• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
March Medium/Long Range Disco

CAPE

NWS 4am discussion. The high to our north will migrate eastward over the Northeast Sunday night as zonal flow aloft deteriorates and a shortwave trough digs into the Ohio Valley. Come Monday morning, surface low pressure will develop near the North Carolina coast, tracking north northeast throughout the day. The resultant weather locally will be precipitation breaking out overnight Sunday and lingering through much of the day on Monday. With the high to our northeast helping to supply chilly conditions, wintry precip concerns emerge for our Blue Ridge westward zones late Sunday night and into the day on Monday. Ensemble guidance continues to indicate the potential for accumulating snowfall across portions of northern and western Maryland, eastern West Virginia, and western Virginia. Will iron out the finer details in the coming days, but model consistency does bring confidence in at least a slight winter storm threat for accumulating snowfall in the areas noted above.

45 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Guidance overall is bleeding warmer each run. It’s been offset for now by a stronger system dynamically cooling the column (for the nw areas) but if the north trend continues the end won’t be good. 

The problem seems to be that the sfc high to our northeast is moving out faster than was being shown, leading to the sfc winds shifting from north in the morning to southeast by the end of the day.      In the NAM and GFS, that allows the sfc dew points, which start the day in the low teens, to recover to the low 30's by evening.    That certainly won't get the job done.    If we can somehow hold in northeast sfc winds for more of the day, we'll be able to keep the drier air in place and potentially reap some wet bulb benefits when the precip arrives.

18 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

An earlier onset probably wouldn't hurt either .

The 12z icon shows what I’m talking about. Stronger system. Faster onset. Better thump of precip. But all rain. The north shift of the entire thermal gradient finally overcame what the benefits from those other factors can compensate for. If I had to bet that’s where this is heading. 

• Weenie 1

19 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Been telling you guys since early in the winter, the euro is only wrong when it shows snow

Being on the southern fringes of projected snowfall at day 3-5 absent blocking is never ever where you want to be. I could run off a long list of similar setups where even the euro was too far south at 72-100 hours with the southern edge of snow. We were never where I wanted to see guidance even on the best runs. The trend north happened exactly how/when I expected. 

Setups matter. North trends don’t happen if a storm is de amplifying. And that doesn’t always mean arctic cold. A storm can shear out or be suppressed by a compressed flow.  A north trend doesn’t happen if there is strong blocking or a northern stream feature that’s compressing the flow over top. 

But in a progressive pattern with an amplifying system a north trend the final 72 hours is still a good bet. 

• Weenie 2

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Haven't been able to look to deeply into this threat but latest Eps still gives areas near the m/d line some hope of at least a coating and possibly a couple inches.:weenie:  Verbatim this run a bit better then 18z and similar to yesterday's 12z . The bleeding that others have mentioned has halted for now but any further north at all and it's a cold rain for all. As is it's a cold rain for i95 for sure .

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-ma-total_snow_10to1-5008000.png

I'll hug the CMC for now :weenie:

gem_asnow_neus_20.png

Cmc actually holds the high position over NE the longest compared to Gfs and Euro.  Doesn't give too  much of a warm fuzzy feeling :yikes:

I admire your ability to be excited by the prospects of a relatively insignificant frozen event. I should be clear I am commenting on our chances at a meaningful snowfall. I could still see our area get a slushy inch or two before being washed away by rain...but if that happens and PA gets 6”+ to me that will be just one more knife in the back from this winter.  At this point if we’re not going to get an actual legit storm I’d rather it be warm out and I saw and still see our chances of getting more than a minor accumulation washed away by rain as extremely low.  Not impossible but unlikely. But please don’t let my lack of interest ruin your enjoyment of a minor frozen event.  

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

The bleeding that others have mentioned has halted for now but any further north at all and it's a cold rain for all. As is it's a cold rain for i95 for sure .

In my opinion the stellar correlation to the AO, which has held positive since December 22, 2019 was, and is a great forecast tool. The AO is still heading higher in the short term. Never a chance for any snow despite the earlier modeling. 

Even low temps that might have broken freezing this weekend are in the mid 30's for my region.    

6Z EURO WB trended a little cooler at the surface Monday am, but still above freezing so maybe it makes no difference....not much on the ground.  Snow in the air would lighten my mood.  Another casual observation.  EURO was the last to show the NC accumulations in the event last month if I recall correctly.

ecmwf-deterministic-ma-instant_ptype-4975600.png

ecmwf-deterministic-ma-t2m_f-4964800.png

ecmwf-deterministic-ma-total_snow_kuchera-4997200.png

• H2O unpinned this topic