Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
SNE "Tropical" Season Discussion 2019

Torch Tiger

Just now, Hoth said:

Yeah, Dorian is super impressive, but a cat 3 barreling into NE at 40-50mph wins IMO. '38 dropped billions of board-feet of timber. This pic was from the Harvard forest, way up around Worcester.

hurricane_3_640_385.jpg

2.6 billion or so. There were trees down over roughly a third of all of New England.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Yeah, Dorian is super impressive, but a cat 3 barreling into NE at 40-50mph wins IMO. '38 dropped billions of board-feet of timber. This pic was from the Harvard forest, way up around Worcester.

hurricane_3_640_385.jpg

Somewhere I have a picture book from the early 1940's from New Hampshire, the damage was pretty incredible even up there.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Somewhere I have a picture book from the early 1940's from New Hampshire, the damage was pretty incredible even up there.

Lots of good stuff from the raw COOP forms from back then too. The oberserver comments mention widespread coniferous tree damage right up through the Lakes Region.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrianW said:

There was an aerial plane survey done after the 38 hurricane. 

Pages 12-14 have some of the RI coastline. That area got hit hard.

http://cslib.cdmhost.com/digital/collection/p4005coll10/search/searchterm/Aerial survey!index sheet!1938/field/title!title!title/mode/exact!none!exact/conn/and!and!and/order/title/ad/asc

Catastrophic stuff for some areas, at least very damaging.

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

Lots of good stuff from the raw COOP forms from back then too. The oberserver comments mention widespread coniferous tree damage right up through the Lakes Region.

MHT/CON and the higher hills surrounding were rocked. There are very few trees older than the 38 hurricane in the hills. :twister:

400,000 were without power in Nova Scotia early this AM  50,000 in Prince Edward Island and 50,000 in New Brunswick.  Customers, not people.  Biggest power outage event in their history.  Dorian really slammed them.  Watching various TV news this AM.  Not even mentioning this.  

4 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

400,000 were without power in Nova Scotia early this AM  50,000 in Prince Edward Island and 50,000 in New Brunswick.  Customers, not people.  Biggest power outage event in their history.  Dorian really slammed them.  Watching various TV news this AM.  Not even mentioning this.  

US news outlets have no interest in Atlantic Canada. it's boring.  It will be a slow process getting everybody online as it will be a street by street effort.  At one point 80% of Nova Scotia was without power.  I can't imagine there are much more than 50k people on PEI.  New Brunswick has a lot of customers out as well.

12 hours ago, BrianW said:

There was an aerial plane survey done after the 38 hurricane. 

Pages 12-14 have some of the RI coastline. That area got hit hard.

http://cslib.cdmhost.com/digital/collection/p4005coll10/search/searchterm/Aerial survey!index sheet!1938/field/title!title!title/mode/exact!none!exact/conn/and!and!and/order/title/ad/asc

Hey thanks for the link. The circled house is where my dad arrived and took refuge until it was safe to look for survivors. That pile of rubble is a mile away from the ocean.  The second picture is a picture I took from that location looking out towards the ocean

Screenshot_20190908-110224_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190908-110613_Photos.jpg

• Like 1

A day or two ago NHC had a 70% chance of 94L developing but have been decreasing the odds.  Now 40% at 8am.  Since then it has developed a spin.  Moving west and should continue.  Will be interesting to watch.  As we get deeper into fall the troughs become stronger.  Seems like some of the biggest cane's are later in the season for us, timing of troughs and ridges become critical

• Like 2

On 9/7/2019 at 10:46 AM, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeeeah, but in your defense ... that's sooo typical of that administration's tact - or has been to date... Fire anyone of rank and file, that offers the mere impropriety of opposition to the perspectives of the cadre, in lieu of hiring anyone that in fact supports said intentions -

What do we call that class  ? 

FAscism!

Very good - y'all get a A.

What?  Are we in the weeds - we can't f'n see this happening?  

Working in Cadet training at West Point for my retirement career, I am old enough to remember a military purge of top hierarchy in 2008-2009 by the new POTUS who decided that decades of experience was expendable if you didn't have a gentler liberal viewpoint when it came to waging war. This unilateral action was much more dangerous IMO than any removal of an executive branch cabinet member or administration head that was dismissed for political ideology reasons. This also occurred with the dismissal of selected Federal Prosecutors. If we are going to throw around the "F" word, let's not be hypocritical to what recent predecessors partook in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, West Mtn NY said:

Working in Cadet training at West Point for my retirement career, I am old enough to remember a military purge of top hierarchy in 2008-2009 by the new POTUS who decided that decades of experience was expendable if you didn't have a gentler liberal viewpoint when it came to waging war. This unilateral action was much more dangerous IMO than any removal of an executive branch cabinet member or administration head that was dismissed for political ideology reasons. This also occurred with the dismissal of selected Federal Prosecutors. If we are going to throw around the "F" word, let's not be hypocritical to what recent predecessors partook in. 

You a retired police officer?  That would (it seems) qualify you uniquely for the retirement job.

2 hours ago, West Mtn NY said:

Yup, there are many instances for both political parties throwing their weight around when it comes to department heads and ideology.  That’s why a lot of those moves no one can blame the current POTUS, everyone does it.  

The fun non-partisan stuff everyone can laugh at together is like reminiscing about the last time a POTUS held a press conference with hand drawn maps to prove a 3-day old tweet...South Park might have done that episode too.

11 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Ugh idk why I’m diving into this, but there’s a difference between cleaning house because of ideology, even if the ideology is extreme, and literally forcing departments to endorse or perpetuate things that are objectively false.

There are thousands of political appointee positions across government that change based on the administration. Sometimes it’s a 180 in policy as a result. We accept that as the cost of elections. What we should not accept is using the levers of government in the service of one person as opposed to service of the people. I don’t care who that person is or what party they represent. 

It seems to me that idea is antiquated these days. For a lot of people it seems that “their guy” can do no wrong and if they do, it becomes a race to justify the behavior by saying “well what about X”. Note I’m speaking of a person and not a party, which is plenty pervasive IMO and dangerous in its on right.

That’s no way to run a country, and no way to be a thoughtful participant in civic life. 

It's true that every admin turns over the majority of political appointees to align with their ideology. I have no qualms about that.

What I have noticed lately though is that a historically non-partisan, science agency (NOAA) seems to be increasingly run by politcos who don't have the larger view in mind as they make decisions. Ideally NOAA outlasts the Trump administration, so senior leadership needs to think beyond just 4 or 8 years.

That's why I'm upset about the recent NOAA statement. A short term "win" against the NWS (which is crazy because nobody from the NWS was against anything/anyone in the first place), is a long term "loss" for people who rely on trusted weather forecasts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Ugh idk why I’m diving into this, but there’s a difference between cleaning house because of ideology, even if the ideology is extreme, and literally forcing departments to endorse or perpetuate things that are objectively false.

There are thousands of political appointee positions across government that change based on the administration. Sometimes it’s a 180 in policy as a result. We accept that as the cost of elections. What we should not accept is using the levers of government in the service of one person as opposed to service of the people. I don’t care who that person is or what party they represent. 

It seems to me that idea is antiquated these days. For a lot of people it seems that “their guy” can do no wrong and if they do, it becomes a race to justify the behavior by saying “well what about X”. Note I’m speaking of a person and not a party, which is plenty pervasive IMO and dangerous in its on right.

That’s no way to run a country, and no way to be a thoughtful participant in civic life. 

Lol man you are naive