• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2019 New England Banter and Disco

NorEastermass128

I guess the "Ditch the Switch" movement is growing.  Another words staying on Daylight Saving Time year round.  Sounds great, sunsets an hour later in the morning.  Down side is later sunrises.  Since New England is on the eastern side of the Eastern Time Zone we really would get shafted in the AM.  Sun rises after 815am in December.  It was tried in the 1970's.  People thought is was a great idea and then people hated it.  What do you think, should we not move the clocks forward tonight?  Personally I hate dark mornings  (ha, models would come in an hour later too!)

4 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I guess the "Ditch the Switch" movement is growing.  Another words staying on Daylight Saving Time year round.  Sounds great, sunsets an hour later in the morning.  Down side is later sunrises.  Since New England is on the eastern side of the Eastern Time Zone we really would get shafted in the AM.  Sun rises after 815am in December.  It was tried in the 1970's.  People thought is was a great idea and then people hated it.  What do you think, should we not move the clocks forward tonight?  Personally I hate dark mornings  (ha, models would come in an hour later too!)

I love it. I wish we made the flip sooner like mid October. I loathe the morning darkness.

7 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Switch it back.  Folks in eastern Maine should have part of their school day in daylight.  :)

16 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

The ones shafted in the AM in the Eastern time  zone would be the people out in Indiana,etc if we dropped DST. They would get sunrise after 9am in DEC. That would be rough 

For anyone who has to be up early in the morning (and I find is especially bad with with kids), DST absolutely blows donkey balls. Really glad we've fallen back. I'm fine with DST from April to maybe early October, but this BS of waiting until November and going as early as March 8-10 really sucks.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

For anyone who has to be up early in the morning (and I find is especially bad with with kids), DST absolutely blows donkey balls. Really glad we've fallen back. I'm fine with DST from April to maybe early October, but this BS of waiting until November and going as early as March 8-10 really sucks.

Will, trying to understand what you mean.....are saying the earlier light gets the kids up vs before?

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Will, trying to understand what you mean.....are saying the earlier light gets the kids up vs before?

My dogs are on internal DST time, usually up and at um 0545 yea 0445 last 2 days. Feeding schedules will slowly be pushed up until we are back in sync that will change sleeping habits. Have to do the same with very young kids, gradually change feeding and sleeping time. Will will learn

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

My dogs are on internal DST time, usually up and at um 0545 yea 0445 last 2 days. Feeding schedules will slowly be pushed up until we are back in sync that will change sleeping habits. Have to do the same with very young kids, gradually change feeding and sleeping time. Will will learn

My dog is not like that.  If she has food, she eats.  Regardless of time, daylight.

On 11/2/2019 at 8:52 PM, wxeyeNH said:

Stop changing the clocks.    

Kids do adjust, for me...it's having no time for them to play outside when it's dark at 4:30. I get home, pick up kids, and try to get dinner ready. It's nice to have them burn off some energy while I get that ready. I'm all for later daylight in the late aftn. Wasn't like that prior to kids..lol.

Question about home owner assoc dues. We built our house on a 4 lot sub division in 2012. We moved in in Feb 2013. Up until last Winter we paid all plowing costs of our road which is ~1/4mi long. On avg, plowing/sanding costs $1200; a pretty big winter expense but we dealt with it until last year when someone else built the 2nd house. We split the plow bill last year, no issues.

The other two lots are owned, but not built on yet. I know both parties; one guy is local and the other lives out of state. The local guy has his property up for sale and offered to chip in his share for plowing. I initially told him don't worry about it, but then figured if he needs access for potential buyers to look at his property over the Winter, why not accept his offer. I contacted the out of state guy and asked that he start contributing and recall him offering a few years back. We said no at that time, don't worry about it. Well he's now saying he doesn't recall the conversation and doesn't seem to want to pay his part. I get that fact that if you don't actually live here yet, maybe you can argue you shouldn't have to pay for road maintenance, but I know other friends that live in HOA's around the lakes and it is expected that you pay up even if you live outside of state during the winter.

The cost for this guy would be ~$300 for the season. I'm not going to be a jerk about it if he doesn't want to pay, nor can I force him to, but I thought it was expected that you contribute to HOAs regardless if you don't live where the property is located. We've been sucking it up for nearly 8 yrs and figured why not ask the other two guys to help out. Are we wrong? There is no formal assoc on our road so it's more about being neighborly.

4 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Question about home owner assoc dues. We built our house on a 4 lot sub division in 2012. We moved in in Feb 2013. Up until last Winter we paid all plowing costs of our road which is ~1/4mi long. On avg, plowing/sanding costs $1200; a pretty big winter expense but we dealt with it until last year when someone else built the 2nd house. We split the plow bill last year, no issues.

The other two lots are owned, but not built on yet. I know both parties; one guy is local and the other lives out of state. The local guy has his property up for sale and offered to chip in his share for plowing. I initially told him don't worry about it, but then figured if he needs access for potential buyers to look at his property over the Winter, why not accept his offer. I contacted the out of state guy and asked that he start contributing and recall him offering a few years back. We said no at that time, don't worry about it. Well he's now saying he doesn't recall the conversation and doesn't seem to want to pay his part. I get that fact that if you don't actually live here yet, maybe you can argue you shouldn't have to pay for road maintenance, but I know other friends that live in HOA's around the lakes and it is expected that you pay up even if you live outside of state during the winter.

The cost for this guy would be ~$300 for the season. I'm not going to be a jerk about it if he doesn't want to pay, nor can I force him to, but I thought it was expected that you contribute to HOAs regardless if you don't live where the property is located. We've been sucking it up for nearly 8 yrs and figured why not ask the other two guys to help out. Are we wrong? There is no formal assoc on our road so it's more about being neighborly.

Is there any contracts or anything written out? I bought a house on a dead end that is responsible for plow costs (private road) and insuring a small parcel of private land that is right off the road owned by the association. 

the plow costs are split between everyone... my HOA dues are 625$ a year.

The house I bought was in litigation with a builder for a while and when settled, back dues were paid... so even though nobody was living in the home and it wasn’t even finished... the owner of the property was responsible for their portion of the dues.

My take... he owns the property... he should chip in... who knows what kind of emergency access he may need, or if he ever decides he wants to visit the plot 

12 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Is there any contracts or anything written out? I bought a house on a dead end that is responsible for plow costs (private road) and insuring a small parcel of private land that is right off the road owned by the association. 

the plow costs are split between everyone... my HOA dues are 625$ a year.

The house I bought was in litigation with a builder for a while and when settled, back dues were paid... so even though nobody was living in the home and it wasn’t even finished... the owner of the property was responsible for their portion of the dues.

My take... he owns the property... he should chip in... who knows what kind of emergency access he may need, or if he ever decides he wants to visit the plot 

The only "contract" per se is from the original sub division land owner that sold each plot of land to each of us. Included in the sale was a copy of the "Association" which had some definitions and requirements, but ultimately other than not being able to put a trailer on the house lots, it was left up to us and future land owners at the time to put something more formal into place. At a minimum we should probably set up a bank account where all dues can be kept, but it's been so simple that I put a copy of the monthly plow invoice into our current neighbors mail box and they leave us a check. I told the out of state guy I'll shoot him a text with a copy of invoice. Silence.

He visits the plot a couple times a year, usually during the Summer. The other issue is the road is in need of new gravel. Will need to figure out how to collect that money next year.