Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

2 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

Why not 60% or 75%?  Pure speculation at best. Give some reasoning please. 

It is confusing. That study stated we had 5-8X the number of infections unreported back in September. Then they thought upwards of 53 million may have been exposed based on confirmed cases of around 8 million. Now with confirmed numbers around 13.6 million and 4 million in November alone you could argue a much larger percentage of people have already had it.

5 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

Interesting thread suggesting that proportion of hospitalizations to cases has been falling over the past few months suggesting stricter admission criteria as hospitals fill up. 

It makes sense that this would be happening in areas that are getting into a dire situation, and there are quite a few states that fall into that category.  The risk with doing that of course is that if you send somebody away and then they worsen and have to come back to the hospital, it might be too late to do much for them.  

No real surprise that the CDC panel is recommending that health care workers and nursing home residents ought to get the vaccine first.

There's a school of thought that if the vaccine is as effective as claimed, maybe you could just vaccinate the nursing home employees and hold off on vaccinating nursing home residents and save those early doses for other essential workers and elderly people who live outside of nursing homes.  Makes some sense, but assuming the recommendations are followed, that's not how it will go.

28 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

No real surprise that the CDC panel is recommending that health care workers and nursing home residents ought to get the vaccine first.

There's a school of thought that if the vaccine is as effective as claimed, maybe you could just vaccinate the nursing home employees and hold off on vaccinating nursing home residents and save those early doses for other essential workers and elderly people who live outside of nursing homes.  Makes some sense, but assuming the recommendations are followed, that's not how it will go.

Obviously they are trying to target the source of a large % of current mortality. I agree that the employees should be vaccinated early as well. But I guess you cannot consider allowing visitation again in the near term without the residents vaccinated. I wonder how long it will take for vaccinating to begin cutting into infections/mortality numbers. Am guessing with a focus on nursing homes you can begin to really cut into the infection numbers there by sometime in early/mid January. That would put early February for when you would be noticeably cutting into mortality. I suspect that we will be over the crest of the current infection wave by that point, so that will help accelerate the decline in numbers there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Obviously they are trying to target the source of a large % of current mortality. I agree that the employees should be vaccinated early as well. But I guess you cannot consider allowing visitation again in the near term without the residents vaccinated. I wonder how long it will take for vaccinating to begin cutting into infections/mortality numbers. Am guessing with a focus on nursing homes you can begin to really cut into the infection numbers there by sometime in early/mid January. That would put early February for when you would be noticeably cutting into mortality. I suspect that we will be over the crest of the current infection wave by that point, so that will help accelerate the decline in numbers there.

The thought is that if the nursing home employees are vaccinated, and if being vaccinated means you can't trsnsmit the virus, then you just about cut off the virus from nursing homes without having to vaccinate the nursing home residents (as long as visitation isn't allowed).  That being said, I'm not sure if we definitively know the answer about a vaccinated person not being able to carry covid-19 and pass it on.  Is it just an assumption?

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/rankings-and-ratings/states-ranked-by-hospital-beds-per-1-000-population.html

Hospital beds per capita. Would help explain why the Dakotas were not completely overwhelmed despite their very high per capita numbers. Although Wisconsin is very low on this list, lowest numbers on this list are generally western and southwestern states. 

29 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/rankings-and-ratings/states-ranked-by-hospital-beds-per-1-000-population.html

Hospital beds per capita. Would help explain why the Dakotas were not completely overwhelmed despite their very high per capita numbers. Although Wisconsin is very low on this list, lowest numbers on this list are generally western and southwestern states. 

I think the choke point is intensive care and not regular hospital beds. 

https://www.aha.org/statistics/fast-facts-us-hospitals

Screenshot_20201202-101824_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 2

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2020/05/18/icu-bed-capacity-in-all-50-us-states-compared-infographic/?sh=6218b7cd24dc

Here is an ICU bed per capita ranking.

From the link above there are normally ~105k ICU beds in the US. There are currently ~19k COVID patients in ICU beds. Of course hospitals have been converting beds, etc. as much as space (and staffing) allows. But it gives you a sense of the stress on the hospital system when almost 20% of your normal ICU capacity is COVID.

• Like 1

We have literal war zone time going on at local hospitals and nursing homes here. Really really hoping something changes because we are approaching territory of every bed being full, icus already full and attempting to expand. These aren’t the big metro hospitals, these are the rural ones just trying to get by.

• Sad 2