• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2020 Mid/Long Term Discussion

nj2va

@frd  Ive been watch that evolution the past few days on the GEFS.  If anything, the PV will be no longer stationary....makes a pretty drastic move and stretches somewhat past D10.  Not moving too far away from the pole yet on those looks but I am just happy to see something...anything not remain stagnant in the LR.  Euro looks to be in agreement thru D10 at least.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Euro looks to be in agreement thru D10 at least.  

To me having agreement on movement is a win. If there is going to be a future change in the NAM state for Feb it will have to start from somewhere.

This follows along the lines of the Euro seasonal I believe issued on 1/1/20 - it showed below average 2 meter temps across a large portion of the country. 

The temp signature seems to align itself with a - EPO delivery. During the next couple weeks Western Canada will be very cold and this could set the stage for ample cold to dig South first across the Western US and then gradually move East. The estimated times periods for the -EPO and the -NAO that some spoke of being Jan for the -EPO delivery and Feb for the -NAO may potentially may simply have been pusehd back in time.I could almost speculate a deep -EPO in Feb and then the first real deep -NAO /Davis Straits NAO block of the new calendar year being in late Feb to early March. Fitting again some speculation on a colder and possibly snowier March this year. 

This would coincide with the tendency of later season blocking episodes ( as in some prior years this past decade ) and allows the QBO to further descend and have an impact on the sensible weather pattern here in the East, not to mention possible reshuffling in the West Pac.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ji said:
2 hours ago, stormtracker said:
Where?

It's the dumbest title ever..probably why you missed it

lol, took me a minute to realize it was a storm thread and not a discussion about how bad the pattern is.  as far as patterns are concerned, call me one of those who didn't see this coming after what was a pretty chilly start to the season.  this is without a doubt as weak of a winter as last year so far (actually weaker because the mid january storm was great).  on a side note, i enjoy the outdoors, so if it doesn't snow i'm ok with some hiking/biking weather.

1 hour ago, poolz1 said:

@frd  Ive been watch that evolution the past few days on the GEFS.  If anything, the PV will be no longer stationary....makes a pretty drastic move and stretches somewhat past D10.  Not moving too far away from the pole yet on those looks but I am just happy to see something...anything not remain stagnant in the LR.  Euro looks to be in agreement thru D10 at least.  

The wheels appear to be in motion.

12 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

When I watched this WB EPS 500 mb anomalies in motion, looks like by the 20th the SE ridge is finally getting beaten down, and the western trough with an Arctic connection shifting east as a ridge builds in Alaska.   

5CF04397-CAF0-4051-8944-6B3EE2D7223C.png

That's not a bad look and extrapolated even better. I like the more significant SD colors colors to Scandinavia and not the Pac leading the way. The trof moving east like a turtle isnt bad either. Let's get this under 180 hours.

ETA: forget about he above extrapolation because one could argue the PV is setting up near Alaska which is yet another way to fail. 

• Like 1

EPS improved with the potential around the 17th. Meteos aren't out yet so I can't compare fine details run over run but overall it moved in the right direction. It's a tight window but looking half decent from afar. 

Gefs is odd man out with shuffling the pac ridge/trough. Eps and geps are rolling forward to a decent but not amazing look. Pleased overall as it appears the -pna death grip is easing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Weather Will said:

When I watched this WB EPS 500 mb anomalies in motion, looks like by the 20th the SE ridge is finally getting beaten down, and the western trough with an Arctic connection shifting east as a ridge builds in Alaska.   

EPS has been ever so slowly trending towards a neutral, and possibly a +PNA over recent runs. Good sign.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

I posted this yesterday but feel even better about where the pattern is going. Imho- both the geps and eps are moving towards this look late Jan. Not a big dog but certainly faaaar better than where we are now.

cfs-avg_z500aMean_nhem_4.png

Every 2 days it seems we go in mood swings. Today is a happy ending day on the ens. Cool.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Every 2 days it seems we go in mood swings. Today is a happy ending day on the ens. Cool.

Agree on the rollercoaster. Lost some time on any flip but now (imho only) we're seeing some agreement on how we get out and gaining a little time in the process. 

Gefs is now odd man out but until all 3 global ens agree on progression and timing I'll be nervous. Give me 2 runs of the gefs showing the GoA ridge building and I'm all in. It's still not a great look but magnitudes better than the next 10 days...

Can't seem to get the scan ridge to move ploeward on most op and ens runs.... But, the gfs gets the pattern out of the crapper through retrogression of the PAC ridge. Only reason it is notable imo is the eps showed this as well at 12z.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Well he mentioned the North Atlantic trough specifically, that was what I thought he was talking about.

NA is our acronym for North America. Full latitude trough. Get that neg tilt and close off on the way north and it's fireworks for someone. It was just an interesting panel. Total fantasyland stuff though

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

NA is our acronym for North America. Full latitude trough. Get that neg tilt and close off on the way north and it's fireworks for someone. It was just an interesting panel. Total fantasyland stuff though

OP at range but the Pac death puke blob from Hades is displaced and waning by the end.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic