Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate/Eastern New York

WPC Ext Disc...

Given the evolution of the large-scale/hemispheric pattern, with a building

anomalous upper ridge between Alaska and Hawaii, this favors a

persistent mean trough along the U.S. West Coast and a stronger

subtropical ridge in the Southeast.

Sounds like the Bermuda high is the winner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, vortmax said:

WPC Ext Disc...

Given the evolution of the large-scale/hemispheric pattern, with a building

anomalous upper ridge between Alaska and Hawaii, this favors a

persistent mean trough along the U.S. West Coast and a stronger

subtropical ridge in the Southeast.

Sounds like the Bermuda high is the winner.

Yeah, this isn't last year. The long range looks terrible compared to last year at this time where nearly all signs pointed to a big change. I don't see it yet. There will be a relax in the current regime, but no arctic cold anywhere to be found in the GL. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah, this isn't last year. The long range looks terrible compared to last year at this time where nearly all signs pointed to a big change. I don't see it yet. There will be a relax in the current regime, but no arctic cold anywhere to be found in the GL. 

Yeah, looking at the GEFS maps you posted above, it looks like a SLIGHT relaxation, and then the warmth starts working its way up through the Ohio Valley.

7 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yeah, looking at the GEFS maps you posted above, it looks like a SLIGHT relaxation, and then the warmth starts working its way up through the Ohio Valley.

There is still potential in the D10+ range. But that is so far out. EPS suggest some help from the Pacific in D10-15 with +PNA, but the Atlantic is still garbage. Would put us in a more favorable gradient pattern then where we are currently. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

This storm was always a long shot. At least we got a couple clown maps out of it. 
Our disappointing winter persists. I still think February and March will be better. Can’t be worse?  

March 2012 says hi, even though I thoroughly enjoyed it. :sun:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/national/201203

Whenever Alaska is cold, we are warm and vice versa. 

21 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

March 2012 says hi, even though I thoroughly enjoyed it. :sun:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/national/201203

Whenever Alaska is cold, we are warm and vice versa. 

2020 would fit into this graph like a glove.  Sadly..... It looks like an ugly 4 year return interval on very mild winters.   

image.png.10bf449fb7a72c060bf4d7ab6174f63a.png

Just to Add to the Gloom

"We looked back over the National Weather Service’s official hourly readings at Hancock International Airport since the new year rang in. Of the 131 readings so far, 128 of them, or 98%, showed the sky was covered with clouds or that it was raining, misting, snowing or just plain foggy.  Observers at the airport jotted down just three “fair” readings, which indicate mostly clear skies. One of those readings came at 11 p.m. on New Year’s Day, leaving just two daylight hours with any real sun. Those came just after lunch time last Thursday."

"In Syracuse, the cloudiest Upstate city, we see sunshine just 44% of the time the sun is over the horizon, according to the National Centers for Environmental Information. That’s just slightly cloudier than Seattle, which gets 45% of available sunshine. Buffalo and Binghamton get 47% of available sunshine, and Rochester gets 48%. The sunniest – and we use the term loosely – major Upstate city is Albany, with 50%."

23 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

18z icon just takes that LP and shunts it right to the UP of Michigan. Several hundred mile difference from GFS in 24 hours. All courtesy of our lovely Bermuda hp. Puke

Sounds good to me...keep moving west...so far west that we miss out on any precip...and it moves up into Canada and hopefully mixes up this whole pattern.

I can dream.

• Like 1