• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

In the past 8 months, I have learned and been reminded about winterwx21's health and fitness more than I ever thought was possible.

On the heart rate thing... you don't have to be an elite level athlete to have a resting rate in the low/mid 40s.  I know, because I do, and I'm nowhere near an elite level athlete.  I lift quite often and do modest amounts of plain cardio, but almost never run.  I am very cognizant of magnesium intake (which is something that many are deficient in) and that may be a factor in the low resting heart rate.

20 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

In the past 8 months, I have learned and been reminded about winterwx21's health and fitness more than I ever thought was possible.

On the heart rate thing... you don't have to be an elite level athlete to have a resting rate in the low/mid 40s.  I know, because I do, and I'm nowhere near an elite level athlete.  I lift quite often and do modest amounts of plain cardio, but almost never run.  I am very cognizant of magnesium intake (which is something that many are deficient in) and that may be a factor in the low resting heart rate.

I haven't talked about health on here in several months. I know we talked about it some in another Coronavirus thread back in the Spring. Obviously health is extra important during a pandemic.

I completely agree about magnesium! That's the one supplement I take. In general I am not a believer in supplements, believing it's much more important to get nutrients from food. But magnesium is so critical to heart and artery health, so I do take that.

"Based on what we’ve seen over the last eight months of state-reported COVID-19 data, we think two big, potentially misleading things are about to happen to the testing, case, and death numbers that allow us to track the pandemic in the United States

First, by Thanksgiving Day and perhaps as early as Wednesday, all three metrics will flatten out or drop, probably for several days. This decrease will make it look like things are getting better at the national level. Then, in the week following the holiday, our test, case, and death numbers will spike, which will look like a confirmation that Thanksgiving is causing outbreaks to worsen. But neither of these expected movements in the data will necessarily mean anything about the state of the pandemic itself. Holidays, like weekends, cause testing and reporting to go down and then, a few days later, to "catch up." So the data we see early next week will reflect not only actual increases in cases, test, and deaths, but also the potentially very large backlog from the holiday. "

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

36? That literally is not believable.

I was a collegiate Marathon Runner back in the day and my sports Doc did a double take after he measured mine in the mid to upper 40's per minute.  I remember him saying that was pretty rare.  Never heard of it in the 30's, unless maybe you're being frozen in Carbonite by the Mandalorian??

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

"Based on what we’ve seen over the last eight months of state-reported COVID-19 data, we think two big, potentially misleading things are about to happen to the testing, case, and death numbers that allow us to track the pandemic in the United States

First, by Thanksgiving Day and perhaps as early as Wednesday, all three metrics will flatten out or drop, probably for several days. This decrease will make it look like things are getting better at the national level. Then, in the week following the holiday, our test, case, and death numbers will spike, which will look like a confirmation that Thanksgiving is causing outbreaks to worsen. But neither of these expected movements in the data will necessarily mean anything about the state of the pandemic itself. Holidays, like weekends, cause testing and reporting to go down and then, a few days later, to "catch up." So the data we see early next week will reflect not only actual increases in cases, test, and deaths, but also the potentially very large backlog from the holiday. "

I'd imagine we wouldn't see Thanksgiving effects until a couple weeks into December, right?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

I was a collegiate Marathon Runner back in the day and my sports Doc did a double take after he measured mine in the mid to upper 40's per minute.  I remember him saying that was pretty rare.  Never heard of it in the 30's, unless maybe you're being frozen in Carbonite by the Mandalorian??

That's complete opposite of what my cardiologist told me when I went in with the concern that my resting heart rate of 50 (before I started running) was too low. He told me some elite runners have resting heart rates in the 30s and I could possibly do that too. It's far from unheard of. Just do a little research on low resting heart rates for elite athletes. There have been a few that have actually had resting heart rates in the high 20s.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MacChump said:

Just catching up...so, 36...not bad!

now I just need you to answer whether that is elite athlete level...

