• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

3 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

You know ever since Matt showed up 2 years ago.. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Alrighty Tug, the posters from Upstate have come together and we've decided to take executive action to kick you out of NYS. We wish you good fortune in your future endeavors. 

2 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

You have been given only 3 choices in your quest to find a new home, anywhere in the mid-Atlantic, the New England area or the UP of Michigan (yrs I'm aware they get alot of snow now, however once Matt arrives the storm track will inevitably shift in our favor with West to southwest winds funneling cold air all winter long...

Bahaha! This whole conversation taking place while I was working all morning made me chuckle during my lunch break. I could move to the top of a volcano that gets tons of snow...but then the volcano would erupt as soon as I got there and melt all the snow around my house..and I'd probably be dead too, so there's that.........................

Really nice snow Lake effect snow band moving through here now. Some of our best snows of the winter off and on throughout the morning.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The GEFS show the SE persisting its entire run. :thumbsdown:

If its true we likely end up with +10-15 departures for the month, unprecedented stuff. Same anomalies as Feb of 2014 and March of 2012. 

Saturday has a chance at 60. 

Im telling you I read somewhere about the GEFS still using the old algorithms...it can't be that the short term euro is right but the EPS is wrong? 

14 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The GEFS show the SE persisting its entire run. :thumbsdown:

If its true we likely end up with +10-15 departures for the month, unprecedented stuff. Same anomalies as Feb of 2014 and March of 2012. 

Saturday has a chance at 60. 

This seems to be happening way too often this century.

While the hills of the UP may be cashing in , Marquette proper doesn't have as much snow as u would think, especially with all these cutters..They have 55" as of January 5th..But they have at least kept the snow on the ground lol

Half of their December Snowfall came in the first 2 days..

Screenshot_20200108-140806.png

1 minute ago, wolfie09 said:

While the hills of the UP may be cashing in , Marquette proper doesn't have as much snow as u would think, especially with all these cutters..They have 55" as of January 5th..But they have at least kept the snow on the ground lol

Screenshot_20200108-140806.png

Yeah the UP has the best snow retention east of rockies. Once they get a base, they don't lose it until May. Where Bo lives is the best spot. He rarely drops below 3' throughout the winter, and 80-90% of the winters gets above a 50" base, sometimes 60++

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

This seems to be happening way too often this century.

Well Feb 2014 was due to negative departures. I think we finished at -12.3? 

This was due to SSW event that brought the PV to the great lakes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_2014_North_American_cold_wave

February then proved to be the most brutal month of the season.  A weak upper level jet over the Northern Pacific not only helped to keep the West Coast ridge intact, but likely played a role in supporting an exaggerated high latitude block over North America.  This pattern was further locked in place by the displacement of the much misunderstood polar vortex which drifted south of James Bay for a period of several weeks.  The very highly amplified pattern kept a near constant feed of frigid arctic air in place over our region, which plummeted our mercury to levels that averaged 15 degrees F below normal.  This is extraordinary considering that the coldest weather of the year occurs during the second half of January and the first half of February, so to be that much below those ‘normal’ values is quite impressive.

The near unprecedented cold was accompanied by several storms that generated one of the snowiest months of the winter.  Snowfall totals for the month of February were at least two feet above normal in most areas.  It is also worth noting that while the colder, more southerly storm tracks generated higher snowfall amounts, it also kept our region from experiencing the usual number of high wind events.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Some of the cities in Michigan like Traverse City and Marquette can get some good downsloping from southerly winds that warm them up quickly. Very similar to what happens in Upstate New York.

• Thanks 1