• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    LanaM
    Newest Member
    LanaM
wdrag

Minor to moderate winter event M-Tue Dec 16-17, 2019

You just know that when u wake up in the middle of the night and log in and see that the topic at hand is NOT lit up like a Christmas tree that things are NOT going as or as bad as they were expected. Still time and freezing rain is falling as I type so lets see how this plays out

• Like 1

This event is why I like to think down side and called it minor-moderate.  Snowfall algorithms were a bust s of I-90 as many have noted, but still this storm brought an icy mess to the regions just a few miles outside of NYC that forced numerous travel delays, school closures/delays, power outages with over 10000 customers having no power in NJ as of late today.   QPF in the freezing air was a little less than needed for more widespread power outages, and there wasn't a front end thump of snow.   On school closings while roads were seemingly just wet...  it differs when young adults are hanging out at hill town bus stops or walking to school in freezing rain, with sidewalks icy, especially rural areas.  Lots of liability concerns.  A little more freezing rain after they had gone to school, and trees/wires start closing roads and you're saying why did we risk it.   Snow was overstated but in the end, model guidance FAR FAR in advance pegged a winter event from CO to New England, and certainly knew something was coming for our area as early as the 00z/9 run (in a daily blog). Modeling will continue to improve.  I think it's magnificent compared to what we had in the 1960s. 

At 738PM/18 I've added the interpolated snowfall for this event.  It includes some lake effect off the  Great Lakes. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 7.33.56 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1