Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

2 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

That combo is also insanely common in Americans over 50. What country do you all think you live in. Your average fat ass middle age American has like 23 pre-existing conditions.

Lmfao!  How many commercials do we have to see and say "hey I got that" lol.  RLS?  Toe fungus?  100 different ways to be depressed and medicated?  Malvina had it right a long time ago the year I was born lol....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUoXtddNPAM

• Like 1

New map of confirmed cases from Indiana's virus page

5e77775aa7d41.image.png.77e4cb60523ba76468ff0afae55e3020.png

Obviously there is undercounting because of testing issues.  It is no surprise that Marion county/Indianapolis leads the state, but another thing that stands out are the very low numbers in the donut counties around there.   A lot of people commute into Indianapolis from those counties, though less now than a couple weeks ago with many companies putting emphasis on working from home.

57 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Good news in Italy is that deaths were down from yesterday.  Bad news it was still well over 600.

It’s absolutely horrifying what is going on in Italy. New York City is having a horrible day today as well. Anyone who thinks we wake up tomorrow and poof this is gone is delusional. The fact of the matter is, this is going to continue spread violently, and unfortunately result in many many more fatalities. 

14 minutes ago, Chambana said:

It’s absolutely horrifying what is going on in Italy. New York City is having a horrible day today as well. Anyone who thinks we wake up tomorrow and poof this is gone is delusional. The fact of the matter is, this is going to continue spread violently, and unfortunately result in many many more fatalities. 

I just don't see this being as bad as the 2009 pandemic. Over 12,000 Americans died in that one.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

I just don't see this being as bad as the 2009 pandemic. Over 12,000 Americans died in that one.

If it isn't worse than 2009 then it will be because of the measures being taken. 61,000,000 infections on 2009. A conservative estimate of that many infections with this virus would result in 610,000 deaths.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, hoosierwx said:

If it isn't worse than 2009 then it will be because of the measures being taken. 61,000,000 infections on 2009. A conservative estimate of that many infections with this virus would result in 610,000 deaths.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The swine flu deaths took like a year or more to get to the 12,000+ number, iirc.  We'll see where we are with covid19 in early to mid 2021.  Hopefully it will be a lower death toll in the US... if it is, it will be because of the current measures and some very effective/widely available/low cost treatment option.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The swine flu deaths took like a year or more to get to the 12,000+ number, iirc.  We'll see where we are with covid19 in early to mid 2021.  Hopefully it will be a lower death toll in the US... if it is, it will be because of the current measures and some very effective/widely available/low cost treatment option.  

this :clap:

The increasing positive test numbers should not be a cause to panic, rather it's a reflection of increased testing. Something we were (and probably still are) woefully behind in doing. What will be critical is the numbers of those positive tests that are needing hospitalization, ICU admittance, and unfortunately deaths. Hopefully the measures we are now taking (again, much later than we needed to be) give the healthcare system help in treating those in need of critical care.

To those in the factories supplying goods, delivering goods, grocery workers, medical personnel, essentially all "essential" workers...be well and stay safe as you can. I know it's been 6 days a week, 50-60 hours a week for us at my office for awhile. Tiring for sure, but we forge on. 

And lastly, just wanted to say I hope people are taking mental breaks from this. Just reading the thread in the SNE forum, you can read the panic and terror from some. I think part of it is the unknown, but also part of those that live and die with each report that comes out. Not healthy. Along with the unfortunate loss of life and economic demise this will cause, I'm worried many will have a PTSD type reaction to all of this. Hope those that need help, will seek help.

Be well fellow weather peeps. And hope for the best. :)  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

The increasing positive test numbers should not be a cause to panic, rather it's a reflection of increased testing. Something we were (and probably still are) woefully behind in doing. What will be critical is the numbers of those positive tests that are needing hospitalization, ICU admittance, and unfortunately deaths. Hopefully the measures we are now taking (again, much later than we needed to be) give the healthcare system help in treating those in need of critical care.

To those in the factories supplying goods, delivering goods, grocery workers, medical personnel, essentially all "essential" workers...be well and stay safe as you can. I know it's been 6 days a week, 50-60 hours a week for us at my office for awhile. Tiring for sure, but we forge on. 

And lastly, just wanted to say I hope people are taking mental breaks from this. Just reading the thread in the SNE forum, you can read the panic and terror from some. I think part of it is the unknown, but also part of those that live and die with each report that comes out. Not healthy. Along with the unfortunate loss of life and economic demise this will cause, I'm worried many will have a PTSD type reaction to all of this. Hope those that need help, will seek help.

Be well fellow weather peeps. And hope for the best. :)  

Well said.  And yeah, increased depression, suicides, child abuse, the economics, etc are the negative consequences of shutting so much down, especially if it goes on for a while.  It is a tough spot for decision makers to be in. 

• Like 1

We're all gonna get it eventually.  We know these precautions are just to keep the medical infrastructure from being overwhelmed.  My issue is that the richest country in the world isn't prepared to treat .02%, yes POINT zero two percent, of its population in a trauma ICU situation. .02%, thats just nuts.

• Like 1

Also, I'm not gonna go into the reaction here in Mayberry but it's ridiculous.  Focus has been on the big metro centers but there are a gazzilion Mayberry's across this country.  Nothing is more corrupt than Mayberry politics and this thing is just now starting to hit the Mayberry's of this country.  7-14 days shits gonna start hitting the proverbial fan, especially in the Mayberry's.  The current reaction is just not sustainable, especially in Mayberry. :cry:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Also, I'm not gonna go into the reaction here in Mayberry but it's ridiculous.  Focus has been on the big metro centers but there are a gazzilion Mayberry's across this country.  Nothing is more corrupt than Mayberry politics and this thing is just now starting to hit the Mayberry's of this country.  7-14 days shits gonna start hitting the proverbial fan, especially in the Mayberry's.  The current reaction is just not sustainable, especially in Mayberry. :cry:

New record for Mayberry in a post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Although testing is a bit better than it was early on, there is no question we are still in serious catch up mode in this country, with some states lagging behind more than others.  In some instances, the only reported case in a county is of someone who died.  Very unlikely.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Although testing is a bit better than it was early on, there is no question we are still in serious catch up mode in this country, with some states lagging behind more than others.  In some instances, the only reported case in a county is of someone who died.  Very unlikely.

I think it’s fair to assume that if a county has a case severe enough to have been tested, it’s likely widespread with many not symptomatic enough to seek treatment. I am not certain that my recent short illness wasn’t the virus, as the symptoms matched but I was not ill enough to seek treatment other than isolation. If I did indeed have the virus, we will never know with certainty, which is the case for many infections nationwide 

• Like 1

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/22/world/coronavirus-spread.html

Excellent and chilling data driven account of the rapid spread of the virus. Also, vividly demonstrates the blame the Chinese Communist government deserves for this global calamity. 7 weeks passed from the initial signs of community spread in Wuhan until they locked down Wuhan and the Hubei province. In that time an estimated 7 million people left the Wuhan area.

Had the Chinese Govt sought to help its people and by extension the rest of the world instead of covering up the virus and threatening doctors sounding the alarm with jail, thousands of lives could have been saved and trillions of dollars of wealth not destroyed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1