Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

By the time it reached northern Maine the wind was gone but not the water.  We had 6" RA, 90% falling 6-10PM on the 10th.  On the 11th one might have been able to surf the standing waves in the St.John.  A 50-yard stretch of Route 161 was blown out, cutting off that town and Allagash as a large number of woods road bridges also failed.  Next to our office west of Fort Kent downtown (I was a forester on a large family-owned landbase then) a DOT dump truck was sitting with back axles partly in a washed out culvert and front wheels 4 feet off the ground.

Was a mess in Vt too, more like Irene than unlike

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Except for the Sugarloaf area, where 8" RA blew out Route 27 bridges both N and S of the resort entrance, Maine dodged that bullet.  The 3-5" elsewhere was easily handled.  The Carrabassett River recorded its 2nd greatest peak flow (though way short of 1987) while on the Sandy it wasn't even that year's top CFS and the Irene peak of about 14,500 was a bit below the median for yearly max (15,200.)

Speaking of tropical systems a real nail biter if the 12Z Euro Dorian  solution ever comes to fruition.  Takes Dorian due west towards MIA/FLL.   Then just as the eye comes ashore it veers north all the way up the Florida coast either just onshore or just offshore.   The trend is your friend so perhaps Dorian will round the Bermuda high before landfall.  Many days to watch this.  

30 minutes ago, tamarack said:

By the time it reached northern Maine the wind was gone but not the water.  We had 6" RA, 90% falling 6-10PM on the 10th.  On the 11th one might have been able to surf the standing waves in the St.John.  A 50-yard stretch of Route 161 was blown out, cutting off that town and Allagash as a large number of woods road bridges also failed.  Next to our office west of Fort Kent downtown (I was a forester on a large family-owned landbase then) a DOT dump truck was sitting with back axles partly in a washed out culvert and front wheels 4 feet off the ground.  The apartment next to ours was getting foundation damage from the normally 2-3'-wide brook that was now flowing 2' deep and 100' wide across the highway.  We directed it between that apartment and the one where I lived, using bags of marble chips and bales of peat moss from Pelletier Florist across the street, and by the time things had clmed down, there was a trench between the apts 12' wide and 8' deep, and our back yards looked like river bottom gravel, rocks, and one old car hood washed from somewhere.

26 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Thanks guys. Always interesting to hear about stuff that came before my time, whether canes, blizzards or anything else. Appreciate it.

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Speaking of tropical systems a real nail biter if the 12Z Euro Dorian  solution ever comes to fruition.  Takes Dorian due west towards MIA/FLL.   Then just as the eye comes ashore it veers north all the way up the Florida coast either just onshore or just offshore.   The trend is your friend so perhaps Dorian will round the Bermuda high before landfall.  Many days to watch this.  

Smells a little like Matthew, or maybe Irma, which kept correcting SW further and further before making the turn north.

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Best body surfing and surfing day ever was just before Belle bisected LI in 1976.  The beach was closed, yea OK. Antique Polaroid of a 19 yr old me heading in. 

Screenshot_2015-12-06-15-07-54.png

I remember when I was a kid, the NL Day would have like a 1-sentence summary of the weather on the top of the front page.  That night (the Day was an evening paper back then) was "batten the hatches--Belle to strike tonight".  That headline was more memorable to me than the storm.  lol

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Kevin can come back to the board now. Sorry if I hurt your feelings last evening. We all love you. 

LOL--what happened?

21 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

So---if one were to have an option of being in the Troy area or the Bangor area, where'd one want to be for the best snow?  Obviously BGR wins the cold department, but I don't think they get any more snow than ORH.

#askingforafriend

Looking at it on a map I can’t imagine there is any difference.  They are pretty much next to each other (Troy and Bangor).

Or are you talking Troy, NY not Troy, ME?  Troy, VT gets a shit ton of snow up near Jay Peak.  

As far as snowfall, there is a huge portion of interior Northeast climo that averages 50-75”.  That seems to be the sweet spot for those that only see synoptic snow.  Getting above that you need elevation, mesoscale snow or just be pretty far north in latitude.

10 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

So---if one were to have an option of being in the Troy area or the Bangor area, where'd one want to be for the best snow?  Obviously BGR wins the cold department, but I don't think they get any more snow than ORH.

#askingforafriend

Troy, NY?

Just now, powderfreak said:

He must be thinking of NY.  Troy, ME is right next to Bangor...there’d be no difference.  

Sounds like a college question to me.  Guessing RPI or U.Maine.

idk...it's MPM though. It's important to know which side of the street averages more QPF.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Troy sucks for snow as does Albany.   Shadowed from all directions.

That’s way over-sold in that area... from growing up there we did just fine in synoptic events, and a few times a winter you’d get good squalls coming down the Mohawk Valley from the Lakes.  Sure there is once in a while some downslope event (but none really stand out to me growing up).  It’s not like BTV with 4000ft peaks dropping to 200ft.

