Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

12 minutes ago, TriPol said:

Sweet! What time can we expect the storms tomorrow?

highest chances look to be 4-7PM for the city. maybe something isolated as early as ~2. still some variability in timing, so we could see that move up or back by 1-2h.

1 hour ago, uofmiami said:

I was 86 & 89 last two days, same unit with sun on it.  Surprised you didn’t hit 90 being away from coastal winds.  I’m noticing since my move last year having more lawn around helps keep the heat down just a tad on most days from what I had at my old location.

The expansive grass makes a significant difference. I'm very similar to KTTN readings most of the time, which is sited in a rural grass area in NW Mercer. Yesterday I JUST missed 90, 89.4F actual, so extremely close. Your readings may be veracious. The fact that other wunderground stations nearby are warmer than you is not convincing evidence because most are improperly sited, or stations less precise than DVP2 aspirated. For the ASOS spots, one also must consider the land use in the immediate area. Like I said, KTTN is a good spot to check my numbers due to similar land use.

10 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

The expansive grass makes a significant difference. I'm very similar to KTTN readings most of the time, which is sited in a rural grass area in NW Mercer. Yesterday I JUST missed 90, 89.4F actual, so extremely close. Your readings may be veracious. The fact that other wunderground stations nearby are warmer than you is not convincing evidence because most are improperly sited, or stations less precise than DVP2 aspirated. For the ASOS spots, one also must consider the land use in the immediate area. Like I said, KTTN is a good spot to check my numbers due to similar land use.

Meh. The poster, who I respect, recorded numbers 2-3 degrees lower than every ASOS site in the tri state area and most pws. More a sensor issue than siting.

come to think of it, his numbers in winter were also a few degrees cooler than most.

1 hour ago, Isotherm said:

So many of those all in one units mounted on rooftops.

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

Meh. The poster, who I respect, recorded numbers 2-3 degrees lower than every ASOS site in the tri state area and most pws. More a sensor issue than siting.

come to think of it, his numbers in winter were also a few degrees cooler than most.

Brand new weather station, put it up in October.  I'm at 210 feet ASL FWIW.  My car thermometer backs up my weather station.  For example today, 87 on my wx station and once I drove, temp dropped from 91 parked on blacktop driveway at startup, down to 87 once driven.  Went up to 88 by CW Post, 90 by Roslyn and 95 by Americana (Manhasset) all the way to Great Neck.  All while driving along Northern Blvd.  Same thing happened yesterday, my station is sited as best it can be on property.  I personally think a lot of weather stations are not sited correctly and don't have a FARS.  I could use my Netatmo if you want, as it was a blazing 93.5 yesterday, but I know it's not accurate & strapped to a deck post.

1 hour ago, doncat said:

So many of those all in one units mounted on rooftops.

My neighbor has an old VP1 on his roof with anemometer, which has trees interfering with wind, etc.  Thankfully he doesn't put his data online.

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

Drove back to Commack and temp ticked up to 91, same as my pws. Town is in a little valley and is more built up than surrounding areas, maybe that’s why we roast 

That's why my parent's house (Muttontown) is a little warmer compared to me in Syosset.  They are in a valley (145 ft ASL), if you drive on Northern Blvd, the downhill to the Old Brookville police dept is where that station is nearby. So a W to NW wind will downslope to the station.  I'm sure the same things happens with your weather station, if the topography is like that.  It's fascinating how LI is with all the little nuances and the effects on weather.

when I moved to Staten Island from Brooklyn I noticed daytime highs were a little higher and night time lows a little lower...I had a 90 degree day in March 1998 and a 100 degree day in April 2002...now i'm in a different location on the island and it's still a hot spot...91 presently here...