Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Dorian Banter Thread

Jtm12180

1 minute ago, Prospero said:

Josh Morgerman is my new wannabe person. Jim Cantore held that title for so many years...

I have never met him, never heard of him, maybe never seen any of his videos and barely anything he has written except a little with this storm.

He is like a brother to me now, so happy he lived. Josh, my new idol. Jim Cantore is out.

Yea, my preferred way to die is in a big tornado watching it approach with nothing left to cling onto (recurring dream). Hurricanes are second best, but I'd prefer the "moment" to be a little quicker. I'd rather be sucked up and hurled into the sky rather than beaten to death in a storm surge by debris. But either is way better than dying in a car wreck, by cancer, old age, or my least favorite concept, "To die in my sleep." Aurggh!

Stumbled on this "Banter" thread after joining AmericanWX with Dorian, so I am so such a newbie. But I tell you what, this Banter is a new home for me. I will be attacked for sure. But what fun, you all are insane as hell! Almost as good as an approaching tornado...

I may drive a few of you nuts as well.

What fun!!!!!

From your location, you will reside in the SE forum. You won't drive me nuts for very long.

WELCOME!! :thumbsup:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Big Jims Videos said:

How badly will I be internet shamed if I post my Nassau and CoCoCay Perfect Day cruise photos we are supposed to be on in 2 weeks??? 

All kidding aside honestly I hope they change the itinerary.....

a cruise sounds awful.  the lowest common denominators of society fill those ships especially in September when prices are the cheapest.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, SENC said:

About that Image going around?

huh, NO a Satellite CANNOT, "SEE" and take a clear Image picture, as posted on the Storm Mode thread..

(Showing the flooded parts of the Island)..

Sorry ya'll are DUPED again..

Most satellites can't.

As the graph (below) shows, clouds reflect visible and infrared light quite well. In fact, visible light (approx. 0.4-0.7 microns in length) is more than 70% reflected by clouds! That means the light can't penetrate the cloud on the way down to earth, let alone penetrate the cloud on its way back up (satellites look down at angles ranging from 0-30 degrees) in order for the sensor to capture it.

https://www.quora.com/Can-satellites-see-through-clouds

Holy cheese on a cracker.   Are you one of those people that also believe the earth is flat?

That Island is absolutely, positively devastated.   There have been people sitting under Dorian for 24+ hours facing a natural disaster you likely cannot even begin to comprehend in your lifetime...and you’re going to spew some conspiracy theory bullshit?

I am late to the game here and rarely comment...you are a special kind of special.

Sit down.  Shut up.  Grow some humanity and stop with your juvenile crap about “if it was X it would look like *X*”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Not a regular here, but this really needs organization to provide help.

I'm thinking of 10,000 or so households that have lost everything and that are remote from any helping entity.

Is there a shuttle ferry or something similar (airport was under water afaik) to deliver basic supplies?

All we can do here is to send money, but who is a trustworthy recipient? Do any of the regulars here know?

https://www.bahamas.com/relief?fbclid=IwAR3SPFnaLk5rRIvb6s6da0DCB1oWNsCyJLWwYvzxZ10f0Bdfollqfxmkrhk

11 minutes ago, jburns said:

From your location, you will reside in the SE forum. You won't drive me nuts for very long. 

WELCOME!! :thumbsup:

Not sure whether to say Thank You, or not. But thanks for now. :)

Nothing like jumping into a nest of rattlesnakes.

Having fun reading, censoring my thoughts as much as I can for now. I am not a met, but a storm fanatic since my first one in Charleston, South Carolina in 1966, I think. Still see like last night our lawn furniture taking to the sky like butterflies...giant trees falling down...

1 hour ago, Snow88 said:

People  on social media are angry at Josh and think he is just for the spot light. 

Well? It's how He makes His living, (though part time)..  NOW,,,

BIG $$$$$$ Coming His way…

Wouldn't you do it also?

I would,, I'll even spout the False Hoax; of AGW, provide video, screaming, staged antics, .. Even Nekkid 

Folks would LOVE ME Hey,, Josh is sexy, with that beard ,, While Showering Me with $$$$

Yeah, I gotta do, that too, I gotta a brand new water proof Camera, and a chance.. Ft. Fisher/Bald Head Island is My target/chaser video..  come Chursday 

I need a few dollars more..

Que up Clint Eastwood theme  

A Few Dollars more.. 

50 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

a cruise sounds awful.  the lowest common denominators of society fill those ships especially in September when prices are the cheapest.

It's only my second one.  Got a deal for my birthday.  But at least Royal Caribbean is already pledging to help.  I know exactly what you're talking about though.  

Screenshot_20190903-201721.png

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, drexelkathy said:

Holy cheese on a cracker.   Are you one of those people that also believe the earth is flat?

That Island is absolutely, positively devastated.   There have been people sitting under Dorian for 24+ hours facing a natural disaster you likely cannot even begin to comprehend in your lifetime...and you’re going to spew some conspiracy theory bullshit?

I am late to the game here and rarely comment...you are a special kind of special.

Sit down.  Shut up.  Grow some humanity and stop with your juvenile crap about “if it was X it would look like *X*” 

**“if it was X it would look like *X*” **

It's called being,, realistic in LIFE.. 

Maybe you should study it sometime..

Also known as a Dog Eat Dog Kinda World,, as obviously, yours is Sheltered.. 

Need a Blinky or Safe Space? .. ;)

Just now, SENC said:

Well? It's how He makes His living, (though part time)..  NOW,,,

BIG $$$$$$ Coming Hisway…

Wouldn't you do it also?

I would,, I'll even spout the False Hoax; of AGW, provide video, screaming, staged antics, .. Even Nekkid 

Folks would <I> LOVE ME </I> ,, While Showering Me with $$$$

Yeah, I gotta do, that too, I gotta a brand new water proof Camera, and a chance.. Ft. Fisher/Bald Head Island is My target/chaser video..  come Chursday 

I need a few dollars more..

<I> Que up Clint Eastwood theme </I> 

A Few Dollars more.. 

Dream job, even more Nekkid. In fact, I'd pay to do that...even pay more to do it Nekkid!

Get paid to do what one wants to do anyway, paid to follow your passion? Even if you die doing it.

That's life, pure and simple. Living life!

If other's enjoy experiencing what you do from their sofa or PC, then you have hit the jackpot we all seek.

A 9 to 5 job, five days a week, security, fluff, being a sheep, following your leader when they cannot remember hearing of a Cat 5 after comforting homeless Americans in Mexico Beach just months ago after a Cat 5, UGH.

Give me Liberty, or Give me Death.

SENC, you may be making a joke, but you are speaking truth. Josh was crazy, brave, hit a jackpot if he is wise. I'd do it without a blink. (My wife would not approve, but hey we have to juggle our priorities.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Prospero said:

Dream job, even more Nekkid. In fact, I'd pay to do that...even pay more to do it Nekkid!

Get paid to do what one wants to do anyway, paid to follow your passion? Even if you die doing it.

If other's enjoy experiencing what you do from their sofa or PC, then you have hit the jackpot we all seek.

A 9 to 5 job, five days a week, security, fluff, being a sheep, following your leader when they cannot remember hearing of a Cat 5 after comforting homeless Americans in Mexico Beach just months ago after a Cat 5, UGH.

SENC, you may be making a joke, but you are speaking truth. Josh was crazy, brave, hit a jackpot if he is wise. I'd do it without a blink. (My wife would not approve, but hey we have to juggle our priorities.)

I APPROVE of this Message 1000 likes X 10.. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Prospero said:

Reed Timmer does this as well for a living. Pretty much my dream job of all time, nothing else would come close a side from a professional hockey player and even then it would be close.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SENC said:

**“if it was X it would look like *X*” **

It's called being,, realistic in LIFE.. 

Maybe you should study it sometime..

Also known as a Dog Eat Dog Kinda World,, as obviously, yours is Sheltered.. 

Need a Blinky or Safe Space? .. ;)

It’s not called being realistic, it’s called being egotistic.

you seem to think YOU know better than everyone else what the devastation from a hurricane looks like.

Are you a professional?  A historian?  What qualifications do you have to make these sort of claims?  And how many years of experience?

12 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Those of us who have been around here awhile know of many of Josh's previous hurricane adventures.  I have always appreciated his courage and reporting. I was really worried for him this time, Patricia notwithstanding.   Good news!

I am not sure if Josh has lots of courage or is a bit crazy to go chasing these hurricanes. 

Alright SENC, it's all starting to fit.

Big time skepticism of flood maps. Some allusions to this storm only being a cat 3. Prior skepticism of Michael's intensity last year.

And now a joking reference to storm chasing, and spouting the "False Hoax" of AGW. (which I had to look up, but apparently refers to global warming)

How far down the rabbit hole does the conspiracy go? :arrrg:

• Like 1

Just now, drexelkathy said:

It’s not called being realistic, it’s called being egotistic.

you seem to think YOU know better than everyone else what the devastation from a hurricane looks like.

Are you a professional?  A historian?  What qualifications do you have to make these sort of claims?  And how many years of experience?

Over 40 years of experience In the Zone ..  Once on a spoil Island here..... 33.919850, -78.231715

During Bertha.. 

On the beaches & Spoil Islands.. (I was a commercial Fisher (person))..  and wanted to experience a Cane (On the beach) quite the interesting experience, that one.. 

3 minutes ago, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

Alright SENC, it's all starting to fit.

Big time skepticism of flood maps. Some allusions to this storm only being a cat 3. Prior skepticism of Michael's intensity last year.

And now a joking reference to storm chasing, and spouting the "False Hoax" of AGW. (which I had to look up, but apparently refers to global warming)

How far down the rabbit hole does the conspiracy go? :arrrg:

Chem trails, didn't you hear? AND the Earth is Flat..  /SARC..  

5 minutes ago, Wannabehippie said:

I am not sure if Josh has lots of courage or is a bit crazy to go chasing these hurricanes. 

Perhaps....but those of us who are Midwesterners hold scientist/storm chaser Tim Samaras, killed in the May 2013 El Reno OK tornado in high esteem.  His passion must have been a little crazy too.

@YetAnotherRDUGuy says:..

Big time skepticism of flood maps.

NO they are outdated the Day they came out.. Quite honest about that..

Over-Development With NO regards, to the "Swamp" that is SENC.. 

Over-building, with "run-Off" NOT , being considered..   

Hence, 500 year storms" happening",,  almost every year, (even with heavy T-Storms") places are , or WILL be flooded..

Over-building with NO thoughts, on flooding OR how to drain "Wetlands".. 

I digress.. 

Regarding that "satellite image", it is indeed sort of a fake. If you look closely you can see that the water is just basically photoshopped (figuratively speaking) into the image, the waves are not breaking where they should be, etc, etc. What they did is use a sat to figure out where the new water (new coastline?) currently is and then made an image that looks like a photo but actually isn't. It's an "artist's conception" kind of deal except the artist was probably a computer algorithm and the position of the water is probably spot on. It is NOT a satellite photograph! Ya gotta be careful these days about what's real and what isn't.

18 minutes ago, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

"...and spouting the "False Hoax" of AGW."

Not sure I get the gist of what you are saying, but curious. You claim Global Warming is a hoax?

Still getting a feel for who is who around here, and it may take a very loooooong time. But among people who study the weather and climates, does anybody aware of how the planet works truly believe Global Warming by humans is a hoax? Granted those who are blind, or paid to be blind might say so, but people who are educated, intelligent, pay attention and study? No way. I'd have a hard time believing it.

OK, yea, I know, we humans are like tiny ants on a HUGE GIGANTIC orb floating around in space. How could anything we do affect Earth's climate? Silly to think so.

I am sorry, maybe this fever I have from a small bacterial infection is making me grumpy...damn little tiny microbes...

15 minutes ago, SENC said:

@YetAnotherRDUGuy says:..

NO they are outdated the Day they came out.. Quite honest about that..

Over-Development With NO regards, to the "Swamp" that is SENC.. 

Over-building, with "run-Off" NOT , being considered..   

Hence, 500 year storms" happening",,  almost every year, (even with heavy T-Storms") places are , or WILL be flooded..

Over-building with NO thoughts, on flooding OR how to drain "Wetlands".. 

I digress.. 

A whole can of worms opened up there. Some valid and some suspect. Too much to address in just one post.

You're right about SENC being one big swamp. Part of the reason it's never really been developed too much. Well, until recent years.