WxUSAF

March 3-4, 2019 Snow Discussion and Obs

5 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Won't play for me .....:mellow:

thanks—i just updated the link

• Like 1

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

About 1/2" or so

Basically the same obs here. Been just light snow for the past 30 minutes or so. Nice band incoming from the west though. Models did pretty well with where the rain/snow line would set up early.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Basically the same obs here. Been just light snow for the past 30 minutes or so. Nice band incoming from the west though. Models did pretty well with where the rain/snow line would set up early.

Same.  Lost the decent rates about the same time ago.   Drip, drip, drip.  Hopefully, we can get get some good stuff later this afternoon / evening when the sun gets lower.

• Like 2

I have what I'll call a coating- 1/2".

We'll get decent rates and then light snow which gives plenty of time for the melting of the snow that actually did stick. Rinse and repeat.

No question I will end up with far less than the 4-8 that was progged for MBY.

• Like 1

Grass is trying to cave. Not expecting much. Too close to mix line and too warm to start but I expected that for days so not a bummer. If I get an honest inch I'll be satisfied. Watching snow fall never gets old though

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Warm Nose said:

I have what I'll call a coating- 1/2".

We'll get decent rates and then light snow which gives plenty of time for the melting of the snow that actually did stick. Rinse and repeat.

No question I will end up with far less than the 4-8 that was progged for MBY.

Dont short change yourself yet. Someone is going to get hit pretty hard later this evening. All of the models have a 3 hour period of heavy snow. It just depends where the r/s line ends up setting up.

Looks like rates might be a little lower over the next hour or so. I do have some grass coating here in Dundalk but no signs of any pavement caving yet. 

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Where did the changeover happen?

Honestly, it seems like the fall line (ish) was the changeover since it was snow TV until getting off the GW Parkway.  I live just east of the fall line on the border of Arlington/Alexandria and its mostly rain (with some sleet/snow mixing in that I can hear against the window now).

It snowed the entire drive home (heaviest in Garrett and Allegany counties)...it was just starting to accumulate on I-68 in Garrett County as we left around noon but other than that, 68/70/270 were just wet.  Not much accumulation on the ground after Allegany county.  I stopped for gas in Meyersville and it was moderate snow, car thermometer said 34 degrees, and it had just started to accumulate on mulch/grass there.

How is it out by you?  I hope you guys do well.

• Like 1

Down to 33.1/32.8 and gradually but steadily falling, cold surfaces are whitening up. It'll be cold enough at the surface to accumulate on the non paved surfaces. Problem is the WAA probably flips us over down in the tropics.