Its the snow preservation that’s the stand out compared to like an ORH.  I mean ALB is a 60-65” average... pretty standard for that latitude of I-90.  It’s not great but it’s not like every event dries up.  ALB does real well in interior coastal storms.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That’s way over-sold in that area... from growing up there we did just fine in synoptic events, and a few times a winter you’d get good squalls coming down the Mohawk Valley from the Lakes.  Sure there is once in a while some downslope event (but none really stand out to me growing up).

Its the snow preservation that’s the stand out compared to like an ORH.  I mean ALB is a 60-65” average... pretty standard for that latitude of I-90.  It’s not great but it’s not like every event dries up.  ALB does real well in interior coastal storms.

Yes but the geography is a robber.  You’d go crazy there after living in Stowe.

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looking at it on a map I can’t imagine there is any difference.  They are pretty much next to each other (Troy and Bangor).

Or are you talking Troy, NY not Troy, ME?  Troy, VT gets a shit ton of snow up near Jay Peak.  

As far as snowfall, there is a huge portion of interior Northeast climo that averages 50-75”.  That seems to be the sweet spot for synoptic snow.  Getting above that you need elevation, mesoscale snow or just be pretty far north.  

23 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Troy, NY?

21 minutes ago, dendrite said:

seasonal_avg.png

16 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Troy sucks for snow as does Albany.   Shadowed from all directions.

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes--it was Troy, NY. 

What's the deal with the blue 60-70 swatch through Bangor?  Penobscot River Valley effect?  Screw that--I'll find a meth cabin in the pink area north of there.

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yes but the geography is a robber.  You’d go crazy there after living in Stowe.

I’d go crazy living most places after Stowe lol.  

I still don’t think it robs that much, I lived it and still watch it closely.  Of course there are events it is but the vast majority of ALB snowstorms revolve around mid-level banding which doesn’t give a shit about topography.  Sure the hills around may average 70” instead of 62”, but it’s really not that big of a deal from what i saw.  

You would notice the preservation much more than any downsloping as the CAD isn’t there at all.  

It’s really all mid-level banding and ALB does well in those big interior storms and I can think of at least a handful of storms since 2002 where ALB local area jackpotted from being the pivot point.  

I’m not trying to sell it as a snow haven, but I just don’t think you’d notice downsloping as much as you think.  The ones that do are the real stalled out easterly flow events like Dec 1992.  Pretty much all other coastal events are just mid-level banding.  SWFE also don’t really downslope from what I saw.  It was pretty much sustained strong easterly flow.  As soon as it goes NE though it’s all good.

You just need that pivot like this one from 2014 that dropped 20-30” over the ALB area.

DF288894-27FE-43E7-AD60-BE48D4D5917A.jpeg.ec7db512e0f3fe801daf0a53c89ef001.jpeg

A few other recent close calls: 

66A0F333-89B5-4E12-81C1-F210733AA19D.thumb.jpeg.1ed6ae062405c53e63cf14ee48acf878.jpeg

D2C3C081-2F90-4E3F-8FED-75E2CC233538.jpeg.e664f70087f4b471e7a2b9ffe151a76a.jpeg

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That’s way over-sold in that area... from growing up there we did just fine in synoptic events, and a few times a winter you’d get good squalls coming down the Mohawk Valley from the Lakes.  Sure there is once in a while some downslope event (but none really stand out to me growing up).

Elevation rises pretty quickly to 400-500ft+ on the eastern side of Troy too. A little further east of Troy and your somewhat close to the Rensselaer plateau which is sneaky decent upslope spot. 

I drive through there frequently going to ALB airport for work--You can see some differences in snowpack at times going from Troy(or just east of there) down into Albany.  Is it the retention of Tamaracks backyard, no. 

Ahh the interior storms. Man that's going to be tough when they come back. Given my difficulties managing meteorological emotions, I'd have to take a break from this place. You'd think getting older would make you wiser. It's like I have an inner Kevin in me, only I know what I am talking about. Lets hope for 02-03 for everyone.

• Haha 4

Good to see so many NEWX folks over in the tropical forum..

Which I have recently taken some interest in...  seeing as we now own a house in FL that we're halfway moved into.. we're watching Dorian from afar, we do have someone who will get the hurricane shutters closed for us..

pretty interesting; I find myself saying the same things I say when watching a snowstorm develop.. like "The models are drifting that way, but they're gonna drift back.."

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Ahh the interior storms. Man that's going to be tough when they come back. Given my difficulties managing meteorological emotions, I'd have to take a break from this place. You'd think getting older would make you wiser. It's like I have an inner Kevin in me, only I know what I am talking about. Lets hope for 02-03 for everyone.

Uh-huh, just let me know when you think the interior thumps are making a comeback. TIA.

:popcorn:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Uh-huh, just let me know when you think the interior thumps are making a comeback. TIA.

:popcorn:

It's not if, but when. I'm not saying expect a whiplash reaction to storms tracking over SE MA, but statistically, our exorbitant snow averages will regress, while yours may go up a bit. 

• Like 2