in the 70's wouldn't necessarily drive people indoors in LA more than usual. Just pandemic fatigue?

What's the climate like in Cali with regards to RH%  That seems to be what's increasing case load

• Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

What's the climate like in Cali with regards to RH%  That seems to be what's increasing case load

Pretty windy and dry.

URGENT - FIRE WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Los Angeles/Oxnard CA
129 PM PST Sun Dec 6 2020

...RED FLAG WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM MONDAY THROUGH 10 PM
TUESDAY FOR MUCH OF LOS ANGELES AND VENTURA COUNTIES DUE TO GUSTY
NORTHEAST WINDS AND LOW RELATIVE HUMIDITY...

...RED FLAG WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM MONDAY THROUGH NOON
TUESDAY FOR THE SANTA BARBARA AND SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTY
MOUNTAINS, FOOTHILLS, AND COASTAL AREAS AND SANTA YNEZ VALLEY DUE
TO GUSTY NORTHEAST TO EAST WINDS AND LOW RELATIVE HUMIDITY...

.Another Santa Ana wind event is expected to begin late tonight
night and continue through Tuesday evening. The Santa Ana winds
are expected to peak in strength and coverage Monday afternoon
through Tuesday morning when wind gusts of 40 to 55 mph will be
likely for the wind favored coastal and valley areas of Los
Angeles and Ventura counties, while damaging gusts of 55 to
70 mph will be possible for the mountains (including the Santa
Monicas). Also of note with this upcoming event is the upper
level wind support likely bringing unusually strong northeast to
east winds across portions of Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo
counties, especially in the mountains and foothills, where wind
gusts of 45 to 60 mph will be likely from Monday afternoon
through Tuesday morning. While humidities are expected to rise
slightly Monday morning, a drying trend is expected Monday
afternoon through Tuesday when humidities in the teens and single
digits will likely be common. Widespread critical fire weather
conditions combined with extremely dry fuels has resulted in Red
Flag Warnings for all four counties with this event.

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Hopefully the vaccines are rolled out and prioritized the right way.  We all remember how pro athletes and other well-connected people had better access to testing early on.  Would be even more infuriating if they get to cut in line to get vaccinated.

What does your heart tell you?

19 minutes ago, WaryWarren said:

What does your heart tell you?

Oh I know how it's probably gonna go down.  

On some level I do understand the concept of having a high profile person getting vaccinated as a play for the greater good, even though it may be better off going to someone else (say if LeBron James were to get vaccinated on camera).  I hope we don't see like the entire NBA getting it in January though.

8 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Record hospitalizations again today 

20201206_202424.jpg

At Mass. General, for example, about 30 percent of COVID patients are at the hospital primarily for some other reason — but also happen to test positive for COVID. They are mostly asymptomatic.

• Weenie 1

39 minutes ago, South Shore Slop said:

At Mass. General, for example, about 30 percent of COVID patients are at the hospital primarily for some other reason — but also happen to test positive for COVID. They are mostly asymptomatic.

That's how my fiance and I found out we had it. It didn't really hit her until the next week.

1 hour ago, South Shore Slop said:

Obviously some people will run with this and say the hospitals are fine everywhere and numbers are inflated, etc. ignoring data like dropping available ICU capacity in many states. Also in Mass. in past week Covid ICU is +25% and ventilator use is +26%.

While this may indeed cause some inflation of the reported hospital numbers, in reality it is something that is also a marker of increasing community spread ongoing, assuming the criteria for reporting hospitalizations hasn't really changed. The more spread you have the more people getting screened for it while in the hospital for something else will test positive.This would been in line with other metric in the state confirming a spike, like cases, positivity, and wastewater bio data and would be expected IMHO.

https://coronavirus-response-burlingtonvt.hub.arcgis.com/pages/wastewater-monitoring

Wastewater in Burlington VT shows a spike in virus levels following Thanksgiving (and VT has very low transmission rates).  Monitoring in Metro Boston shows a similar spike (or worse spike in this case). The wastewater data from the Ohio available from their dashboard is unfortunately too delayed to show anything yet.

6 hours ago, South Shore Slop said:

If they don't have symptoms of anything, why are they checking into a hospital?  People generally don't want to spend the night at a hospital unless they're not feeling well.  Perhaps Covid is causing their symptoms or exacerbating them

17 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

If they don't have symptoms of anything, why are they checking into a hospital?  People generally don't want to spend the night at a hospital unless they're not feeling well.  Perhaps Covid is causing their symptoms or exacerbating them

They were in the hospital for an unrelated related reason, but got testing upon admission most likely.

1 hour ago, dan11295 said:

They were in the hospital for an unrelated related reason, but got testing upon admission most likely.

so if they checked into the hospital for blood clots, but they tested positive for Covid upon admission, how do they know Covid didn't cause (or exacerbate) the blood clots?

Or if someone with COPD checks into the hospital for shortness of breath, but test positive for Covid upon admission, how do they know Covid wasn't exacerbating their pre-existing lung issues?

That's why I don't understand how 30% of Covid hospitalizations are "asymptomatic".  They're obviously symptomatic of something -- otherwise they wouldn't be in the hospital.  How do they know their symptoms aren't being caused/exacerbated by Covid given that they tested positive?