• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mansour
    Newest Member
    mansour

January Banter 2020

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Not to nitpick, but there are higher spots in N DE near the PA line. A few locations over 400 ft.

The high point is in the hills NW of Wilmington near the PA line. But I figured he must have meant biggest hill by vertical top to bottom. That might be true. I know the hill he is talking about. But it’s defini not the highest point in Delaware. 

32 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The high point is in the hills NW of Wilmington near the PA line. But I figured he must have meant biggest hill by vertical top to bottom. That might be true. I know the hill he is talking about. But it’s defini not the highest point in Delaware. 

Maybe. Yeah I know that hill too-  It sticks out because there is nothing but flat all around it, esp driving up from the south. Now that I know about where he lives, that is a dead zone in many cases for snow. Not sure what the 'new' averages are, but going by the old NCDC 30 year avg for snowfall into the early 2000s, the annual avg snowfall for that area is about the same as for mine.

Do you know where I can access the latest climo data? NCDC used to have a really cool searchable database to find climo data for cities/towns.

eta- I found the data tools for 1981-2010 'normals', but it no longer has snowfall data. I recall being able to find annual avg snowfall for practically any town years ago.

39 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Actually the highest elevation in DE is 448 feet and it’s just slightly NE of Wilmington right on the PA border. I live a mile from there and my elevation is about 400 ft. I work in the city of Wilmington and it’s crazy how much of a snow difference that 400 ft makes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Maybe. Yeah I know that hill too-  It sticks out because there is nothing but flat all around it, esp driving up from the south. Now that I know about where he lives, that is a dead zone in many cases for snow. Not sure what the 'new' averages are, but going by the old NCDC 30 year avg for snowfall into the early 2000s, the annual avg snowfall for that area is about the same as for mine.

Do you know where I can access the latest climo data? NCDC used to have a really cool searchable database to find climo data for cities/towns.

eta- I found the data tools for 1981-2010 'normals', but it no longer has snowfall data. I recall being able to find annual avg snowfall for practically any town years ago.

Yea in fairness to him he does live in a snow anus. Especially for how far north he is. No worse than other coastal plain locations near water, but worse than some coastal plain locations and way worse than anyone west of the fall line in this sub or the philly one. There is an elevation minimum right there near where the Chesapeake and Delaware River nearly converge. The canal connecting them is just south of him. There is a screw zone there where the warmth that rides up the two waterways tend to engulf that area just as fast as places to the south then stalls out at the fall line just northwest if him. Plus the downslope off the hills just to his north and west cuts down in his precip some and warms a degree or two.  Even a NNE wind downslopes off the hills along the DE PA border . On top of that he is just slightly too far south west to really cash on  miller b storms but painfully close, even more painful to him when a storms like Dec 2000 or Dec 2010 happens and he can smell the big snows happening 15 miles northeast of him. 

I totally get his frustration. But he needs to accept (and seems to be) that it’s his climo and a reality that is unlikely to change. 

I use this to get a lot of my snowfall data.

http://climod2.nrcc.cornell.edu

There is so much good stuff. You can get daily data from every coop or you can get monthly summaries which will list the avg snowfall also. I am not sure where has the new 30 year climo (technically it won’t come out until after this year anyways) but you can easily calculate it using the yearly summaries. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, wawarriors4 said:

The 6z GEFS shows snow in Mexico City, I know it's like 7,000 feet in elevation, but how often does Snow in Mexico City happen?

It's fascinating, Wikipedia says they used to get ocassional lake effect snow (once per decade or so) but since the lake's disapearance in 1965, they have not received any snowfall

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Not to nitpick, but there are higher spots in N DE near the PA line. A few locations over 400 ft.

haha, i was going to make the same post...I drive past the highest point in Delaware just about daily, which is on Ebright road and is about 448 feet ASL

https://www.dgs.udel.edu/delaware-geology/highest-point-delaware

edit: my bad, guess I should have read the whole thread as this has been mentioned a couple of times

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluehens said:

Actually the highest elevation in DE is 448 feet and it’s just slightly NE of Wilmington right on the PA border. I live a mile from there and my elevation is about 400 ft. I work in the city of Wilmington and it’s crazy how much of a snow difference that 400 ft makes. 

