• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

Not looking forward to the winter months.  September, October, November and December are actually proven to be the worst months for fatal car accidents in NY and I'm willing to gamble it's weather related since no one seems to know how to drive in rain or snow... Would rather see the thermometer stay at it's current 68°F outside temps.

2 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Some major changes out west, particularly the EPO should eventually give us cooler weather however it'll dump the cold west first so we'll have to wait until November for it to arrive.

Similar pattern to what we have been experiencing all year. Coldest departures stay out West.Then the cold modifies as it moves east.

1ABA55F1-A342-4409-9825-0349DD8D2E90.thumb.png.bab93e761e3b9f6dc6caf0dfbd5c29f3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Johnny_Weather said:

Not looking forward to the winter months.  September, October, November and December are actually proven to be the worst months for fatal car accidents in NY and I'm willing to gamble it's weather related since no one seems to know how to drive in rain or snow... Would rather see the thermometer stay at it's current 68°F outside temps.

September generally has nice weather. I bet many of those are pedestrian since all I hear about are hit and runs in the outer boros

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Similar pattern to what we have been experiencing all year. Coldest departures stay out West.Then the cold modifies as it moves east.

1ABA55F1-A342-4409-9825-0349DD8D2E90.thumb.png.bab93e761e3b9f6dc6caf0dfbd5c29f3.png

I remember reading about why this pattern is so stable.  It has to do with oceans warming faster therefore the land areas near the oceans are more likely to be warmer than normal.  High mountainous areas like the Rockies are more likely to be colder than normal.

13 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I remember reading about why this pattern is so stable.  It has to do with oceans warming faster therefore the land areas near the oceans are more likely to be warmer than normal.  High mountainous areas like the Rockies are more likely to be colder than normal.

A useful link concerning persistent patterns: https://news.rutgers.edu/more-persistent-weather-patterns-us-linked-arctic-warming/20180919#.XbGs3GZ7mUk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Thanks, just what I was looking for to account for the rapid increase in 3"+ rainfall events, all the flooding in the middle of the country that seems to be happening yearly, as well as the wildfire epidemic in the West and the decrease of extreme Arctic outbreaks directly into the East.

• Like 1

Similar to this time last year, the jet stream is on steroids. 158KT at 250mb at GGW (Glasgow, MT) this morning is an all-time record there (going back to 1948). Riverton, WY came in 1KT shy of their highest observed 250mb wind speed at 12Z.

image.thumb.png.530983cf6270643f54eadb4480e6dd62.png

Meanwhile, tomorrow's jet stream amplification in the Northeast is also likely to set at least monthly records as the Atlantic ridge flexes. GFS below:

image.thumb.png.ede30142b8fe5a05b10661a55368e6b2.png

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

Similar to this time last year, the jet stream is on steroids. 158KT at 250mb at GGW (Glasgow, MT) this morning is an all-time record there (going back to 1948). Riverton, WY came in 1KT shy of their highest observed 250mb wind speed at 12Z.

image.thumb.png.530983cf6270643f54eadb4480e6dd62.png

Meanwhile, tomorrow's jet stream amplification in the Northeast is also likely to set at least monthly records as the Atlantic ridge flexes. GFS below:

image.thumb.png.ede30142b8fe5a05b10661a55368e6b2.png

No good 

• Like 1