Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

8 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

OVER 100K HOSPITALIZATIONS. I don't even want to think about what the numbers are going to be in two weeks 

I suspect in many locations practical capacity limits are being approached, regardless of how many open beds a state says it has on a dashboard. You can open overflow facilities but without adequately trained staff they are limited in usefulness. Already reading reports about patients who might normally be hospitalized being sent home with oxygen and a pulse oximeter if their oxygen saturation level isn't too low.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

So, Canada's Thanksgiving was on October 12, which I marked on the worldometers chart below.  Cases were already rising there at that time but exploded after that.  How much of it is seasonality and other factors besides Thanksgiving is hard to say.

Screenshot_20201202-174838.thumb.png.1aa1f78af6d68269c1b0e5bd694793b2.png

I'd bet Thanksgiving had a lot to do with it. Most people I know, my family included, canceled and remained home. But a lot of people flaunted the recommendations and went ahead with multi-household gatherings. Cases started exploding a week or two later.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, on_wx said:

I'd bet Thanksgiving had a lot to do with it. Most people I know, my family included, canceled and remained home. But a lot of people flaunted the recommendations and went ahead with multi-household gatherings. Cases started exploding a week or two later.

The slope of the line looks pretty similar before and after October 12th so I'm not really sure theres a lot there. As you know Canadian Thanksgiving seems to pale greatly in cultural importance than American Thanksgiving. 

6 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

The slope of the line looks pretty similar before and after October 12th so I'm not really sure theres a lot there. As you know Canadian Thanksgiving seems to pale greatly in cultural importance than American Thanksgiving. 

Knowing plenty of Canadians, this is incorrect.

49 minutes ago, on_wx said:

Yeah I have to imagine it had a contributing factor especially in places like Ontario with so many people there.

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

As do I...I just dont get that mpression from the folks here. Like I'm not sure the cross country travel is nearly as common. 

It may not be, I do say it is quite huge in Ontario though, and even if there isn't cross country travel there still is travel.

It’s really hitting the fan in Wisconsin and the Republican legislature wants to pass legislation to absolve all businesses and schools of liability for COVID along with forcing all schools to be in person by end of January full time no matter what!

Should just close all schools until next Fall. These K-12 kids are getting a very substandard 5 quarters of education and it aids transmission.

The hell are we going to see in the Fall of 2021 once vaccination levels are high? Too many kids are going to be behind and unprepared for college. Plus could save money if you furlough all the teachers at a reduced salary.

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

It may not be, I do say it is quite huge in Ontario though, and even if there isn't cross country travel there still is travel.

Thanksgiving in Canada is not as big a deal as it is in the US, but people still generally spend the long weekend with close family and often travel. My observation is that in the US Thanksgiving and Christmas are on-par, while in Canada Christmas easily takes the cake as the bigger celebration.

I think we had somewhat of a bump from Thanksgiving, but there were also other factors that were also contributing to increasing caseload (weather, schools back in, general COVID fatigue etc.).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, harrisale said:

Thanksgiving in Canada is not as big a deal as it is in the US, but people still generally spend the long weekend with close family and often travel. My observation is that in the US Thanksgiving and Christmas are on-par, while in Canada Christmas easily takes the cake as the bigger celebration.

I think we had somewhat of a bump from Thanksgiving, but there were also other factors that were also contributing to increasing caseload (weather, schools back in, general COVID fatigue etc.).

Ya, I agree with this. Thanksgiving and Easter here are on par where its normally close family dinners (10-15 people ect..) whereas Christmas is when my friends and family fly "home" to Toronto from Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton, Halifax ect.. and its the typical US thanksgiving feel where we see distant family, head to a bar to catch up with old friends ect.. 

Thanksgiving though is pretty engrained in Ontario (cant speak for other provinces) where there's town fall fairs, closing up the cottage, family time. 

That all said Christmas for Canada is going to be a mess I think. Most of my friends didn't even really comment on US thanksgiving being crazy as they themselves have already booked tickets home for Christmas and some in Ontario have booked ski trips out to Alberta ect.. Lots of travel I think is going to happen in Canada. 

The local mayor tried to put some teeth into Governor Holcomb's mask mandate last week by announcing that at the officer's discretion, a $25 ordinance violation fine will be levied and escalating for repeat offenses. Of course, a protest is being planned for this Saturday, with at least one of the planners being a local businessman.

I considered going into his restaurant with a mask but no shoes or shirt just to see if I get a reaction. Unfortunately, it probably wouldn't phase him, although it would make a point.

In the meantime, my father-in-law just tested positive. I'm sure glad that my wife and I refused to go to her family's Thanksgiving get together.

• Like 4