I grew up very close to the high elevation spot and in marginal events, there can be a significant difference between my house and ILG. Best recent example I can think of is 2/3/14 where I received over 4 inches and the airport barely got 1. In the last winter I measured every event in North Wilmington (2014-15), I received about 30% more snow than the airport over the season.

That being said, I do understand @RevWarReenactor's frustration about the area because that area is often painstakingly close to bigger events but ends up on the wrong side of the gradient.  @psuhoffman outlined this before with Miller Bs, but it's true for mixed events and southern sliders too. Mdecoy's situation is a bit worse than mine was when I lived in DE, but I still missed out on events such as 2/1994, 12/1995, 12/14/13, and 3/4/19 by maybe 20 miles. Meanwhile storms like 1/30/10, both March 2014 storms, 2/16/15, and 1/13/19 were advisory level storms while downstate and the DMV got crushed. Delaware is also pretty susceptible to dry slotting during big Miller As, which was most evident in the Blizzard of 2016 when NCC was a relative minima compared to the surrounding areas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Winter Wizard said:

I grew up very close to the high elevation spot and in marginal events, there can be a significant difference between my house and ILG. Best recent example I can think of is 2/3/14 where I received over 4 inches and the airport barely got 1. In the last winter I measured every event in North Wilmington (2014-15), I received about 30% more snow than the airport over the season.

That being said, I do understand @RevWarReenactor's frustration about the area because that area is often painstakingly close to bigger events but ends up on the wrong side of the gradient.  @psuhoffman outlined this before with Miller Bs, but it's true for mixed events and southern sliders too. Mdecoy's situation is a bit worse than mine was when I lived in DE, but I still missed out on events such as 2/1994, 12/1995, 12/14/13, and 3/4/19 by maybe 20 miles. Meanwhile storms like 1/30/10, both March 2014 storms, 2/16/15, and 1/13/19 were advisory level storms while downstate and the DMV got crushed. Delaware is also pretty susceptible to dry slotting during big Miller As, which was most evident in the Blizzard of 2016 when NCC was a relative minima compared to the surrounding areas. 

I have found over the years that North Wilmington's climo is much closer to PHL readings than ILG in general.

Your memory is much better than mine with regard to missing out on events but more often than not we miss out by being too far south rather than north.  Same could be said for most on this forum.  I think we end up doing pretty well relative on the Miller A storms.  2016 was a bad one for us though because we were just stuck in the subsistence of the band west of us for like 10 straight hours.  Never got into the heavies.

I will say though that I experienced 27" and 21" from the 2 Feb '10 storms and I was in Newark DE for 1996 and we measured 31".

• Like 1

Just now, H2O said:

Y'all better hope that Lucy isn't running the models today

Thanks for the stopping by Deb

16 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Damn...Neal Peart is gone at 67  . 

May he RIP. Saw them so many times....my favorite band ever and best drummer. I am in shock. So sad.  Brain cancer

• Like 1

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

May he RIP. Saw them so many times....my favorite band ever and best drummer. I am in shock. So sad.  Brain cancer

My favorite as well . I know what I'll be listening to tonight. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Many dont even realize what a phenomenal lyricist he was in addition to his incredible drum skill. Just an incredible and very soft-spoken talent. He will be missed. Apparently he kept his battle with cancer on the down-low. This explains his sudden retirement a few years ago. :(

9 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Listening to the Fly by Night cd now.

2112 up next . Saw then several times in the 80s

RIP Neal Pert. Incredibly talented. Quite the show man. Was lucky to see them a few times from the 80s through the 2000s. Too young. Best that ever lived x100. 

o wow.  He had an air conditioning system built into his drum kit.  He was one of the greatest of all time.  Ill be listening all night as well.  

I will just leave this here:  

All the world's indeed a stage
And we are merely players
Performers and portrayers
Each another's audience
Outside the gilded cage

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Many dont even realize what a phenomenal lyricist he was in addition to his incredible drum skill. Just an incredible and very soft-spoken talent. He will be missed. Apparently he kept his battle with cancer on the down-low. This explains his sudden retirement a few years ago. :(

They said his arthritis had gotten worse is what I understand .