• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2020 Mid/Long Term Discussion

nj2va

Seems like models are beginning to converge on the northern and western parts of the sub. Seeing flakes. With as warm as its been and the system being weak and moisture starved its hard to imagine this being anymore than a coating to maybe an inch. But any snow is good snow and begggers cant be choosers lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

It snowed last January...lol But prime climo is pushed to mid/late January, though--I never expect anything before then. (This year it's shaping up to be February at the rate we're going)

Prime window runs from mid Jan to mid Feb historically. Some of our bigger snows have occurred mid to late Feb, and once in a while early March. Lately March has become more of a winter month. 

9 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Oh yeah? Shoot...(and the 12z GFS does have the yellow right over us near gametime, too, smh Home field advantage...go figure)

Yeah, I would certainly rather it be dry, since the only way I think we lose is if we turn the ball over and turnovers are more likely in bad weather but we just need to run the ball and play our game 

• Like 1

Ens have been moving the wrong direction down the line. Seeing consensus on a continuation of a nasty -pna without enough from the Atl side to offset anymore. Is what it is but my confidence of getting out of this mess in Jan is declining. Pac NW weenies will be running naked through the streets for at least a couple weeks

• Sad 1

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

Yeah, I would certainly rather it be dry, since the only way I think we lose is if we turn the ball over and turnovers are more likely in bad weather but we just need to run the ball and play our game 

Good news is we've had plenty of wet football practice this year...so there is that, lol

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Ens have been moving the wrong direction down the line. Seeing consensus on a continuation of a nasty -pna without enough from the Atl side to offset anymore. Is what it is but my confidence of getting out of this mess in Jan is declining. Pac NW weenies will be running naked through the streets for at least a couple weeks

They've been making out like fat rats since last winter, smh

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm not giving up until PSU tells me 47 times 

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

12z GEFS continues to have a modest signal for something frozen between the 16th and 18th with a cold front that temporarily knocks down the SE ridge. We can track this until it disappears lol. Otherwise it's wall to wall SE ridge and mild, and still hints of higher h5 heights building towards GL from Scand at the end of the run. 

This is workable lol..at least se ridge is flatter ...workable for maybe what it could turn into in feb lol1046311ce66512d4fd7b2cf132108ac4.jpg&key=554f03ffb2c8b1606ad6dc6e17111a3d323829b543a707dfa0e512104e13841a

• Haha 2

The setup for Tues actually isn't far from being a stronger storm then currently depicted. Right now the shortwave in the NS  is lagging behind the southern SW. But a quicker, deeper drop with this NS shortwave puts it in a prime position for dropping down the back side of the southern for a phase. Only problem with seeing that occur though is that the low is struggling to stay south of us as it is. Stronger system and we are tempting fate on seeing the system run to our west. So the question is, do we fell lucky? :D

euroshortwaves.gif.c734537bce707c1bc75eee1a3902d3b7.gif

From Isotherm over in the NYC forum.... find his point about MJO phase 8 = pattern change very interesting,  while he replied to this comment from a member that stated the MJO is looking better at the end of the month.  

I certainly agree with Tom,  many things are at play and a pattern change will need enough overall push/amplitude ,etc.,  to counter the well established issues so far this month and looking down the road as well.  

2 hours ago, Snow88 said:

What's with all the doom?

Mjo looks pretty good  at the end of this month 

20200104_1047501.jpg

20200104_1045261.jpg

from Isotherm :

Keep in mind, the phase 7-MJO response is still a warm one for the E US, although cold-air transport into the Plains increases. One would need continued propagation into phase 8 at amplitude for potential/putative pattern amelioration [and as discussed yesterday by Bluewave and I, propagation into 8 is not necessarily a guarantee of a significant pattern change, either -- many factors involved].

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

The setup for Tues actually isn't far from being a stronger storm then currently depicted. Right now the shortwave in the NS  is lagging behind the southern SW. But a quicker, deeper drop with this NS shortwave puts it in a prime position for dropping down the back side of the southern for a phase. Only problem with seeing that occur though is that the low is struggling to stay south of us as it is. Stronger system and we are tempting fate on seeing the system run to our west. So the question is, do we fell lucky? :D

euroshortwaves.gif.c734537bce707c1bc75eee1a3902d3b7.gif

If we're extremely lucky? The Farmer's Almanac will be correct, lol (they said 4"-8" inches in the "Northeast" for this date range. Of course, the 4" may be closer to our max...but who knows? :D)

I know this is beating a dead horse but wow. Looping the GEFS thru the entirety there is absolutely nothing helping to breakdown any of the key puke features. The PAC ridge just continues to grow as it gets reenergized over and over, the PV is like a top just spinning away but not wobbling very much, the W Coast trof is about as stationary a continental US trof as I have ever seen. There is no sugarcoating things as this takes us thru MLK Day. Then, even if things start to shift around favorably we are what another 10 days to 2 weeks out from seeing any effect? I, like many here, am trying to hold out hope but it is getting closer and closer to tossing Jan time. Like PSU said, give it till the 15th. If we dont see any favorable changes showing on the ens at that time.....

45 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Hard to see no progress over 2 full weeks...

I'd have to look at some composites but this Jan seems awfully similar Jan 2002 going off memory

i thought the 10 day euro looked more encouraging with some push into the NAO domain

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

i thought the 10 day euro looked more encouraging with some push into the NAO domain

Agree, and 12z eps is actually a sig improvement d10+ in the Atl. Better than the gefs now...

Overall the Pac is stable and overwhelming through d15. We need that ridge/trough alignment to change here at some point. Any meaningful change there is getting pushed out in time every day. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic