Total Members
    Most Online
    ianspace
    Newest Member
    ianspace
dryslot

September Weather Discussion 2019

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

That map really rubs it in lol. In all seriousness, it was the bane of my childhood growing up in the New Haven area. It seemed like every storm jacked Litchfield to Albany and east to Bradley, while we rotted under snizzle on the coastal plain. There's much I miss about living in the Boston area, but being on the receiving end of more Miller Bs tops the list for sure. Just so much easier to sneak a big event out that way. 

I'd rather HVN than GON.

Im wondering what contour Nashville gets?

It's so cute the way they talk about snow down here. They can't really picture more than a dusting

But, then again, I have no idea what it's like to have my entire town flooded by a river

49 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Not a Fall pattern at all. Looks warm to end Torchtember and beginning of Torchtober. 

Warm is good. Hopefully it's not it another head fake.

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

60-65”. Will can tell you exactly 

70 since Kevin W started wkevin.com in 2010 our snow depository. What a great database that is. Thanks again Kevin W for doing this.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Not a Fall pattern at all. Looks warm to end Torchtember and beginning of Torchtober. 

Meanwhile in our current fall its 44 here.  My hummingbirds have all left, sad

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Summer weekend. Until then, it's a taste of Autumn. Tomorrow may struggle for 60 in spots.

I bet if the wind were to be offshore, given that thermal plumb?  it would expose that 'autumnal vibe' as bootlegged. 

it's mild at 900 mb 13C?   mm, this is just an idiosyncrasy of this oddball fold-over look at H500 we've had pretty much all year, and it's favoring high pressures from the N to slope the lower sounding intervals unuually far left/upright.   

I mean I'd like to see an actual +PNAP pan American look before crediting autumn arrival - 

I'm almost wondering if the AMO is partly to blame for why troughs won't exit in a timely fashion.  Look at the Euro at 24 hours... trough in the Maritimes, but 48 hours the axis of that trough has progressed half way to England yet the heights won't rise over NE ... The following annotations are a gross repro for that, which has also been a repeating pattern of behavior for months frankly.. 

image.thumb.png.be648014ddee5bf396b814380136435b.png

( blue line is a "virtual" trajectory/emergent property of anticyclonic rotation of major features )

This recurring theme over several months morphs/slopes the trough backward W, while higher heights end up lobing NW, so we get this undercut look - like there is some sort of emergent property for anti-cyclonic curl going on at very large scales. This behavior has been happening and verifying all summer. It's kepts our above normals out of head-lines - which ...admittedly, no one would complain ha.  Buut, just the same, it's hiding the NE U.S. and Maritimes from being "as warm" as they could.