Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2019 Discussion

weatherwiz

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I think that's the biggest difference I notice between down in CT and up north here a county south of Canada.  The dew points.  We often have summer highs not too much different than ORH at 1,000ft but nights are a lot cooler and the dews average quite a bit lower.  The dews really make a difference, like in summer a Td of 57 vs 64 is palpable.

Well there is this big pond nearby 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Wonder if I have something in my truck AC. One year old Ridgeline and needed new condenser this week. Still blows crap for cold air. My wife's Venza, you have to turn up the temp after a few minutes as it get's too cold. Anyway, up to 84.4F. Outta work in 10min, off to Naples.

My mountaineer is just getting cold after 12 minute commute back to Southie from Dot

2 hours ago, West Mtn NY said:

Summer is a quarter of the calender year and some years May and /or October have hot spells. Hell it can be a soupy 65/65 out there anytime and I will flip the damn thing on to take the moisture out of the house. I hate sleeping when I feel clammy. You are retired, I am getting there. The things in life I won't tolerate are being uncomfortable in my home and not eating well. 

Here here, drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HimoorWx said:

Camped at Zion National Park about 10 years ago.  Stayed in the Park campground at the southern end . . . walked out of the park and down the street for coffee and muffins for breakfast, then out of the park and down the street for drinks and Thai food in the evening!  Camping the way it was meant to be!!!  :D

A few years ago we went whitewater rafting on the Kennebec in Maine.  The campground had its own brewery on site...that’s the way to do it.

Sadly, it was a scout trip so I couldn’t partake.

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A few years ago we went whitewater rafting on the Kennebec in Maine.  The campground had its own brewery on site...that’s the way to do it.

Whitewater rafting and beer . . . what could go wrong!  Sounds like fun!!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

Runs colder in the winter and hotter in the summer.  DIT must be in charge of the readings.  At least I don't have to use two different cities to be hotter and colder!

Other way around. A positive error means the station is running cooler than expected. They get some anomalously cool mins in the warm season. Looks like everything started shifting warmer (negative errors) in the last 2 years.

48 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

okay? 

.. i would hope someone might... :) 

So did I, and if I'd been the one in the story, I'd have fielded at least a half dozen yellowjacket stings because they've liked me that much since I was 5 years old and ran into the house screaming so my mom could kill the seven that rode thru the door in my clothes.

Does anyone not live in a modern energy efficient house here?

On modern energy efficient airtight homes you dont open the windows. You have HRV/ERV (heat/energy recovery ventilation). All incoming outside air is regulated and either precooled or heated with exhaust air with about 75% efficiency. There is very little air heat or cooling loss while keeping fresh air mixed in.

These homes HVAC systems are all using insanely efficient inverter heat pumps that provide both heat and cooling at insane efficiency. Some units have efficiency ratings of around 480%.  Oil and natural gas is going away as the heat loss on these houses is so low that a 12-24k btu unit is more than adequate. Most people on here probably have 80-120k btu furnaces/boilers and probably send around half of that or more back outside with a leaky poorly insulated house.

There is also very advanced filtration available now that filter out the air extremely well and even have UV lights to kill bacteria.  Outside air pollution is real thing that people dont want to be breathing in especially with allergies/respiratory problems. Extensive testing has been done that show the inside air in you home vastly cleaner comapred to outside air with a good system in place.

The EPA monitors air quality and it is poor here right now. Looks like down in NYC/NJ its really bad.

https://airnow.gov/

• Like 1

On modern energy efficient airtight homes you dont open the windows. You have HRV/ERV (heat/energy recovery ventilation). All incoming outside air is regulated and either precooled or heated with exhaust air with about 75% efficiency. There is very little air heat or cooling loss while keeping fresh air mixed in.
These homes HVAC systems are all using insanely efficient inverter heat pumps that provide both heat and cooling at insane efficiency. Some units have efficiency ratings of around 480%.  Oil and natural gas is going away as the heat loss on these houses is so low that a 12-24k btu unit is more than adequate. Most people on here probably have 80-120k btu furnaces/boilers and probably send around half of that or more back outside with a leaky poorly insulated house.
There is also very advanced filtration available now that filter out the air extremely well and even have UV lights to kill bacteria.  Outside air pollution is real thing that people dont want to be breathing in especially with allergies/respiratory problems. Extensive testing has been done that show the inside air in you home vastly cleaner comapred to outside air with a good system in place.
The EPA monitors air quality and it is poor here right now. Looks like down in NYC/NJ its really bad.
We have hrv, but it does nothing for cooling

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

This is New England. Lol, Some homes up here were built in the 1800’s, Mine was in the 40’s

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Don’t worry, I helped them liquidate the inventory.

• Haha 1