Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2020 disc/obs

Torch Tiger

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

And more boring sh*t here lol.  Although yesterday was just stellar..I'll take more of that please.  

pretty much :lol:

Although next week may be quite warm...especially overnight temperatures. Could be looking at low temperature anomalies ranging from like +10 to +20

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

1 PM

KBOS 43

KORH 67

It's more than that... It's 72 along rt 2 as far E as 495, which is nothing shy of exceptional for March 10          ....WHILE there is a BD front cutting across the areaa.

I don't recall ever having see a BD go stationary on March 10 across NE Mass at mid day

38 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

That would be Tamarack 

lol.  My memory of March 1988 is marking timber for harvest on a public lot 25 miles west from PQI on the 21st and 22nd.  On the 21st CAR's max was 12 and on T12R6 I doubt it reached 10, plus the wind was roaring, gusting well into the 40s.  Not exactly spring wx, even in Aroostook.  Fortunately the snowshoeing was good and there was no loose snow to blow around, but one had to be less than 3' from a chosen tree to be able to hit it with the paint gun (and not get sprinkled too much oneself.)  Next day all was calm, temps climbed to upper 20s and we marked about 400 acres while covering 10-15 miles on the racquets.

42 minutes ago, tamarack said:

lol.  My memory of March 1988 is marking timber for harvest on a public lot 25 miles west from PQI on the 21st and 22nd.  On the 21st CAR's max was 12 and on T12R6 I doubt it reached 10, plus the wind was roaring, gusting well into the 40s.  Not exactly spring wx, even in Aroostook.  Fortunately the snowshoeing was good and there was no loose snow to blow around, but one had to be less than 3' from a chosen tree to be able to hit it with the paint gun (and not get sprinkled too much oneself.)  Next day all was calm, temps climbed to upper 20s and we marked about 400 acres while covering 10-15 miles on the racquets.

1888 Tom

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Just checked our original copy of the Portland daily obs for March 1888 and I didn't see any profanities hurled in the direction of NYC. Solid 42 mph NE gust on the morning ob.

Only Maine data I've found for that event was for Gardiner, which reported 8" with temps 38/32 - pasty mess.  Nearest megadump was ASH with 30" (20/8/2 on 12/13/14), most at mid-upper 20s but got down to 19 on 3/13.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

Just checked our original copy of the Portland daily obs for March 1888 and I didn't see any profanities hurled in the direction of NYC. Solid 42 mph NE gust on the morning ob.

Middletown Ct 5.75 melted 50 inches of snow. Oh how we pray for a coastal front like that

Screenshot_20200310-163616_Drive.jpg

5 hours ago, tamarack said:

Aroostook (The County" is 6,400 square miles, larger than CT+RI, and any area of that size will have many characteristics.  My impressions, from living there 10 years and many subsequent work visits:

South, basically S and E of I-95:  Resembles Downeast Maine - soils, topography, timber types - more than it does the rest of Aroostook.

East, the US 1 corridor and nearby:  Midwest vibe, due the high proportion of farmland.  Potatoes are no longer king (still crown prince) with increasing acres in broccoli and other crucifers, and small grains.  Best place in Maine, perhaps the Northeast, to experience ground blizzard whiteouts.

North/Northeast, the St. John Valley:  Francophone country, with many/most having French (North American version, sneered at by Parisians) as their first language.  Allagash Village is the exception, as it was settled by Scotch/Irish folks who had previously emigrated to Nova Scotia.  Very picturesque mix of farms and forest.

West/Northwest:  4 million acres of commercial forest and unspoiled lakes/streams, probably the largest private (mostly) tract of forest land w/o public roads in the lower 48.  One of very few places in the L-48 which can host a 250-mile dogsled race.

I find the Midwest vibe you speak of a little surprising, but I guess it makes sense if it's flat and suitable for farming. Although the growing season at that latitude must be really short. 

N ME is fantastic for synoptic snowstorms and a nice long winter season owing to it's high latitude, but must not that good for orographic type snows like I get here without mountains. They can get snow and mix events there while we're torching into the 60s and 70s. 

The Champlain Valley here in VT is the only other place in New England that might have that Midwest vibe, but even there you still have the backdrop of the Green Mountains in the distance to the east.  

4 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

I find the Midwest vibe you speak of a little surprising, but I guess it makes sense if it's flat and suitable for farming. Although the growing season at that latitude must be really short. 

N ME is fantastic for synoptic snowstorms and a nice long winter season owing to it's high latitude, but must not that good for orographic type snows like I get here without mountains. They can get snow and mix events there while we're torching into the 60s and 70s. 

The Champlain Valley here in VT is the only other place in New England that might have that Midwest vibe, but even there you still have the backdrop of the Green Mountains in the distance to the east.  

I can confirm the midwest vibe up there.  My wife is from Peoria, IL and she loves visiting up there.  She says she almost feels claustrophobic with all the trees and not being able to see the horizon but feels like she can breath in the midwest and places like northern Maine with it's wide open spaces in places.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Beautiful today. Another 70.

Jealous.  40s and rain here.  Nearest PWS on the golf course is 41/40 with thick fog out the window.  

Crazy how 60/20 didn’t melt much snow but dews of 40F or higher today are slurping the snow away in town.  Down to 4-6” of waterlogged snow in the yard.