Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2020 disc/obs

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I enjoy the light in the evening, but hate how it delays models. 

the thought had occurred but then ... is it really gonna matter this time ? Might be a better therapy for all who regular this distraction if they didn't get to see the models at all for the next 6 months, too - ha

20 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Monday afternoon / evening will be great. 
grillin and chillin.  Warm temps and late sunlight.  

I would like a snowstorm but will enjoy a nice day

Know what's personally musing about that ?

About a week ago, I mentioned in passing words to the affect of, " ...at this point, I hope that big ridge in the Euro verifies, because I'd love to pile out of work into a 74 F afternoon on that Monday, with the extra hour of daylight"

Oddly prophetic, perhaps ... and while 74 is a stretch, I would definitely remind folks that under a well mixed, tall boundary layer, amid a WSW dry-warm continental conveyor, with 700 mb RH < 50%, and 850 mb rudimentary adiabatic starting temp of +10 or +11 ...that's going to bust MOS cool... 

The GFS version of that MOS is only 60 at FIT, which might actually be atoned for it's progressive look with that flat wave coming out of the southern GL region... The Euro is west of Chi town withat wave-space during Monday afternoon, with the eastern end of the warm boundary not sagging with typical climo - so...has an air of anomaly in that respects and we'll see. But, the GFS is about 6 to 9 hour faster with that S/W and probably pollutes the works.

I actually think this is a good test for the GFS ... ( Euro for that matter.., although the onus is on the GFS, because the Euro being inside of D4 ...it's probably closer to reality ;) ).  I've thought all along this season that the velocity/speed saturation, tending to stretch the flow ... serviced the GFS and made it's extended ranges look better than the foreign model types - which diametrically maintain the opposing tendency in the other direct ( meridian ). 

I just wonder if the GFS is going to start ablating warm ups all summer ( snark). Like it has difficulty seeing the longevity  of heat, because it'll keep right on stretching the flow when there is less reason to actually do so ...thus, revealing that it was scoring better this last winter by faux skill (so to speak). 

Ensembles are pretty mild through D10. we'll be in a precarious position for toughing though, beyond that timeframe too. On one hand we'll be on the east side or at times under a building ml ridge. Also it looks like the EPO will become more negative with time. On the other, teles seem to show a generally weakly to somewhat-pna,  + to +++ ao and generally +nao. Still I'm thinking we end up with mostly solid positive departures for a while, despite Spring cutoff season and the typical (or maybe slightly less) bouts of misery mist/possible mountain snows. 

• Like 1

It may be 2012 by affectation, though - but that's of course subjective.  Empirically it probably doesn't ...because 2012 was so obscene that by shear definition of scale and degree of that anomaly it must by convention be construed as exceptionally rare - to put it nicely... 

But, again... both years bear an 'affectation' of similarity:   early snow, followed by unrelenting bad winter, ends in butt-bang above normal March.  It doesn't matter so much - to me - what the exact empirical numbers are, in space, time and thermometer, as the 'behavior' is what is paramount.  A latter aspect I think folks are evading some ;)  ... or maybe are not realizing - I dunno. 

The behavioral similarity does give a 'subjective appeal' of useful comparison in my mind.  Because they are same in that dimension of perspective:  early snow and cold, no winter after... bend over March.  Not sure how that can be argued without lying -

6 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Ensembles are pretty mild through D10. we'll be in a precarious position for toughing though, beyond that timeframe too. On one hand we'll be on the east side or at times under a building ml ridge. Also it looks like the EPO will become more negative with time. On the other, teles seem to show a generally weakly to somewhat-pna,  + to +++ ao and generally +nao. Still I'm thinking we end up with mostly solid positive departures for a while, despite Spring cutoff season and the typical (or maybe slightly less) bouts of misery mist/possible mountain snows. 

Another dump into the west.

image.png

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Another dump into the west.

image.png

It's interesting ...the models have been constructing that look in the general mean for days ... and typically, a -EPO collapses into a +PNAP and the cold is thus enabled to spread east and so forth...

We are not getting the latter more typical large scale morphology from the models, though. It's like it's holding back - repetitively doing like you say... dumping west, without then modulating toward even a transient western mid latitude ridge.. But it really hasn't been exceptionally cold out there either.  Active storminess ..perhaps.

59 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

When are you thinking shut down this year? Early Napril?

I think my yard will be toast in a week or less... the hill has feet of natural and many feet of snowmaking/sleet style.  It certainly looks like an earlier melt out for sure but we’ll make scheduled closing day like always unless something real weird happens.   Even in 2012 the snowmaking routes survived till the end.  It takes a lot of warmth/energy to wipe it out.

Yeah so not sure it's believable...any -EPO

I'd like to see some supportive hemispheric cast members. The MJO is out of sequence for that.  The AO is demonstratively positive, and it overlaps the WPO and EPO's northern chunk of real-estate ... The MJO and AO have a pretty significant correlation, and the presently modeled +AO aspect is a good fit for the Phase 5 decay as it is - a scenario that is out of phase with a -WPO/-EPO ... 

That said, the wave spacing is in process of its seasonal change and the gradient is likely slackening ...and some of these tele start to slip correlation - it's awful early to expect that to save though...

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I think my yard will be toast in a week or less... the hill has feet of natural and many feet of snowmaking/sleet style.  It certainly looks like an earlier melt out for sure but we’ll make scheduled closing day like always unless something real weird happens.   Even in 2012 the snowmaking routes survived till the end.  It takes a lot of warmth/energy to wipe it out.

Even my local bump should make it until the end of March or even early April