It is, but there are plenty of elite athletes that have resting heart rates in the 40s and 50s. It doesn't have to be that low to be an elite athlete.

Some people seem shocked and have a hard time believing a resting heart rate in the 30s. All you have to do is a quick google search and you see plenty of medical sources that talk about it. Take a look at healthline.com and right away it says some athletes have resting heart rates in the 30 to 40 range. I guess some people have a hard time believing it because average people are in the 70s. But it's not unusual at all for athletes to be in the 40s or 30s.

Anyway I want to give a specific example of how exercise can help with Covid. Exercise produces an antioxidant called EcSOD, which has been shown to protect against acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). ARDS happens in the majority of Covid ICU patients, and is the cause of death in many of them. Zhen Yan, professor of cardiovascular medicine who runs a molecular exercise physiology lab at University of Virginia School of Medicine, did a major study on this. He says even a single exercise session can produce EcSOD, which fights this syndrome that kills so many Covid patients. So he believes that exercise should be added to things like mask wearing and social distancing as recommended things that can help with the pandemic.

And just overall, exercise helps strengthen the immune system and improves lung health. Here is a quote from emergency medicine physician Dr. Jebidiah Ballard, when asked if exercise can help with Covid outcomes...

"Would it improve their chances if they got Covid-19? Not in a day or week, but if they can improve their overall health over weeks, then very likely," she said.

There are people on this board that obviously don't want to believe this stuff and even get irritated or take offense, but this is medical science that medical experts back up. Exercise and getting into better shape DOES reduce the risk of bad outcomes with Covid and can be done in a matter of just weeks as experts have pointed out, and I believe it's important to get this information out there. I'm sorry to the people that got offended by it, although I don't see reason why anyone should be offended. It's just about trying to help people during a horrific pandemic, and worth it if only a small amount of people beat Covid because they got into better shape. But if some people prefer to just isolate to avoid getting the virus until there is a vaccine, that certainly is a good approach too. I'm not going to go on and on about this any longer, as I've provided enough info. I wish everyone safety and good health as we try to get through the last several months of the pandemic. Take care.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

I haven't talked about health on here in several months. I know we talked about it some in another Coronavirus thread back in the Spring. Obviously health is extra important during a pandemic.

I completely agree about magnesium! That's the one supplement I take. In general I am not a believer in supplements, believing it's much more important to get nutrients from food. But magnesium is so critical to heart and artery health, so I do take that.

+1 for the magnesium.  

22 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Illinois came in with over 11,000 today, you wonder if the weather turning colder again ~2 weeks ago was a factor.

If we are already roughly plateauing on cases in the Midwest, then it would strongly point to the idea that the 7+ day stretch of warmer weather at the beginning of the month was the main culprit in causing the temporary drop.  

As has been pointed out, numbers in the coming days are bound to look a bit screwy due to the holiday and will need some more time to evaluate.  Then, it won't be until we get at least a third to halfway through December until we start to see any ramifications from Thanksgiving gatherings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

If we are already roughly plateauing on cases in the Midwest, then it would strongly point to the idea that the 7+ day stretch of warmer weather at the beginning of the month was the main culprit in causing the temporary drop.  

As has been pointed out, numbers in the coming days are bound to look a bit screwy due to the holiday and will need some more time to evaluate.  Then, it won't be until we get at least a third to halfway through December until we start to see any ramifications from Thanksgiving gatherings.

Yea a short term evaluation of potential weather impacts on case trajectory will be difficult with Thanksgiving tomorrow. Cases from gatherings wont show until 2nd week of December,

7 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

We are clearly back to spring level deaths

Yes.  An individual person going into the hospital with covid now is more likely to survive compared to spring, but progress in knowledge and treatments is negated when the number of hospitalized becomes so huge.  Deaths will only get worse.  It is basically baked in that we will start seeing 3000+ deaths on some days by the middle of December.   

• Sad 2