Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 9-10 Winter Storm

madwx

9 minutes ago, Baum said:

reality....the usual trends have been weak fades to the south...not saying that would be the case 

Not sure systems in December were weak fades.Seems we had several decently strong rainers come through 

While tomorrow won't be the warning criteria event that everyone is craving in northern IL, it could be interesting for a few hours. Very steep lapse rates above 600 mb, possibly some small MUCAPE, and transient strong f-gen may yield convective snow rates in the quick moving WAA shield. Wouldn't be completely surprised if TSSN happened somewhere.

The 12z CAMs all hint at this, but most notably the 12z HRRR, which has a wall of 40+ dBZ reflectivity. Duration will the biggest limiting factor, as these potential heavy rates may only last an hour or two, maybe a bit longer far north.

I'm not saying tomorrow will, but sometimes these setups can overperform locally if you really max out the heavy rates for that 2-3 hour window.  One such recent setup that comes to mind is February 17, 2018 (2-3", locally 4" in 3-4 hours with marginal surface temps). Throw in the gusty south winds and conditions could be legit for a couple hours, with a bonus that if it happens it'll be during the daytime. If something like the 12z HRRR pans out, might be worthy of snow squall warning consideration.

20200208_094327.jpg

20200208_094422.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Not sure systems in December were weak fades.Seems we had several decently strong rainers come through 

December was dry as a bone...minus the system that scooted through St. Loius and Indy. In my mind, we have not had a true amped storm that wraps up in the winter season in almost two seasons. NAM looks better on this event it seems. Hoping for a 2-4" event...pipe dream I'm sure...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baum said:

December was dry as a bone...minus the system that scooted through St. Loius and Indy. In my mind, we have not had a true amped storm that wraps up in the winter season in almost two seasons. NAM looks better on this event it seems. Hoping for a 2-4" event...pipe dream I'm sure...

Your right that December was pretty dry. Late in the month Dec.27th-28th had 1.21" rain. Then on Jan.10th-11th another 1.11" with a small amt falling as 2.1" of snow but other than that meh

57 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Top 5 most interesting event of the winter if it pans out lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

As a weather forecaster that has to be a depressing thing to say huh? :-) Top 5 event would be, maybe, possibly, a 3 hour burst of heavy snow rates?!?!

Thanks for all the informative posts. Love the banter here (Go Alex!) but also nice to have someone posting with some insider/expert info!

• Like 1

I would take RC's post farther and say that I wouldn't be surprised to see a period of blizzard/near blizzard conditions in the LOT cwa.  You need 3 hours of meeting the visibility and gust criteria which may be tough to do at any given location, but nonetheless it should be pretty intense for a while.  There is tremendous low level wind in the waa regime, a lot of which should have trouble mixing down but still enough for some 35+ mph gusts I think.  Also will be curious to see what happens with the winds if that heavy burst of snow materializes... whether it enhances the gusts or not.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

23 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I would take RC's post farther and say that I wouldn't be surprised to see a period of blizzard/near blizzard conditions in the LOT cwa.  You need 3 hours of meeting the visibility and gust criteria which may be tough to do at any given location, but nonetheless it should be pretty intense for a while.  There is tremendous low level wind in the waa regime, a lot of which should have trouble mixing down but still enough for some 35+ mph gusts I think.  Also will be curious to see what happens with the winds if that heavy burst of snow materializes... whether it enhances the gusts or not.

if this were the case LOT would have to consider a WWA, although I guess RC mentioned the rare SSA(snow squall advisoryB))...looks like Izzi is in the house. If anybody would pull the trigger on that it'd be him.

Thinking about 1.5-2" here tomorrow.  Don't see a whole lot of potential for major overperformance locally due to the short duration.  I would put the ceiling around 3" and that would only be if everything breaks right and it rips extremely hard.  

Despite the weak surface low, there is a rather impressive llj with this to the tune of 50-70+ kts at 850 mb, which raises a bit of concern about precip changing from snow to something else faster than modeled.  But the mod/hvy precip rates should help to hold back the warming at least for a couple hours.