Total Members
    Most Online
    LostInSomers
    Newest Member
    LostInSomers
Dr. Dews

March 2020 disc/obs

5 hours ago, Hazey said:

This winter was better the farther northeast you were. Cape Breton and eastern Newfoundland are having a banner winter(well above). I will be lucky to crawl my way to average or slightly below. NNE will be sub par except extreme northern areas. Obviously you guys in SNE have had it really bad. The most annoying thing for me this winter is how many teases we had. Like having the ball ripped away time after time. Just a barrage of close but no cigar misses. Just makes a crappy winter worse in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

Sounds about right.  CAR is 115% YTD snow and I'm closer to 80%.  They've had several events 12"+ including one 18" and tops here is 7.  Not awful, just meh-minus.

If we end up notably subpar on snowfall for the season here, it will really have to be due to March and April coming in lean.  We’re currently at 96.2% of average, and that’s after a lull in snowfall the past several days.  As the seasonal snowfall plot shows below, we’ve been skirting either side of that mean cumulative snowfall line pretty well, probably too well to call it far off from average at this point.  I think the local mountains might be a bit more behind their averages than we are down here, but maybe PF can speak to that.  We’ve still got several weeks of potential snowfall to go up here in NNE – on average we’d expected almost 40 inches of additional snow at our site here in the valley, and of course much more at elevation.  We’ll have to see how these upcoming weeks play out, but we’re already within 1 S.D. of the mean on total season snowfall, so we can’t end up farther below average than that.  We should be adding a bit with this next storm because we’ve got some decent snow falling right now with that novel northeast flow that PF mentioned above.

06MAR20A.jpg

53 minutes ago, Albert A Clipper said:

Yeah, numerous resorts closed trails today based on conditions described as “ not edge-able” ..or frozen granular pack...

Crusty spring snow.  The time of year when if it won’t snow, the best surface conditions are above freezing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert A Clipper said:

Yeah, numerous resorts closed trails today based on conditions described as “ not edge-able” ..or frozen granular pack...

Wachusett was like that on Saturday evening.  Hate that stuff

33 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Wachusett was like that on Saturday evening.  Hate that stuff

We need any covering we can get.  But milder afternoon temperatures soften things up it seems. It's snowing pretty well here this evening.  Everything has whitened.  Surprisingly good snow growth.

BTV with 1/2sm moderate snow in this wave of moisture.

March_6_2020b.gif.1e404abbecb14042c3d9aaf8f7bc5d84.gif

4 hours ago, Hazey said:

49da71bbc6d9b04b2a90ba12d3099583.jpg
That’s where I stand. Several nickel and dime events but just missed several biggies by a few miles that nailed eastern NS and then went on to visit Nick.

Cool. I actually didn't realize yhz had done that well. I know warmer temps and a lack of snow cover have mitigated the winter feel for much of the Maritimes.  

It appears that March 11/12th in five days is our next real threat at something decent.  We got a healthy shortwave that appears to be going through a neutral to negative tilt as it swings through.  Models are a little weak with the system, I just find it to be our next threat.  I was really wrong about this superstorm, I seemed to only have gotten 1.5" of snow.

6 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

Looks like about 2" of fluff out there to freshen up my mehriffic 12-24" (18" average) pack. 

Classic humble brag right here.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That was the first and last morning run in daylight until late Mayorch. DST FTL

Yeah it blows....way too early. I’ll be back to driving into work in the dark. Make it the first Sunday in April.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah it blows....way too early. I’ll be back to driving into work in the dark. Make it the first Sunday in April.

I agree but we're trying to save the planet and all...;)

Having said that, I'd rather just be on standard time.  I know most people prefer the savings time.  I like having the light in the morning and don't really need it in the evening.  Even on standard time there's plenty of light well in the evening in the summer when it counts.  It makes it harder only doing it 4-5 months out of the year.  But someone thought we could save a few dollars if we shortened it up...argh.

Amazing how spring is asserting itself down here already. My yard is full of crocuses and snowdrops; my daffodils are already up and budding; I've noticed some forsythia blooming and several maples around Yale with red buds. If we get a warm month, it'll be an early leaf-out for sure. Bring it, say I.

4 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Amazing how spring is asserting itself down here already. My yard is full of crocuses and snowdrops; my daffodils are already up and budding; I've noticed some forsythia blooming and several maples around Yale with red buds. If we get a warm month, it'll be an early leaf-out for sure. Bring it, say I.

Someone posted that last week about forsythia blooming by this weekend 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I enjoy the light in the evening, but hate how it delays models. 

I was talking to my coworker last night at a team dinner about permanent dst. I dont think I could deal with the 00z models being so late from a forecast production standpoint. 

7 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I was talking to my coworker last night at a team dinner about permanent dst. I dont think I could deal with the 00z models being so late from a forecast production standpoint. 

Yeah is there a way to get daylight but keep models on Standard Time? :lol: 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Someone posted that last week about forsythia blooming by this weekend 

Not around here.  Not even close.  I wouldn't take a forsythia blooming in an urban center along the coast as a sign that they are ready to bloom here.  I looked at mine the other day and there's no sign of anything.

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Lots of signs things are proceeding nicely. Plants coming up, buds swelling etc. 

Wow the coast is way ahead. Haven't even had a crocus pop up here. 

• Like 1

So what's April look like? Early modeling has ridge over south central states with toughing here. Hopefully not

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Wow the coast is way ahead. Haven't even had a crocus pop up here. 

It’s there. I see it at work too.